Author Topic: Need help with my dragonfruit!  (Read 1656 times)

Bsully

• Orlando Fl
    • View Profile
Need help with my dragonfruit!
« on: February 27, 2020, 11:52:38 AM »
Hey all and thank you in advance for the advice! I have three dragonfruit cuttings i bought online and were doing great until this week. I moved them to a sunnier spot and they do get water from my yard sprinklers directly on their stem. I am thinking maybe sunburn? I live in orlando florida by the way incase that matter at all. Thank you all!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with my dragonfruit!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 03:01:09 PM »
The skin is soft and getting damaged from being put in the elements.  They were probably in a greenhouse.  It will recover, maybe move it in partial shade to harden off for a couple weeks then back into full sun. 
Brad Spaugh

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 12:40:17 AM »
Is that rot Spaugh? Most of my dragonfruit cuttings got red spots first then proceeded to look like that and rot in those spots that looked calloused. Seemed like they didn't like being wet...

Bsully

• Orlando Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 03:55:51 AM »
Is that rot Spaugh? Most of my dragonfruit cuttings got red spots first then proceeded to look like that and rot in those spots that looked calloused. Seemed like they didn't like being wet...

Not sure what tor Spaugh is but they started off turning white and a few of them have a few orange spots on them, I moved them to a partial shade spot with let water and no direct stem water. Just wanted to make sure I didnt kill them!

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 04:56:32 AM »
Looks like sunburn. It won’t kill the plant, but if it goes all mushy, just cut the bad bit out (don’t cut the centre core), or hit it with the hose to blast the rot away. 👍

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 08:49:53 AM »

Not sure what tor Spaugh is but they started off turning white and a few of them have a few orange spots on them, I moved them to a partial shade spot with let water and no direct stem water. Just wanted to make sure I didnt kill them!

Seen a bunch of dragonfruit around here and cacti in general that were rotted and still kicking, Doesn't look very pretty that's for sure :'( None of mine have bit the dust from it yet...

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 01:12:49 PM »
Hey all and thank you in advance for the advice! I have three dragonfruit cuttings i bought online and were doing great until this week. I moved them to a sunnier spot and they do get water from my yard

That looks to me like some insect has been chewing on the DF stem.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 04:18:26 PM »
The bleaching and rotting is from going from a shaded greenhouse out onto the elements.  The plants have to be broken into sun and rain and cold slowly or they get damaged.  But the plant will grow out of it, its pretty much impossible to kill a DF plant. 
Brad Spaugh

Bsully

• Orlando Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 01:09:02 PM »
Thank you all for the advice I will keep it in a partial sunny area and watch it closely!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 05:12:30 PM »
Did you spray anything?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County