Author Topic: What is new with Tim Thompson?  (Read 5278 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
What is new with Tim Thompson?
« on: December 14, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »
With all the recent talk about mango tree delivery from Tim, I decided to stop procrastinating and see about picking up the mango tree I order over a year ago.

I ordered my mango tree at a CRFG meeting, where Tim was the guest speaker, and participants were allowed to order trees at a group discount and the understanding that the trees would not be available until sometime in 2015. Later on it was learned that during a bad wind storm, Tim lost a bunch of grafted seedlings which meant that people with orders made before mine would be filled first and my order would take longer.

Four days ago, I sent an email to SoCal Plant Breeders asking when could I pick up my mango tree order. I got a prompt reply saying I should give Tim a call and schedule a time to pick-up my tree. I called Tim and we arranged for a pick up today. I live only 15 miles away and was planning on making a COSTCO run today which is on the way.

When I got to Tim's house, I saw a bunch of mango trees in the front.

I was also surprised to see Cereus peruvianus cactus everywhere!!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:18:53 PM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
Re: What is new with Tim Thompson?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »
I was glad to see that the mango trees Tim had available looked healthy and that I was not getting a tree that looked like leftovers after all the others had been picked through.  ;D

The last time I saw Tim he was talking about prickly pear cactus and Dragon Fruit. I have a small collection of O. ficus indica and grow several varieties of Dragon Fruit.

I also have two C. peruvianus and it was exciting and interesting to see so many C. peruvianus and talk to Tim about his new project.

Tim told me that besides the white flesh C. peruvianus, he has red flesh and orange flesh varieties. Although I have seen pictures of red flesh and orange flesh pitaya fruit, I did not know that the Peruvian apple cactus (C. peruvianus) had red and orange flesh varieties. Tim says they do. Tim is selecting for the thornless varieties.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:49:35 PM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:30:10 PM »
I did ask Tim about mango tree availability. 

I mentioned that I am a CRFG member and when the topic of mango trees comes up, the availability of his trees is discussed.

Tim said that most of the trees seen above have been sold and are waiting for pick-up.

He did say he has a few Antonio trees for sale.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:35:36 PM by ricshaw »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »
I like how the mango trees come in those deep narrow pots..... Reason is better tap root development? Also a stick driven through the pot into the soil so it does not blow over

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 07:57:40 PM »
I have a purple fleshed Cereus sp., yes Cereus sp. deserves some breeding attention.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:15:01 PM »
I like how the mango trees come in those deep narrow pots..... Reason is better tap root development? Also a stick driven through the pot into the soil so it does not blow over

The black narrow pots are actually plastic sleeves which makes it easier for commercial orchard growers to plant. Local commercial avocado growers, like Brokaw, use the same plastic sleeves.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:05:38 PM »
Nice update post Rick, I'm glad you were able to get your tree or trees, has I mentioned before in another post on Tim's Mango's I was lucky enough to be gifted a Tequila Sunrise Mango and have it in G.H. until Spring. I also had my cereus peruvianus monstrous plants fruit this year for first time and they have big fruit! ( cuttings bought from Roger Meyer RIP) back in 2002 flesh is lighter than dragon fruit and very refreshing!
-yellow skinned fruit

Red skinned fruit both have white flesh!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »
Thanks for the post and confirming he's okay and actually pretty active.

Do other colored flesh apple cactus help with thornlessness?
I would think it's a lost trait that resulted from inbreeding. Cross breeding would "wake up" those genes by filling in the missing pieces from both parents. The offspring would become more wild. Anyway, it's just how I think of it.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:39:58 PM »
Thanks for the post and confirming he's okay and actually pretty active.

Do other colored flesh apple cactus help with thornlessness?
I would think it's a lost trait that resulted from inbreeding. Cross breeding would "wake up" those genes by filling in the missing pieces from both parents. The offspring would become more wild. Anyway, it's just how I think of it.

There was no mention of that colored flesh helped with thornlessness (actually less thorny).
Tim says he is selecting for it and sweeter fruit.
Tim and I disagree on the possibility that indigenous people of Mexico selected for thornlessness. Tim says indigenous people picked fruit from wild cacti. I read that they selected for opuntia ficus-indica, so figured the same could be true for Peruvian apple cactus.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:51:31 PM by ricshaw »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 10:04:45 AM »
That's good news. I hope you were able to help out some forum members outside of California who have not received their tree. When I talked to him in spring he said that everyone would have their trees by September.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 10:39:57 AM »
I would love to purchase Antonio Mango Tree From Tim, but no shopping to FL.

Ed
Zone 10

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
That's good news. I hope you were able to help out some forum members outside of California who have not received their tree. When I talked to him in spring he said that everyone would have their trees by September.

I would love to purchase Antonio Mango Tree From Tim, but no shopping to FL.
Ed

Questions I did not ask:

Has Tim shipped ANY trees outside of California? 

Is So Cal Plantbreeders set up to ship trees?

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »
Is it cheaper to purchase from him, or are you trying to get certain varieties? It just seem you have lots of trouble.. I don't know, just my opinion..  :o there are plenty of other places to get mangos to ship to California.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 07:03:45 PM »
Is it cheaper to purchase from him, or are you trying to get certain varieties? It just seem you have lots of trouble.. I don't know, just my opinion..  :o there are plenty of other places to get mangos to ship to California.

The prices are comparable to buying from a big box store...  cheaper than buying online and shipped to California.

Most buyers are wanting to try his varieties. Many CRFG members purchased his trees, as a group purchase, at a CRFG meeting.

CRFGBRITT

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »
I am an San Diego CRFG member and I purchased three trees from him a couple years ago.  He never delivered nor has he given me a refund.   He doesn't answer phone calls or return calls or emails.   I'm out $140.  Anyone know anything about his situation?

Clay

• USDA Zone 10B, 75' ASL, Orange County, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 04:27:21 PM »
I am an San Diego CRFG member and I purchased three trees from him a couple years ago.  He never delivered nor has he given me a refund.   He doesn't answer phone calls or return calls or emails.   I'm out $140.  Anyone know anything about his situation?

I ordered two trees from Tim in 2013 for delivery in 2014. There were a few delays in production (wind storm, torn greenhouse, etc.) that pushed delivery out to 2015. Then Tim had some emergency health issues to deal with that prevented him from being able to make his deliveries, or even pick up the plants from his "Secret Nursery." I was able to arrange to drive up to Camarillo to his house and pick up my two trees in June 2015. The trees were in good condition and I got them planted in the ground within a week or two. I have not been able to get any response from Tim since I picked up my trees, and I have not seen any kind of updates on his SoCalPlantBreeders website.

Anyone else here have any kind of contact with Tim in the last year or so?

Clay
<<<< Clay >>>>
Orange County, CA 92626

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 06:01:21 PM »

Who did you send the email to?  Which phone number did you call?  You can PM me if you want.

I have not seen or heard anything since I picked up my tree December 2015.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »
Yah, I thought the guy sounded kinda hokey...
Jeff  :-)

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 12:00:56 AM »
Yah, I thought the guy sounded kinda hokey...

Jeff, Not any more hokey than some of the other Mango crazies here.  ;)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 12:03:07 AM »
:D well the whole thing about frost resistant mangoes followed by a multi-year wait with no refunds... not sure I'm too impressed.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk