Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Water accumulation in your neighboorhood

(1/22) > >>

Julie:
Is anyone seeing a lot of (or more than in the past) water accumulation in your neighborhood?  My street never had this issue before, I specifically bought a house that wasn't in a flood zone, but this rainy season is different.  Huge puddles are flooding the streets.  It seems like climate change is here.  Also the cold weather today is strange for this time of year.

Calusa:

--- Quote from: Julie on May 26, 2023, 03:41:37 PM ---Is anyone seeing a lot of (or more than in the past) water accumulation in your neighborhood?  My street never had this issue before, I specifically bought a house that wasn't in a flood zone, but this rainy season is different.  Huge puddles are flooding the streets.  It seems like climate change is here.  Also the cold weather today is strange for this time of year.

--- End quote ---

Julie, if having puddles in Miami means climate change is there, then climate change isn't 350 miles away in St pete, where there are piles of dry sand that's been blown freely by the wind because we have almost no rain at all. What used to be our lawns is now a crunchy mass of dead matter that sounds like you're walking across corn flakes.  ;D

Timbogrow:
It's probably the storm drains clogged with all the trash people from Miami throw out the window. Not to say everyone does this but many years ago the tide line there had more trash than plant debris. That was back about 17yrs ago when I lived there. I used to work at the state park behind haulover inlet. Every day seeing the mess was disturbing. People still throwing McDonald's bags,wrappers, cigarettes, drug paraphernalia that you didn't want to get stepped on out the window and straight to the intercoastal. Now those people come all the way from Miami to leave the trash on our Beaches over here. I just keep wondering who raised these people without a trash can and said it's ok to dump trash on the side of the roads instead of driving to the landfill like everyone else that doesn't like swimming in trash. Sorry didn't mean to get negative on anyone but that really was a relief not looking at the mess. Fema flood map changed since last years big storm also. I wasnt in a flood zone and now I am.

roblack:
Sounds like drain might be clogged/damaged. Same thing here, and has been going on for years. They replaced the pipes down the road, fixed their problem, very little standing water after rain. Water accumulates in front of our house, but not down the street, because the drain needs repair/replacment.

Orkine:
Your observations are both true.

Check out the US Drought Monitor
https://www.drought.gov/states/florida
or
https://www.weather.gov/tbw/droughtinfo

The slide below was from the NWS rainy season outlook presentation for south Florida.  Note that as dry as St Pete area was, Miami and Fort Lauderdale had record wet outcome for this past dry season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version