Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Finding Land in South FL

<< < (3/8) > >>

Gulfgardener:
I think your best bet would be finding a lot next to someone you already know. Maybe they want to expand too? They could help keep an eye on things and they would already know the neighborhood. Buy land with at least water and electric hooked up so if your family wants to buy an RV they can drop it and stay on the lot when you visit. You could probably find a cheap place to store it outside of town so they wouldn't have to tow it all the way back and forth. I don't think I'd just leave it on the lot because it's asking for a break in. Pay for storage and it's their problem to keep it safe.  Finally, I'd get a property manager. This may be over the top since you are not really renting out a house or anything but they do check on properties of all types. They could check on any irrigation you have set up. It's not that different than having them check on sprinklers for lawns but who knows, they might give you a hard time if its too complicated. I would not grow expensive grafted varieties. Just seedlings until you can be down full time. With seedlings at least it doesn't matter as much and they are hardier anyway. Plus you can graft on to them later.  My opinion for whatever its worth (not much) is to be very strategic about buying. Find the right area, then find the right people to help.  The hardest part will be keeping people away. There isn't much respect for other peoples land. They know mango, banana, avocado and probably jackfruit trees. If they know how much an older Jabo is worth, its a goner. Maybe if you just planted the weird stuff? LOL.  I think coconuts would be okay

Julie:
Wouldn't the better plan be to actually relocate to florida? Maybe it's unattainable now, but if you start saving now in a separate account, you can get a second job and maybe in 5 years you'll have enough money.  If you own real estate now in TN, you can sell your current property to get a property here and find work in the area.

Jordan321:
For me, I like the idea of putting an RV on it, getting a management company and throwing it on Airbnb. Then it isn't sitting vacant most of time, deterring squatters and (some) theft. Yes there's strangers on it, but a different clientele, so should be a worthy trade off. Plus the added income opens up your price ceiling a bit.
It's such a hard time to buy here right now.
Note to other natives: yes, I realize that encouraging someone to move here from out of state is against The Code, but I would like to argue leniency in the case of growers. I would trade my newest neighbor for Jabo in a heartbeat. ... Maybe we should institute a draft!

pineislander:

--- Quote from: Jaboticaba45 on May 29, 2023, 09:12:50 PM ---Ok, so thank you for the advice everyone.
I talked with my parents and we came to the conclusion that my 1/4 acre in the middle of Florida isn't a good idea lol. First off, I'm worried about frosts (couldn't do coconuts). and second, there is nothing to do within a 1.5 hour drive. lodging would be a pain too.
They'd rather buy a land themselves in a better location with things to do.
I'm eyeing Pine Island now. It's a beautiful place with a great microclimate too. Can grow basically whatever I want.
Now, the main problems are going to be my absence from the land if it ended up happening.
I was thinking of doing a salak hedge or something to keep intruders out.
And I thought I could just plant the trees and leave...but looks like they need to be watered regularly for the first few years.
I was hoping to just spam down a bunch of bananas and coconuts. Top tier fruits and coconuts are always producing. Coconuts seem like it's just plant and forget.
I guess the others may be tougher like mango. Also would have to plant away from the street too.
But still, if I'm only at the land 6 or so times max a year, something could always happen.
That's more than I thought I had to think about :P

--- End quote ---

Im on Pine Island so anything you are looking at just get in touch. Regarding absentee I do know a fellow who planted 1/4 acre mango plot and set up a wireless camera system so he could watch his trees. They are only just planted not bearing yet but he got pleasure sitting in Atlanta admiring his trees on the screen. He eventually sold the lot. It was 13820 Stringfellow Road, you can see it on Google Maps.

pineislander:

--- Quote from: Jordan321 on May 30, 2023, 09:31:36 AM ---For me, I like the idea of putting an RV on it, getting a management company and throwing it on Airbnb. Then it isn't sitting vacant most of time, deterring squatters and (some) theft. Yes there's strangers on it, but a different clientele, so should be a worthy trade off. Plus the added income opens up your price ceiling a bit.
It's such a hard time to buy here right now.
Note to other natives: yes, I realize that encouraging someone to move here from out of state is against The Code, but I would like to argue leniency in the case of growers. I would trade my newest neighbor for Jabo in a heartbeat. ... Maybe we should institute a draft!

--- End quote ---
There may be some areas you could put an RV but other areas that isn't allowed. Don't count on it but they did get lenient in my area but only temporary because of hurricane recovery. The regulations in Florida are ridiculous not at all like Tennessee or other rural states.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version