Author Topic: Triple Superphosphate question.  (Read 830 times)

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
Triple Superphosphate question.
« on: January 31, 2022, 06:20:22 PM »
Is good to use Triple Superphosphate on citrus. I have a neighbor who said he has used it for years.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Triple Superphosphate question.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 08:46:17 PM »
The requirements for phosphorus by citrus are relatively low.  Fertilizer requirements for citrus are, higher levels of nitrogen and potassium and lower requirement of phosphorus.   I have never heard of anyone apply triple superphosphate to citrus.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 08:51:45 PM by Millet »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 09:02:48 PM »
You should get a soil test done. I had trouble getting my apples to bloom for years, after a soil test learned that the mountains of NC tend to be deficient in phosphorus. I now plant everything with some triple phosphate and everything blooms well now. Too much phosphorus in fertilizer is supposed to be bad for fish in rivers so only use phosphorus if you need it in your specific location.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 09:51:43 PM »
According to a man I know who had a bare root citrus nursery "back in the day," Tripple Super Phosphate was what made the difference between growing a tree with a sub-par root system and one that had roots so thick it looked like moss. It is good stuff.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 03:44:43 PM »
No reason not to use triple superphosphate. Some recommendations for Citrus say NPK with P at around 2%. So you could calculate and apply at that rate.

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 04:51:55 PM »
Appreciate the replies. I am getting a soil test done. Dropped the sample off at the UGA extension office today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk