Author Topic: Spacing for a garcina hedge  (Read 482 times)

0hip

• Australia, Townsville, QLD, 11b
    • View Profile
Spacing for a garcina hedge
« on: April 10, 2023, 09:31:58 PM »
I’m putting in a row of mixed garcinias along my front yard and I wanted peoples opinions as to what would be the best spacing.

Currently it’s at about 1.8m spacing of lemon drop, lucs garcinia and garcinia macrophylla. Because they are such a slow growing tree and also because they like a bit of shade would it be a good idea to infill plant between the current plants bringing the spacing down to 0.9m?

Also if so which garcinias would you recommend? (Already have mangosteen and achacha in other locations and a garcinia madruno but may just be a mislabelled lemon drop. I don’t want imbe because of the shape of the tree and also the male/female problem and a russels sweet also has a much more spreading growth pattern and the same male/female issues. Not a yellow mangosteen because of the awful taste too even though it’s a spectacular tree. Maybe just get another of each of the others?

The second macrophylla will be between the last plant and the letter box I just have to pick it up from the nursery.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
Re: Spacing for a garcina hedge
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 12:36:12 PM »
FWIW, there is decent "yellow mangosteen" out there.

Theres a 100+ foot tree at the Hilo arboretum here that has good fruits.

The flesh on the inside is sweet/sour, closer to the rind is edible but somewhat acrid.

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 02:27:11 PM »
It might be an idea to plant closer like 1.5 and then remove every other tree when they grow in. 8 years on, it will have all closed in at 3m centres, and there would be more fruiting wood vs. more trees packed close.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 03:01:17 PM »
If you were to plant trees with the idea of eventually removing them then it could be better to put nitrogen fixers like Brownea or glircidium.
Peter

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 03:19:15 PM »
I would stagger them in a zigzag manner

.   .   .   .   .
 .   .   .   .   .   .

0hip

• Australia, Townsville, QLD, 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 12:53:14 AM »
Zigzag patterns a good idea might think about that although they might get too close to the trees behind.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk