Author Topic: Fertilizers, fertilizers. 25 pound bags or nothing?  (Read 436 times)

LazarusLong714

• Outside of Cleveland, Ohio. Zone 6a.
    • View Profile
Fertilizers, fertilizers. 25 pound bags or nothing?
« on: October 09, 2023, 06:43:38 PM »
   I think I have been having "lack of fertilizer" issues.   Reading back through the forum, I have found that Citrus are "heavy Feeders" and really need to be fertilized.

I also read that some University (I cannot recall at this time, but due to the amount of research and new varieties developed there, I think it was in southern california) figured out the perfect ration for uptake in citrus plants is 5-1-3.    Of course I read about JACK'S PROFESSIONAL, but, being a new-to-citrus HOBBYIST, I can't justify buying a 25 pound bag of fertilizer.   With the amount of citrus trees I have now, and allowing for a 1000% increase, a 25 pound bag would still last me about 247 years in Northern Ohio.   Naturally, I reached out to the JACK'S customer service team, asking them if it were available in any smaller, sub-5 pound bag for us hobbyists that will never use 25 pounds.   

Don't misunderstand: I did read back to where Millet advised that it is only available in 25 pound bags, but I thought they might need to HEAR other people asking for it in smaller sizes.   The answer was not only "no" but "no, and here is a product that should perfectly suit your needs!".    I will add it below, and "quote" it.
      Anyway, any other suggestions for me regarding fertilizers for my little kumquats and lemon seedlings?   I saw a mention of FOLIAGE PRO.    Any nay-sayers on that one?   I like that you can limit the amount and use it daily or go a little heavier and use it less frequently.      Looking for suggestions.   Thanks in advance.

Lazarus.

"Thanks for reaching out and choosing Jack's! Our 25-5-15 does not come in any sizes below 25lbs. However, we do have a product on our Jack's Classic line that would be perfect for you.

For tropical fruiting plants like citrus, we recommend our 20-10-20 Citrus FeED. Citrus FeED is designed to provide the optimum combination of nutrients needed by plants in the citrus group. Citrus FeED can be used throughout the whole lifecycle of the tree, as the boosted micronutrient package will produce vibrant green leaves, strong branches and more fruit. Our advanced formulation uses the highest quality nutrients available, delivering professional results to your home garden. When used as directed, Jack’s Citrus FeED will allow your plants to uptake the nutrients through both its roots and leaves.

INDOOR FEEDING: 1/4 teaspoon of fertilizer per gallon of water with every watering or 1/2 teaspoon of fertilizer per gallon of water every other week. In high light conditions, you can double the above rates, which will create vigorous growth.

OUTDOOR FEEDING: Annuals, perennials, vegetables, and roses can be fed at a rate of 1 tablespoon of fertilizer per gallon of water; applied every 7-10 days. They key is to saturate the root zone with each fertilizer application, as most nutrients are absorbed through the roots for the plant to use.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Happy growing!"

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Fertilizers, fertilizers. 25 pound bags or nothing?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 12:18:02 PM »
I use Jack's 25-5-15 with trace minerals.  It is a great fertilizer for citrus, but that does not mean that other formulations are bad. Foliage Pro would also be a good formulation.  20-10-20 with trace minerals could also be a good citrus fertilizer for citrus. Look for fertilizers with higher levels of nitrogen and potassium and a lower level pf prosperous with trace minerals.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 06:34:19 PM by Millet »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 05:12:24 PM »
I still have half of my first 25lb bag of Jacks HPF left :)

It doesn't go bad, just a matter of initial cost and storage. 

LazarusLong714

• Outside of Cleveland, Ohio. Zone 6a.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 06:28:59 AM »
Thanks, Millet and Brian.

My wife is all over me about "stuff".   To add another 5 gallon bucket to our garage, to store a fertilizer that I would use at a rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, for an average rate of use of 1 teaspoon per week, or LESS.......   she would be less than pleased.   I will absolutely admit that I earn this.   I have a LOT of interests....   I ride motorcycles (emphasis on the "S"...  multiple bikes), I shoot archery, air rifles and powder burners, heck, even blow guns.     I (poorly) play guitars (again, emphasis on the PLURAL part).   I used to do black-smithing, woodworking, scuba diving.   I am sure I am forgetting some of my hobbies in this quick list.     I have a lot of stuff because I have a lot of interests.     I thinks a small bottle of the Foliage Pro will go by a lot better/easier than a 5 gallon bucket of fertilizer that would APPEAR to never be used!

Thanks for the info, I feel comfortable making that decision based on the what you have told me.    If I ever end up in a better climate, of with a lot more citrus in containers, I will go with the Jack's Professional 25-5-15, but am going to start our with the Foliage Pro.