Author Topic: mango varieties that are hardest to determine when to pick  (Read 1757 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
What varieties would you say are the trickiest in determining when to pick and how long to let set and storage to ripen. And of the varieties that you personally have which ones do you sometimes maybe don't get quite right :)
So far we've at Lucian Groves only harvested a couple of pickering's that were very good and seemed to be easy peasy to determine when they are ready
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:37:27 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Malika
Carrie
Ice cream

Not sure if they are the most difficult, but not easy to get right.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
Mallika as well, picked about a dozen already at green to slight yellow stages to test ripe and so far itís been quite disappointing. They had a musky scent and taste like a bad cantaloupe. Iíll let them get more yellow and even full colored before I decide the trees fate.
Donít rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Mallika.... I have Neelam tree. My theory is that many Indian mangoes were bred to be picked hard green. Though picked at the right time. This allowed 2-3-4 days for the mangoes to be transported by horse cart from rural areas to the cities. There they would be sold right away or after a few more days to get ripe.

So at home look to pick various Indian mangoes green and hard. To ripen at room temperatures in your house. Your non-airconditioned garage is best location. Or perhaps outside, under shade, in a critter proof box with crumpled up newspapers to separate them and to absorb run off moisture from mangos

When people toss these get them. Critter proof and insulated.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:20:38 AM by zands »

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
More than three but in my opinion-

Coco cream: uneven ripening and once over ripe loses any unique quality.
Seacrest: seems like must be eaten very firm before it tastes musky/rotty.
Carrie and maha chanok: if not eaten barely ripe they both lose complexity and become carroty/vegetably.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
The reason I ask is this season and last season I obtained a couple of peach cobblers from South Florida. We put them in a box and check them every day until they softened up a bit. It wasn't as good as advertised I've heard some folks claim that it can have a tangerine Citrus flavor. I was just curious to see if anyone would mention this variety
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
The reason I ask is this season and last season I obtained a couple of peach cobblers from South Florida. We put them in a box and check them every day until they softened up a bit. It wasn't as good as advertised I've heard some folks claim that it can have a tangerine Citrus flavor. I was just curious to see if anyone would mention this variety

Peach cobbler, are one of the few varieties that rarely disappoints.I picked one last week and just ate it,  and it was excellent. I really appreciate mangos with a wide window of great taste, even if flvor may vary during that time.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile

Peach cobbler, are one of the few varieties that rarely disappoints.I picked one last week and just ate it,  and it was excellent. I really appreciate mangos with a wide window of great taste, even if flvor may vary during that time.

How do you judge when to pick do you eat them immediately after picking or do you let them set on the counter for a few days.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile

How do you judge when to pick do you eat them immediately after picking or do you let them set on the counter for a few days.

Some are early this year, but I pick them when they show a dull yellow and/or have black dots on the top, probably from leaking sap. You can eat them then but I like to eat them when they get a little soft. Iíve eaten them over a week past picked and they still taste good but itís less acidic.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Malika
Carrie
Ice cream

Not sure if they are the most difficult, but not easy to get right.

Sleepdoc,

You mention 'Ice Cream' as being difficult but do you or anyone here have suggestions for how to determine when they are ripe?

I read that the fruit is mostly still green when ripe but is there some sign or tiny color change that alerts one to this cultivar as being ripe?

Paul M.
==

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
There is a slight color change sometimes as an indicator.  Thatís probably less than 50% of the time in my experience, and it is usually slight.  Maybe 10% get an obvious color break.  This is of course on my tree at my location.  Over 10 years producing.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
To those newer to the mango world, the caveat  with respect to color change an many varieties is location grown.  Those grown close to the coast can tend to show more color as the fruit nears/reaches maturity and peak ripeness.  Those grown inland can have less or even little to no color change (until a point its too late or past edibility).
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
To those newer to the mango world, the caveat  with respect to color change an many varieties is location grown.  Those grown close to the coast can tend to show more color as the fruit nears/reaches maturity and peak ripeness.  Those grown inland can have less or even little to no color change (until a point its too late or past edibility).
Take a look at this Dot. It's hard and not soft yet but there is color change at the top ever so slight.

Trying to post a couple more photos of that same fruit but having troubles
It went from green to a lighter shade of green
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:37:07 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
My Mallika is throwing off a different color change variation then last season. Last season it had a yellow stripe with a yellow circle around the stem. That was the optimal time to pick and put in a Finney box / finishing box for 5 to 7/10 days. This season is going from green to light green to an overall faint yellow. We are picking those now 2 test. To see if the others that are still quite green should be allowed to get to a more yellow color before picking. I'm slowly grafting Cecilove on to it to hedge my bets in case that determining ripeness in the interior is to inconsistent.Dot may prove challenging also. I only let her carry one fruit this year just to see if it would get anthracnose on the fruit later in the season. It went from green to light green and the stem turned brown. The wind blew it off before I was able to pick it. It has been in the finny box for 7 days and is still quite hard.

This is Dot the day before it dropped
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 03:49:48 PM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
My Mallika is throwing off a different color change variation then last season. Last season it had a yellow stripe with a yellow circle around the stem. That was the optimal time to pick and put in a Finney box / finishing box for 5 to 7/10 days. This season is going from green to light green to an overall faint yellow. We are picking those now 2 test. To see if the others that are still quite green should be allowed to get to a more yellow color before picking. I'm slowly grafting Cecilove on to it to hedge my bets in case that determining ripeness in the interior is to inconsistent.Dot may prove challenging also. I only let her carry one fruit this year just to see if it would get anthracnose on the fruit later in the season. It went from green to light green and the stem turned brown. The wind blew it off before I was able to pick it. It has been in the finny box for 7 days and is still quite hard.

That Dot doesn't look ready.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile

That Dot doesn't look ready.
Looking at the glass being half-full. I was able to obtain a nice Dot from Tropical Acres Farms. It jog my memory as why I like Dot so much. It did not get anthracnose on that one fruit has i feared. And because I did not let it carry fruit other than that one. I have Maximum growth. The same is true for my PPK and E4. Next season they will be mature enough to carry fruit :)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
 This Malika mango is showing color change
What should I do now coach :)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 07:54:01 AM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• View Profile

Pick it asap.  It may be "too ripe" for peak flavor.  I would nornally recommend picking at first signs of that color change if not picking mature green.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile

Pick it asap.  It may be "too ripe" for peak flavor.  I would nornally recommend picking at first signs of that color change if not picking mature green.
It changed color overnight. We were just looking at them yesterday.
Will do! Pick put in a paper bag. Put it in a box. :D

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 08:58:01 AM by bovine421 »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting

Mallika along with most mangoes taste the best when picked green and ripened in newspaper in a dark place. indian mangoes ripened on tree will lose flavor and texture. Pick green when shoulders are full. no other secret