Author Topic: looking for interesting varieties  (Read 2822 times)

Daniil

• Russia
    • View Profile
looking for interesting varieties
« on: May 07, 2022, 05:42:33 PM »
hello everyone, I'm a beginner citrus grower, my name is Daniel, I'm 16 years old, I live in Russia, I want to collect a collection of interesting varieties, can anyone share the branches for vaccinations?🥰

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: looking for interesting varieties
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 08:49:08 PM »
What do you use for grafting rootstocks ? Are they readily available ?
(Perhaps you mistranslated Propagation to Vaccination) ??
My auto correct always changes nucellar to nuclear...It just did it now too...

hornad

• USA, Washington, Bremerton, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 09:53:33 PM »
What do you use for grafting rootstocks ? Are they readily available ?
(Perhaps you mistranslated Propagation to Vaccination) ??
My auto correct always changes nucellar to nuclear...It just did it now too...
When I use google translate on citrusforum.org.ua "прививок" (grafting) is always translated as vaccination. So I assume that Daniil is also using google translate.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 08:41:26 AM by hornad »

Daniil

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 11:46:30 PM »
hello everyone, I'm a beginner citrus grower, my name is Daniel, I'm 16 years old, I live in Russia, I want to collect a collection of interesting varieties, can anyone share the branches for vaccinations?🥰
as a rootstock, I use pomelo or lemon seedlings, they are the most affordable for us

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 02:38:57 AM »
"When I use google translate on citrusforum.org.ua "прививок" (grafting) is always translated as vaccination. So I assume that pagnr is also using google translate."

Yes it does seem to translate as Vaccination, as you say.
I am sure everybody got what was meant when Danil said, "can anyone share the branches for vaccinations?"
I wasn't trying to be pedantic about it, just thought It's not the usual use of the word in English, for the procedures with Citrus.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 03:10:03 AM »
Using Google translate for German-English translations results in quite novel terminology. "Base" for rootstock, "refinement" for grafting. Horticultural terms may not be in the programmers' familiar vocabulary.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 05:27:19 AM by kumin »

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 04:09:59 AM »
Using Google translate for German-English translations results in quite novel terminology. "Base" for rootstock, "refinement" for grafting. Horticulture terms may not be the programmers' familiar vocabulary.

Google translator is very bad for sure. The best translator I know of is this one: https://www.deepl.com/translator

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 01:55:21 AM »
I have seen French speakers ask for rustic citrus, since rustique is the word they use for coldhardy.
And in German, the word for grafting is the same as for refining (veredeln). Nothing to be pedantic about, of course, but I find it amusing sometimes :).

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 04:06:05 AM »
Hello Daniil,
It will be extremely difficult for you to get this stuff from abroad especially under this terrible  and barbaric war circumstances.

Best regards,
                       Ilya

Daniil

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 11:08:49 AM »
Hello Daniil,
It will be extremely difficult for you to get this stuff from abroad especially under this terrible  and barbaric war circumstances.

Yes it will be hard to get now, but I was getting before this whole situation I was already getting from South Korea microcitrus

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 11:51:45 AM »
I stand with Ukraine

Melenduwir

• US, Pennsylvania, State College, 5b/6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 02:05:56 PM »
Importing interesting varieties will be difficult for quite some time to come.  However, you might be able to make some of your own.

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2020/04/fruit-trenches-cultivating-subtropical-plants-in-freezing-temperatures.html

There are multiple interesting things about that article, especially in terms of Russian/Soviet history.  One of the most important in my view is the bit about selecting for especially cold-hardy varieties of mandarins.  It's something that's hard to do with nucellar strains, but merely requires patience and practice with zygotic strains.

Imagine developing a variety of citrus that can grow vigorously on its own roots in your local soil and tolerate your local climate with relative ease.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 06:23:37 PM »
Alternatively, there is a range of Citrus types that are reasonably fast to fruit when grown from seed.
Also being nucellar/polyembryonic they are highly true to type.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 09:49:13 PM »
I too stand with Ukraine. Glory to Ukraine!

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 01:34:46 AM »
Hello Daniel, i think it is a good thing to collect citrus. But as tge others said at the moment it will be difficult to share varieties. I also strictly deny this barbaric war where a lot of ukrainian people and also russian soldiers have to die for nothing and the ukrainian cities get destroyed for nothing.
But for your problem perhaps you could try to get citrus varieties from Crimea ? Best regards Frank

Daniil

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2022, 04:59:39 AM »
Hello Daniel, i think it is a good thing to collect citrus. But as tge others said at the moment it will be difficult to share varieties. I also strictly deny this barbaric war where a lot of ukrainian people and also russian soldiers have to die for nothing and the ukrainian cities get destroyed for nothing.
But for your problem perhaps you could try to get citrus varieties from Crimea ? Best regards Frank

I already got those varieties that we have in Russia, now I am hunting for key lime and some other varieties from CCPP, I tried to register on their website, but it did not work, and I like these varieties very much, there are few other varieties from there, for example Valentino, boukhobza, cocktail, Powell summer navel, these varieties have already been in Russia

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 07:27:46 AM »
I don't think soapboxing a 16 year old on a citrus forum is going to stop a war.
Most of us are also American and its not like our nation hasn't gotten involved in longterm pointless conflicts.

Anyways: I can not forsee any new citrus going to Russia anytime to soon, many especially established vendors will be turned off by the war and due to HLB quarantines its already hard for many nations to mail citrus around. Your best bet might be trying Asian vendors at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 07:39:20 AM by Pandan »

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 02:45:28 PM »
Danil, what is your climate zone?

It sounds like you are going to grow plants indoors as key lime is very cold sensitive.

A Russian site
http://forum.homecitrus.ru/topic/18215-tcitrusovye-v-otkrytom-grunte-v-polusubtropika/

Daniil

• Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 03:03:32 PM »
Danil, what is your climate zone?

It sounds like you are going to grow plants indoors as key lime is very cold sensitive.

A Russian site
http://forum.homecitrus.ru/topic/18215-tcitrusovye-v-otkrytom-grunte-v-polusubtropika/

I'm from the southern urals, yes I grow in pots in the house, but we have someone who builds green houses, here recently did a pomelo Valentino grafting

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 05:38:56 PM »
"I don't think soapboxing a 16 year old on a citrus forum is going to stop a war."

I couldn't agree more, and was puzzling on how to make the same point, apart from reporting to moderator.
This Forum has brought together a diverse group of people, despite some obvious national, political, religious and cultural differences.
That is something worth maintaining, with the way the world seems to be heading right now.

Melenduwir

• US, Pennsylvania, State College, 5b/6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 04:04:41 PM »
I don't understand why the war was even brought up, aside from noting that it will probably make importing much more difficult.

I can see why a professional orchardist would desire very uniform plants that are exactly true-to-type, but a home grower can afford to have something a little more unique.  And you can actually perform breeding experiments with zygotic strains, something moderately-to-extremely difficult with nucellar ones.

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2022, 12:14:56 AM »
as a rootstock, I use pomelo or lemon seedlings, they are the most affordable for us

Daniil, you just mention 2 types of rootstock, lemon and pomelo.
This is also what I have seen offered in various Russian nurseries online.
Why don't you use more resistant rootstock like poncirus trifoliata or citrange?
If you want poncirus seeds, I can send you some.
You will see if you can get something or not.
As for the rest, political decisions are outside our common passion and should instead be a tool for peace and solidarity and not a call for exclusion.

The following message is a copy of a message sent to two acquaintances: one Russian and the other Ukrainian.
I have not heard from either side.
But I think that sharing it with you might not be a bad thing.

" Hi, I hope you are all well, despite the political and energy problems some of you will be experiencing this winter.

It's hard and very difficult for fellow Ukrainians or Russians to respond to this message without some sadness or hatred.

Passions often bring people together, where the games of politicians can generate rivalries, hatreds, and other unfriendly feelings.

