Author Topic: Sweet Tart Mango Tree - Good Calif Production in 2021  (Read 2095 times)

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Sweet Tart Mango Tree - Good Calif Production in 2021
« on: June 22, 2021, 06:02:04 PM »
My five year old Sweet Tart mango tree has some good fruit set this year. I am hoping the tree is mature enough to produce well hear at my location consistently. I did some modest thinning of the fruit to eliminate excessive fruitlets on the limbs. Any body else out there in SoCal that has a sweet Tart mango growing.? Would be interesting to compare notes. If we get some warm-hot weather I hope to begin harvesting in late August. Temps have been fairly mild hear throughout spring.  Enclosed are a few recent photos.

Also my Val-Carrie and Peach Cobbler produced very well this year with heavy fruit set but I had to remove all of the small fruitlets on the two year old graft to focus the tree on vegetative growth of the tree. Mallika and Nam Doc Mai also produced fairly well. The big disappointment was Coconut Cream. Heavy flowering but no fruit set on my five year old CC. Perhaps next year.

Johnny

Sweet Tart with Developing Fruit

Sweet Tart Mango Tree

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Tart Mango Tree - Good Calif Production in 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 06:31:41 PM »
I don't have ST but all of my LZ are seedless and cracked open this year. I had some good fruits the last 2 years though.
The fruits look great and some up to egg size, then cracked open and I saw no seed. So I hope you don't have the same issue.

BTW, I hope your trees have no fruits facing the sidewalk :)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 06:32:12 PM »
Most Sweet Tart trees perform great here. I posted many pictures a couple years ago and my small grafted trees and even ST seedlings are holding fruit like a champ.

Simon

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 03:12:54 AM »
Johnny Eat Fruit
I love the structure on your trees.  My sweet tart on turpentine rootstock grows and fruits fine here. It's the best producing tree i have. I let mine grow out of control so not so nice looking. 

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 06:56:22 AM »
Hahahha... West coast, East Coast, the Sweet Tart mango cult and obsession is intensifying as hungry animals and humans see them hanging. Florida they are about to arrive. A few early ones have already. West Coast has longer to be concerned about them. They have months longer to endure. Mango counselors have been lined up, interventions might have to be staged.

The biggest problems I have is that animals prefer them. Also they are prone to uneven ripening. Some of the animal gourmets will eat the yellow portion and leave the green portion alone for the squirrelly plebs to scrounge and eat....or not. Similar to what deer like to do in a field of summer sweet corn. Taking bites out of many ears.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:05:45 AM by zands »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 08:24:33 AM »
My Double Stone grafted Sweet Tart set a ton of fruit but has gone through its early fruit drop with plenty still remaining. It’s a small tree because it fruits consistently every year even though I get powdery mildew on the blooms.

My Sweet Tart seedling #1 and Sweet Tart Seedling #2 both bloomed this year and set fruit even with very heavy powdery mildew infection.

Sweet Tart does fine on Turpentine rootstock here. I highly recommend this variety!

Simon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 08:35:47 AM »
Yay! FL was able to give something worthwhile to CA besides Gatorade.  (How do low-chill FL peaches do in SoCal?)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:39:33 AM by johnb51 »
John

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 09:52:27 AM »
Good to see other people are having success growing Sweet Tart mango. Simon looks like you will have a bountiful harvest this year with your tree.

As far the the critters go the squirrels are busy stealing my macadamia nuts and the rats and possums are happy to eat my strawberry's and apples. Hopeful my mangos will be ripen without be munched on.

A few years back I also grafted Sweet Tart and Angle onto a single mango seedling tree in Alhambra which is much further inland, and much hotter, than my location. I was there last fall and the tree was doing very well with both varieties growing robustly, I will go back again in a few weeks to see how the trees are doing. I actually have (4) mango trees with various grafts at that location. Will be interesting to compare the fruit and trees over time at the two different locations.

Johnny

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 11:16:18 AM »
Beautiful trees! I’ve reserved several spots in my orchard for ST. It’ll be a few years before they are large enough to fruit though
Kenny

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 01:35:38 PM »
  (How do low-chill FL peaches do in SoCal?)
I've been told they don't taste great, by the coast anyway, due to May gray/June gloom. Later peaches ripen better.
- Val

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 10:07:10 PM »
In the inland valleys Snow Queen is remarkable.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 10:19:07 PM »
  (How do low-chill FL peaches do in SoCal?)
I've been told they don't taste great, by the coast anyway, due to May gray/June gloom. Later peaches ripen better.
It was always hard to grow good peaches by the coast.  Babcock was the only one that seemed to do well back in the old days.
John

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 08:19:33 PM »
The pic of ST leaves, fruits, tree posted by Simon, looks just like my Peach Cobbler, except the little red tint on ST and not one PC. Might be they are closely relative, as PC also doing fine on FL rootstock but the branches are drooping.

Groovyfruit

• Redlands, CA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 12:46:55 AM »
Great to see such nice trees in SoCal.
I'm wondering, to those who have success with ST and Peach Cobbler-- do you tend to plant Florida rootstock trees into the ground at the 3g or 7g size, or grow them larger than that in pots first?

Thanks ahead for advice,

T

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 01:44:34 AM »
Plant on ground ASAP.