Author Topic: Help me pick a mandarin / satsuma  (Read 1342 times)

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Help me pick a mandarin / satsuma
« on: May 06, 2023, 03:58:01 AM »
zone 8
things I want:
sweet and deep, balanced flavored (some tartness), deep orange flesh, zipper peel

ripens OCT-early DEC and hardy (as satsumas go)

Lee x Nova (top contender but might ripen too late?)
Okitsu wase (original choice)
dobashi beni
Shiranui
owari
xie shan
ponkan

Feel free to make a recommendation or give experiences too

some seeds are fine, flavor and ripening are the concerns here

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Help me pick a mandarin / satsuma
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 11:54:54 AM »
If you're willing to protect I bet you could do any of them. Incandescent c9 Christmas lights and create a greenhouse (this year I'm trying plastic panels on the windy side and frost cloth panels on the others).. Someone in here just told about an anecdote where a person puts a bucket of water with an aquarium heater in it inside the makeshift greenhouse and that worked. I haven't tried that, but it makes sense to me

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 12:23:16 PM »
Ponkan is excellent, but contains seeds. Xie Shan was declared the best tasting citrus at the two Citrus Expo contests I attended. Owari and Shiranui have been favorites of many people for a long time.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 05:05:50 PM by Millet »

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 02:53:19 PM »
If you're willing to protect I bet you could do any of them. Incandescent c9 Christmas lights and create a greenhouse (this year I'm trying plastic panels on the windy side and frost cloth panels on the others)
True but I'd have to make a green house first, im on a working class college student budget :P

.. Someone in here just told about an anecdote where a person puts a bucket of water with an aquarium heater in it inside the makeshift greenhouse and that worked. I haven't tried that, but it makes sense to me
I've seen people talk about all sorts of things using water to keep plantts that really escape me lol

like using sprinklers against a frost. Is it the humidity? IDK

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 09:10:57 PM »
You don't need to make a greenhouse. It can be way more temporary than that. Go to the dollar store and get brooms for the Fram. Shower curtains for the plastic. 😉

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 09:17:53 PM »
The idea of using irrigation to help prevent frost is that the water that is sprayed in the fields freezes and releases heat to the air as the liquid water changes to ice. The goal is to keep the air temperature in the area at 32 F by adding heat in this process.

https://www.senninger.com/news/2017/10/2/how-protect-crops-frost-damage-using-sprinklers

This is workable if you have irrigation water supply tougher if you have limited supply.
If you get a run of frosts over a few days, you will need to run the overheads each night, so you may be over watering in winter when actual irrigation not required.
A temperature alarm may be required to tell you when to start the frost sprays, not just by your own judgement, you may miss an event, or run it when not quite required.
For any system using water to prevent frost damage, the mains and hoses must not freeze up, including simple systems like your garden taps and hose.
Many people drain and hang the garden hose to prevent ice formation inside the hose. Taps may need covering.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 09:22:47 PM »
You don't need to make a greenhouse. It can be way more temporary than that. Go to the dollar store and get brooms for the Fram. Shower curtains for the plastic. 😉

Many bed stores here in Australia sell large plastic mattress cover bags for $2, the kind the mattress is delivered / shipped in.
King and Queen are pretty big and can be cut to twice the size if one edge left.
Not UV stable but will get thru quite a few months.
I also use this as grafting tents, to keep areas dry from spring rain.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 03:23:19 AM »
Is 'frost owari' and "owari 874' the same as "owari" and if not are they as good as other owari satsumas

if they're the same perhaps Ill go with owari as madison sells a tree with "owari 874" and ponkan

edit: found an article as well as the ccpp listting that say frost owari is just owari ha https://www.al.com/living-press-register/2009/10/satsuma_cultivars_the_best_and.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 03:28:59 AM by Pandan »

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 07:09:14 PM »
Owari, Brown's Select and Kishu are my favorites.

Kevin

Ckitto

• USA, CA, Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 10:41:00 PM »
Owari as it is easier to find and taste great.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 07:39:11 AM »
If you need the advice of an expert, try this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F12whwpA7k

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 02:06:08 PM »
If you need the advice of an expert, try this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F12whwpA7k
🤣 Ill send him some samples for sure

Another mandarin I've become interested in is the Page mandarin which is a hybrid between a mineolla and clementine. Deep color and holds well too. So many choices lol I need a better job asap!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 04:31:05 PM »
I have a Page mandarin planted in the ground.  It is said that Page mandarins produce the finest orange juice in the world.  Page trees are very productive, with fruit almost the size of a clementine mandarin, seedless and VERY juicy.  It is a good choice..

Desertcitrus

• Hurricane, UT 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2023, 03:33:38 AM »
I like this guys ideas for protection. https://youtu.be/O5pc_GYjyKI

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 04:13:37 AM »
I have a Page mandarin planted in the ground.  It is said that Page mandarins produce the finest orange juice in the world.  Page trees are very productive, with fruit almost the size of a clementine mandarin, seedless and VERY juicy.  It is a good choice..

Page is delicious! Juice is really good too!
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Yurii

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 08:40:14 AM »
Is it necessary to cross pollinate the Page mandarin to produce fruit? without pollination there will be no fruit?

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2023, 09:01:48 AM »
Is it necessary to cross pollinate the Page mandarin to produce fruit?
IFAS write:
Page should receive optimum care and be interplanted with pollenizer varieties such as Lee, Orlando or Temple to minimize fruit size problems.