Author Topic: Sumo seedling  (Read 2293 times)

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: Sumo seedling
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2023, 08:55:41 PM »
A few people on Australian Forums have found Sumo seed.
Same story. you have to go thru a lot of fruit to find the occasional seed. Seedlings seem to be a mix of Nucellar and variant.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2023, 11:38:31 PM »
There are few varieties of sumo/shiranui that is sold by UCR CCPP budwood program. One of them seems to have seeds in many of the fruits. I have that accession on my larger Ponkan tree and when the sumo fruits, it seems to always have at least a few seeds in each fruit.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 11:45:52 PM by sc4001992 »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2023, 12:36:16 AM »
Any chance the Sumo are being pollinated by the Ponkan ?
Store bought fruit are more likely to be from orchards, hence variety isolated except for edge rows.
Seed less likely to be X pollinated.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2023, 01:54:30 AM »
Yes, all my citrus varieties are probably getting cross pollinated since I have over 50 varieties on my trees multi-grafted. Probably why my FD seeds have a lot more mono than poly seedlings.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2023, 05:15:20 PM »
Low in space, so I grafted the seedling to its mother.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 01:50:45 AM »
Sumo seedling (from store-bought) flowering for the first time, after 5 years

I had given up on the original dream, due to space constraints as well, especially since I already had the CCPP wood on other trees.  So, I was going to graft the known wood onto this and add it to my new Sumo hedge.  I pruned it down to a stub so that I could graft low onto a new water shoot. I neglected to prune back the new growth to try to force the original graft, or even fertilize it properly. You can see all the thorny juvenile growth, but it has multiple flowers.  Wonder if it'll hold any?

As far as what might have triggered the flowering... Cold winter, neglect (water or nutrient stress) from last year, grafting of mature wood onto it?