Author Topic: Mango Bud selection  (Read 2917 times)

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
Mango Bud selection
« on: July 13, 2019, 10:24:01 AM »
I recently prepared mango budwood to graft by cutting off leaves. It seems that the growth under the prepared section is ready to graft. Should i take the section under the prepared section? Or wait until/if the prepared section buds swell? Is the bottom section ready to be used?

“Prepared section”

Lower section

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:26:07 AM by Goyo626 »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Bud selection
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 05:44:21 PM »
Yes, both flushes are ready to use.
Har

Goyo626

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »
Yes, both flushes are ready to use.

I thought the buds in the first pic were not ready but this is why this forum is such a wealth of knowledge. Now ill have two chances to succeed. Thanks.

Goyo626

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 07:35:55 PM »
I ended up grafting the two scions onto rootstock on july 15th. Both scions are still green but the buds havent began to push. Is it normal for no activity to occur after more than two weeks?

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 08:54:15 AM »
I grafted Lemon Zest onto a Manila seedling back in late April....it just threw out its first flush of leaves maybe a month ago. So it was green without much action for 1.5 months. Also grafted 2 sweet tart scions in late May and the buds are just now pushing thru the buddy tape. I don’t put a brown paper bag/plastic bag or anything to protect the scions but I am thinking of changing that up to see if I get results faster than waiting 2 months.

Goyo626

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 09:31:25 AM »
I grafted Lemon Zest onto a Manila seedling back in late April....it just threw out its first flush of leaves maybe a month ago. So it was green without much action for 1.5 months. Also grafted 2 sweet tart scions in late May and the buds are just now pushing thru the buddy tape. I don’t put a brown paper bag/plastic bag or anything to protect the scions but I am thinking of changing that up to see if I get results faster than waiting 2 months.

Good to know. Were the scions buds swollen when removed from the tree?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 02:08:31 PM »
Your scions could have been allowed to swell up a bit more but they were plenty good for a successful graft. In SoCal, it can take a while for buds to swell big unless there is a lot of heat. Some grafts can stall for many months. Make sure you pinch back buds from below the graft union.

Often when you do a cleft graft, the area immediately beneath the graft union will try to push new growth because the apical tip was removed. If you allow the buds to push out, it will pull energy away from your grafted scion.

Simon

Goyo626

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »
Your scions could have been allowed to swell up a bit more but they were plenty good for a successful graft. In SoCal, it can take a while for buds to swell big unless there is a lot of heat. Some grafts can stall for many months. Make sure you pinch back buds from below the graft union.

Often when you do a cleft graft, the area immediately beneath the graft union will try to push new growth because the apical tip was removed. If you allow the buds to push out, it will pull energy away from your grafted scion.

Simon

Thanks i was getting a little worried. I pulled back the parafilm and the buds are very swollen one and the other is swollen but not to the same degree. Should i reapply parafilm or just let them be. I did two side cleft grafts and i have been pinching the buds near the top of the canopy. Ill make sure to give the lower buds a pinch. Thanks. With mid 90 degree weather when can i expect to see some action (if any) on the graft?

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 02:39:21 PM »

Yes, I prepped two Sweet Tart scions as I have that tree on turpentine. The buds were nicely swollen. Both scions are pushing now on a manila seedling.

The Lemon Zest was the only success out of 12 scions i ordered from Florida. 

Yea Simon i have had to pinch back little buds constantly on the Sweet Tart grafts. I didn't know about that until i asked Behl about that in person as i was unsure how the effect would be. Wish i would have known that when I grafted the 12 scions from Florida, I probably would have had more than one success as some scions stayed green for more than a month.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 02:56:35 PM »

Simon

Thanks i was getting a little worried. I pulled back the parafilm and the buds are very swollen one and the other is swollen but not to the same degree. Should i reapply parafilm or just let them be. I did two side cleft grafts and i have been pinching the buds near the top of the canopy. Ill make sure to give the lower buds a pinch. Thanks. With mid 90 degree weather when can i expect to see some action (if any) on the graft?

In this heat, most grafts push in about two weeks. Grafts with poor unions can take much longer. If the Parafilm has been removed for over two weeks and has still not shriveled, you are probably ok just leaving it but it wouldn’t hurt to reapply a layer.

Simon

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »
This stage I like to harvest my bud wood

Ed

Zone 10

Goyo626

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 07:40:43 PM »
This stage I like to harvest my bud wood

Ed

Thanks for the visual ill keep it in mind. The reason i posted the thread was because i had prepared a scion hoping it would get to the point that looks like your pic. What i noticed was that a lower section of the same branch looked very similar to your pic (except it didnt have the terminal bud). So my conundrum was either to wait and possibly miss an opportunity to harvest the bottom section or take both sections. Har advised that both sections were suitable for grafting so i decided to take both.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 08:16:25 PM »
Ed, that’s a perfect scion. Har was right and both scions were ready to use.

Simon

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 08:56:47 PM »
Thanks Simon!
Zone 10

Goyo626

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 12:22:28 PM »
Update. After weeks weeks there hasnt been much change. Both grafts have just sat there. Both graft are still green. And i have been diligently rubbing off growth below the grafts as well as pinching swollen buds below and above the grafts. But in the last couple of days i have noticed a bud swelling.

And this one is of an unrelated graft i did in late june that has barely started to push. My guess is simon is right and my grafting technique doesnt allow for optimal cambium contact.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
Congrats on the grafts pushing! It's amazing that they survived with only one side of the clef match. In SoCal grafts took more than 4 weeks to push is normal even in the middle of Summer. I would rather they stayed dorman this long to heal the graft union good before nursing the new hungry growths.

Goyo626

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 10:01:07 PM »
The top pics was a side cleft graft. The other one was indeed a regular cleft graft. I cant remember if these were lined up on one side or both.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 11:12:45 PM »
For stalled grafts, I sometimes unwrap them about every 3 weeks to make sure there is no mold or rot. Sometimes the petioles are trying to fall off but the Parafilm or buddytape holds them in place, preventing them from falling off. These leaf petioles can start the decay process and moisture held with the scion combined with heat can germinate spores.

Your stalled scion looks pretty good. If you see yellowish condensation build up or if you see any signs of mold, you will definitely want to unwrap, spray with something like a copper soap, allow to dry and re wrap. Let us know how it goes.

Simon

Goyo626

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 03:43:04 PM »
Update:

They really seem to grow by the hour once they start to flush. This is the same pics from my last post (the first 3 pics).

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 05:10:36 PM »
Congratulations Goyo, beautiful push.

Simon

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 06:16:22 AM »
Looking great!
Congrats!

Ed
Zone 10

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »
Success! Feels so good just to see a little green popping.