Be careful to always take the other for what they are, not what others make you believe they are. This is how many misunderstandings and conflicts arise. Just over stories, half-truths and so on.

I am French and yet I am in no way in favour of the policies of my president Mr Macron.
In France there are political problems with differences between various political parties. And let's not forget that in France, the people made the revolution and killed their king and queen. However, that time was also a time of war between the French, the French for the king and against the king.
What I mean is that in the same country, values and political ideas can be very different. And it is never pleasant that such different values end up killing each other.

But let's not forget that our own passion teaches us diversity, teaches us to deal with different requirements: soil type, rootstock compatibility, high cultivation (trees), low cultivation (herbs, vegetables etc). Each of our garden citizens (metaphor) has their own personality and requirements with which we must learn to discuss or understand and find the right compromises. When I say good compromise it's because we all know very well that sometimes we have to prune to thin out. Sometimes you have to remove some plants that are too invasive to let others live and have their place. So you have to know how to be both the good guy and the bad guy when you have to.

Our passion also teaches us that it is difficult to demand that a variety accept to be what we want it to be if it is not its real will.
Indeed, a pear tree will not necessarily remain dwarf, another tree will not necessarily accept another type of soil. And of course, to achieve all this, you have to use methods that are a bit at odds with nature. Imposing vigour by rootstock or other methods.
But this is artificial and very difficult for humans to achieve, except perhaps through the media and education.
But once again against nature.

In conclusion of this message that some may consider inappropriate.
I wanted to remind you that each passion can teach man values. But also the opening to the world, to the understanding of creatures (plants) very different from us. And yet we try to learn how to make them grow in our home. Sometimes we even build houses for them (greenhouses).

Our passion is probably a great source of learning.
We are like kings in a garden where plants are citizens. We are therefore forced to understand, sometimes to tolerate and sometimes to reject etc.

Our passion is also one of the rare ones to teach us how to make things evolve. Hybridization has made it possible to develop the cultivation of citrus fruits outside their areas of origin. However, the poncirus is not the most pleasant of citrus fruits.

In humans it is a bit the same. Trying to change one crop into another will not work very well. On the other hand, taking the time to merge the cultures, to keep the best of each while preserving the memory of the ancestors. I think it's a lesson from nature that we can change a lot. But we have to open up to each other, but we also have to accept the other as much as they have to accept us. A form of marriage will take place and we will have an evolution that transcends the origins.

This is my message to you all. I hope that everyone will be able to understand what I have tried to explain.
Because times are going to be difficult, and it seems to me that instead of killing ourselves. They should come back to a different way to free themselves from the barriers of hatred and destruction that the politicians from above manage to impose on us

If you find this post relevant, feel free to share it.
PS: Good luck to all, hoping that all these political problems will lead to a quick and humane solution in the interest of all."

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2022, 12:22:45 AM »
Here is a Russian site that may help you
http://forum.homecitrus.ru/

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2022, 12:40:37 AM »
Here is a Russian site that may help you
http://forum.homecitrus.ru/

You already mentioned it above.
But I have the impression from searching a bit in Russian what the nurseries offer.
That their choice is quite small and the varieties offered not so resistant to the cold.
But I may be wrong, after all even in France many nurseries offer varieties not so resistant as that. The nurseries and garden centres around me don't offer much of anything interesting either.

But I think I'll also take a look at this forum.
See what information there is, after all it doesn't hurt.

And as for the rest, I don't see what the problem is with looking for varieties outside these borders.
I think we all do it.
Even if I hear that the current politics don't really help.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2022, 05:30:12 AM »
Hello, Daniil! The website homecitrus is not very cozy and convenient for me. In my opinion, it is better to look for citrus fruits in the VK social network. I have some citrus varieties, such as dancy, kishu, kiraji, changsha, sugar belle, page, fortune, Valentino, and others that may not interest you. But they are still quite small, 1-2 years from transplantation. Cuttings are still a pity. There are still opportunities to order citrus fruits from Europe.