Author Topic: Help with tmperate climate grafting avocados  (Read 408 times)

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
Help with tmperate climate grafting avocados
« on: May 23, 2023, 03:09:26 AM »
Do people have any tips for grafting avocadoes in temperate climates? I'm in bay area where itchas mold climate with not too many extremes but quite high moisture. I would like help or tips in things like regarding to timing or technique. Also are there any issues with graft incompatibility?

I recently tried to grafted mexicola and hass onto a rootstock and started from seed last year and it started leafing out this year so I thought I had succeeded, but after examining the graft union it looks like it didn't actually connect. I used a whip and tongue graft on side branches and wrapped the union and whole graft in parafilm and tied it with an elastic. I removed the elastic after a several month so last autumn. I have another rootstock grown from seed as well with the same issue where the grafts don't take. I've tried both whip and tongue as well as topping it with bark grafts on this rootstock. So essentially I can't seem to get any avocado grafts to work on these rootstocks I've had for the last ~6 years. I try a small set of scions every year thinking it'll be different but it seems I'm just wasting my purchases. Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 12:48:30 PM by tropic_tester »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Help with tmperate climate grafting avocados
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 12:13:46 PM »
Graft should be done in January.  Also remove all the growth from the rootstock.  Every single bud and suckered take them off and force on the scions to grow.
Brad Spaugh