Author Topic: Growing Gandaria/Maprang/Mango Plum In Southern California Zone 9B  (Read 1687 times)

Istanabungur

• Riverside
    • View Profile
Hello to everyone,
I just got 20 gandaria seedlings yesterday evening and are extremely excited about growing them. However, I never grow these trees prior and needed a lot of help, information on how to grow these successfully in Riverside, California, Zone 9B. I love the young fruits of gandaria to make gandaria hot sauce but since I cannot travel due to covid19, I decided to try growing these to see if I can get any fruits in several years. The seedling are all between 1-2 feet talls and I temporary put the bigger ones on a bin because I found out that their roots are pretty long and did not fit in a gallon container ( the seller told me the seedlings are only 12 inches tall). Any tips ?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:13:23 PM by Istanabungur »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Gandaria/Maprang/Mango Plum In Southern California Zone 9B
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 02:20:51 PM »
I don't have any tips, but I have one of these growing in a ~18" tall rootmaker pot and it has been quite happy.  No insect infections or other issues for me.  I have barely paid attention to it and it went from 6in tall when I received it to 2-3ft now.

I was mistaking this for another tree I have  - ignore this comment
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:47:48 PM by brian »

Istanabungur

• Riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
Brian, how long do you have yours? Any fruit/flowers yet?

Istanabungur

• Riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
I don't have any tips, but I have one of these growing in a ~18" tall rootmaker pot and it has been quite happy.  No insect infections or other issues for me.  I have barely paid attention to it and it went from 6in tall when I received it to 2-3ft now.
How long do it takes you to grow to 2-3 feet? Is your gandaria placed in sunny spot or shade? any flowers/fruits yet?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 02:47:09 PM »
Gah I'm sorry, I just realized I was confusing this with another one of my plants (a Malay Apple).  It looks like my Maprang has in fact barely grown at all since I got it last summer.  It didn't look happy over the winter and just put out new growth a month or two ago.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »
You could try find tree pots to accommodate your current seedling long tap roots.

My experience in trying to grow maprang in So Cal is that they do not do well when the humidity level drops to 1 digit. The plant could never recover from 1 digit humidity level and would slowly perish.

Currently, I'm germinating some seeds and the plan is to try grafting the seedlings onto mango rootstocks. I've done this before way back in 2012 or something. It seemed to work as the scions flushed 3-4 times before the whole plants died. I'm not sure if that was due to incompatibility or care issues on my part. So now that I have more times, I'm going to try this again. But it will be my last attempt at growing maprang in So Cal.
Thera

Istanabungur

• Riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 03:02:01 PM »
You could try find tree pots to accommodate your current seedling long tap roots.

My experience in trying to grow maprang in So Cal is that they do not do well when the humidity level drops to 1 digit. The plant could never recover from 1 digit humidity level and would slowly perish.

Currently, I'm germinating some seeds and the plan is to try grafting the seedlings onto mango rootstocks. I've done this before way back in 2012 or something. It seemed to work as the scions flushed 3-4 times before the whole plants died. I'm not sure if that was due to incompatibility or care issues on my part. So now that I have more times, I'm going to try this again. But it will be my last attempt at growing maprang in So Cal.

Thank you for letting me know. I will buy pots that fits their root. I will water over the plant leaves twice a day then to create its environment, just like my green syzygium semarangnese to promote new growth. I wonder of its behaviour will be like a mango. My Keitt mango (in 5 Gallon pot) is under my jujube tree grow a 3 feet new branch this year in 6 months. But since its next to my syzygium, it also got watered twice daily. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:06:32 PM by Istanabungur »

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 03:28:12 PM »
In So Cal, Maprang is an extremely slow growing plant even in a greenhouse. Ethan (former fastest grafter of the West!) could attest to this as he had them in his greenhouse before.
Thera

Istanabungur

• Riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 04:07:47 PM »
In So Cal, Maprang is an extremely slow growing plant even in a greenhouse. Ethan (former fastest grafter of the West!) could attest to this as he had them in his greenhouse before.
[/quote]
Let me experiment with different fertilizer and see if I can make it branch before fall arrives. I think I can afford to lost 2-3 plants but not all of them.I been wanting at least 1 of this tree in my backyard for years but I am too chicken to smuggle the seeds when I travel- so I just grind the fruits with some peppers and freeze them to bring back to U.S and add more hot pepper paste when I am ready to use them.