Author Topic: UC ANR Research center Cherimoya tasting 12-13-19 (ripening and ID questions)  (Read 2336 times)

MotherofDragons

• US, Inland Empire, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Did anyone go? I made it down and it was my first time tasting Cherimoya. I should have known it would be a blind tasting. Padi registrations received boxes of fruit to take home, which we hand picked. I tried to get a veriety. I have no idea what is what though!! I would appreciate any help in trying to ID these. I have been trying to find old posts or old photos of the past tastings with fruit labeled to try and figure it out. I believe that our favorite tastings were El Bumpo and Oxheart, would love help from the Cherimoya gurus!! This tasting was fun as we had a tour of their orchard and got to pick Persimmons after. For those who regularly attend, they did say that due to timing of this event (which was the first in December) that they had some varieties that have no been offered at tastings in the past. Lastly, any advice on determing peak ripeness?

It's always a good day when you get to plant a tree.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Interesting that this year it was a blind tasting event.
The one time I attended the tasting fruit was labeled.
Did you turn in your taste evaluation form?
Maybe they will send you the results of the tasting evaluation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPhhFQfkLSU

MotherofDragons

• View Profile
I set it in my box when selecting my fruit and it got closed up. I did forward a copy to Tammy, though. I tried to ask if we would be informed later. The results would be tallied I was told, but I wasn’t clear on whether they would be identified beyond their tasting numbers.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Of the ones pictured did you have a favorite?
Brad Spaugh

MotherofDragons

• View Profile
Yes, the two pictured on the tasting table were my favorite. The other pictures fruits are the ones we brought home and are not ripe/haven’t been eaten yet. I was hoping to ID those too at least.

MotherofDragons

• View Profile
Yes, the two pictured on the tasting table were my favorite. The other pictures fruits are the ones we brought home and are not ripe/haven’t been eaten yet. I was hoping to ID those too at least.

I just realized there are three, so the 3-2, and R6-T11 were the best IMO. Those I hope someone can recognize, but I am guessing El Bumpo and Oxheart from pictures I’ve been able to find.

Molo

• san diego
    • View Profile
I was there as well and liked R3-T1 and R6-T11.  R6-T11 is most likely El Bumpo.  I emailed Tammy asking for variety names.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
What's the point of a blind tasting unless you find out how the varieties were rated???
John

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
What's the point of a blind tasting unless you find out how the varieties were rated???

It is useful when doing research.  I am sure eventually the results will be revealed.

PassionBob

• Carlsbad, CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
I was there for the tour/tasting also.  R6T11 is probably El Bumpo and R3T2 is probably Ott.  Of those you are holding, the third one down is probably Lucida and the fourth one down is El Bumpo.  They didn't label the tasting table fruits so that there would not be a bias in the tasting for those varieties that are well known.  They alternate years when the fruits to taste are labelled or not.
PassionBob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Pick 3-6 are from Rudy Haluza collections. he has donated more than 20 of his private varieties to Screc throughout the years. Pic #3 is an AtemoyA I suspect African pride and the unnamed cherimoya is from his collection at his villa park property.

MotherofDragons

• View Profile
I was there for the tour/tasting also.  R6T11 is probably El Bumpo and R3T2 is probably Ott.  Of those you are holding, the third one down is probably Lucida and the fourth one down is El Bumpo.  They didn't label the tasting table fruits so that there would not be a bias in the tasting for those varieties that are well known.  They alternate years when the fruits to taste are labelled or not.

Thank you! Hopefully they release them at a later date.

MotherofDragons

• View Profile
Pick 3-6 are from Rudy Haluza collections. he has donated more than 20 of his private varieties to Screc throughout the years. Pic #3 is an AtemoyA I suspect African pride and the unnamed cherimoya is from his collection at his villa park property.

Thank you! How neat that there is an Atemoya as well. Is there a trick to telling when they are perfectly ripe other than checking for slight give?

MotherofDragons

• View Profile
I was there as well and liked R3-T1 and R6-T11.  R6-T11 is most likely El Bumpo.  I emailed Tammy asking for variety names.

I believe we talked! I was the one with the kids  ;)

Molo

• san diego
    • View Profile
Yea, we were talking about R3-T2 and how the first plate of it was not good but the second plate of it was fantastic.  I wonder which one was picked earlier.

spaugh

• View Profile
Yea, we were talking about R3-T2 and how the first plate of it was not good but the second plate of it was fantastic.  I wonder which one was picked earlier.

They seem to just fall off the tree if not picked in my yard.  Those ones that fall off are perfectly ripe so I don't really see how they could be picked too late here. 
Brad Spaugh

Molo

• san diego
    • View Profile
R3-T1 McPherson
R3-T2 Ott
R4-T5 Loma
R5-T6 Concha Lisa
R6-T6 Knight
R6-T9 Nata
R6-T11 El Bumpo

spaugh

• View Profile
R3-T1 McPherson
R3-T2 Ott
R4-T5 Loma
R5-T6 Concha Lisa
R6-T6 Knight
R6-T9 Nata
R6-T11 El Bumpo

Molo, did you get pics of the fruits?
Brad Spaugh

Molo

• san diego
    • View Profile
I have some pics of the fruit.  I'm missing R6-T11 which OP has and also missing good one of R5-T6.