Author Topic: Seedling Mango tree thread  (Read 27570 times)

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling Mango tree thread
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 08:44:58 PM »
This is my mono embryonic mango seedling  which is 9 weeks old. It came from a Keitt mango and I have yet to see any fruit.
The second one is also a keitt mango which was poly embryonic but ironically, the leaves look quite different. Than a typical mango tree let alone a keitt. To be honest, I think the mono embryonic one is going to produce more true to type.

Cheers!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 11:45:06 PM »
...so, people growing polyembryonic seeds of named mangoes DO NOT actually have the exact same fruit tree as the named cultivars.

Hey Roblack, sort of. When you plant a seed from a Polyembryonic mango, you can get a clone or the zygotic seedling. The Zygotic seedling will be genetically different so it will have a different genotype and the phenotype will likely be different as well.

The clone should have identical or near identical genetics so it should have the same genotype and phenotype although there may also be other factors such as genetic drift.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 11:48:43 PM »
@Simon
I did not taste any guava flavor. To me, the flavor reminds me of the kesar mango. Love this tree for the Indian flavor profile and the vigorous growth it has. Flowers and sets fruit very well too. If your into kesars and Alponsos, I think this is a very good alternative for growing in SoCal.

Max

Thanks Max, that’s good to know. I’ll add this to my list. There’s an Indian mango called Rajapuri that actually has a strong guava flavor. It’s a large mango, sweet and also has tropical fruit punch flavors.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2020, 12:15:12 AM »
I forgot to mention that when my Sweet tart Seedling #2 fruit came off in my hand, it leaked some clear sap that had a very strong Indochinese resin scent. The fruit is turning a bit more yellow and it will probably be ripe tomorrow or the day after. I’ll report back once I cut it open.

Simon

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2020, 01:54:13 AM »
I fruited a seedling sweet tart for the first time off my seedling tree and off my aunt's manila tree that I grafted onto. The seedling tree  itself  produced around  15 decent size fruits. It tasted very similar to the original. Fruit was just smaller. The seed was from the mango tasting at Gary's house in Palm Springs from way back when. It was in a pot until two years ago.

Original ST on left, seedling on the right

Seedling sweet tart grafted onto manila holding  7 fruits on the small graft. You can still see the graft union on the bottom.

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2020, 07:03:37 AM »
I fruited a seedling sweet tart for the first time off my seedling tree and off my aunt's manila tree that I grafted onto. The seedling tree  itself  produced around  15 decent size fruits. It tasted very similar to the original. Fruit was just smaller. The seed was from the mango tasting at Gary's house in Palm Springs from way back when. It was in a pot until two years ago.

Seedling sweet tart grafted onto manila holding  7 fruits on the small graft. You can still see the graft union on the bottom.

Do you by chance have a picture of the entire seedling tree? Also how old is the seedling and was this it’s first year fruiting? Thanks!

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
Chris1
I don't  remember  exactly how old the tree is. Guessing 5 or 6 years old. The tree flowered  last year but wasn't able to hold  any  fruits. This is the first  year  holding  fruits.
Here's  the seedling tree

Picture of the leafs pruned back after harvest

New leaf

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2020, 02:04:43 PM »
...so, people growing polyembryonic seeds of named mangoes DO NOT actually have the exact same fruit tree as the named cultivars.

Hey Roblack, sort of. When you plant a seed from a Polyembryonic mango, you can get a clone or the zygotic seedling. The Zygotic seedling will be genetically different so it will have a different genotype and the phenotype will likely be different as well.

The clone should have identical or near identical genetics so it should have the same genotype and phenotype although there may also be other factors such as genetic drift.

Simon

I'm starting to get it, thanks Simon! Slight variations of preferred cultivars are of interest to me.

As for another's post re: guava mango; of the ones I've tasted, most had a distinct guava taste to them. Not a typical Indian mango. Different from Kesar or Alphonso.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2020, 11:06:27 PM »
This is my mono embryonic mango seedling  which is 9 weeks old. It came from a Keitt mango and I have yet to see any fruit.
The second one is also a keitt mango which was poly embryonic but ironically, the leaves look quite different. Than a typical mango tree let alone a keitt. To be honest, I think the mono embryonic one is going to produce more true to type.

Keitt should be monoembryonic. Sometimes monoembryonic mango varieties can sprout multiple sprouts from a single seed but they usually have a single point of origin with a single root system.

Polyembryonic mango sprouts will have multiple sprouts but each sprout will have its own set of roots although some of the seedlings may have multiple tops.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2020, 11:15:47 PM »

Max, this is awesome! I’m especially interested in Sweet Tart and other top tier Polyembryonic seedlings.
Do you happen to remember which seedling you kept? Was it the more vigorous or less vigorous seedling from the seed?

If we consistently find that either the more vigorous or less vigorous seedling is the clone, that will help out a lot of the mango growers out there.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2020, 12:27:34 AM »
Here is an E4 seedling. I planted out several E4 seeds and some came up with multiple sprouts but this seed only had a single sprout come up. It was planted about June-July of last year and is growing very well. It is currently 43 inches tall but has a new vegetative flush pushing right now.

Simon

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2020, 01:51:26 AM »

Max, this is awesome! I’m especially interested in Sweet Tart and other top tier Polyembryonic seedlings.
Do you happen to remember which seedling you kept? Was it the more vigorous or less vigorous seedling from the seed?

If we consistently find that either the more vigorous or less vigorous seedling is the clone, that will help out a lot of the mango growers out there.

Simon
[/quote]

I kept the most vigorous seedling because it was the only one that survived. It had three seedlings total from one seed.  I tried separating the three seedlings. But, the two smaller ones didn’t make it.
Max

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2020, 02:09:20 AM »
Here is an E4 seedling. I planted out several E4 seeds and some came up with multiple sprouts but this seed only had a single sprout come up. It was planted about June-July of last year and is growing very well. It is currently 43 inches tall but has a new vegetative flush pushing right now.

Simon

Wow! If this was my tree and I have the space, I let it get as big as it wants. Love growth on that thing. This is what I love about growing vigorous seedlings. No worrying about getting die backs.

Max

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2020, 06:09:48 PM »
Here’s a thread of a mango seedling from my friend Margot:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21350.msg261001#msg261001

Many growers out there have already fruited their seed grown mango trees. Leo Manuel has many great tasting and productive varieties that he has named as well.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2020, 10:08:35 PM »
I just cut up my Sweet Tart seedling #2 fruit and it was super good! It tastes exactly like the real Sweet Tart and it had a Brix of 26%. This came from a two foot tall tree with approximately 80 leaves. The flesh was a deep orange color and it leaked a lot of juice when cut. I ate this fruit maybe a day or two too late because it was overly sweet and I wanted additional acidity to balance it out. I did have a couple bites where there was good acidity.

Max grew out his largest Sweet Tart seedling and said his fruit tasted like the real Sweet Tart. This is my smaller seedling and it tastes identical to the real Sweet Tart. I’ll probably allow my larger Sweet Tart Seedling #1 to hold a fruit next year to see if it also makes identical fruit compared to the real Sweet Tart.

This fruit had a very small seed as you can see in the picture

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2020, 01:12:06 PM »
Here is an Orange Sherbet seedling. I’m sure I posted a picture of this tree when it was smaller but I don’t recall where I posted it. An animal knocked off the tag so I don’t have the exact date it was planted but I’m guessing it’s around 3-4 years old. It is about 5.5 feet tall and about 5 feet wide at the widest point. The crushed young leaves smell very citrusy. This is an extremely vigorous grower.

Simon

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2021, 02:40:17 PM »
Question regarding genetic variation in monoembryonic mango seedlings:
If you plant a monoembryonic mango seed from a fruit that was born in an orchard with homogeneous genetics, say the large Keitt or Kent mango orchards in Mexico or CA, how significant will the genetic variation be in the seedling tree when compared with the parent tree.  Will you pretty much get a Kent mango if both parents are Kents?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2021, 07:55:08 PM »
Growing a few seedlings. 2 volunteer Glenns (mono) in ground; Lemon Zest (poly), Z20 (mono), Ceci Love (mono), Sweet Tart (poly), and maybe one or 2 others all in pots for now. I believe they are all from last season. Lemon Zest is growing tall fast.

Gave away a cluster of Orange Sherbets sprouting from one seed. Vigorous. 

Manalita threw up several sprouts as well. Grew fast, but not nearly as vigorous as LZ and OS. Gave that cluster away too.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:56:45 PM by roblack »

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2021, 09:51:40 PM »
If you plant a monoembryonic mango seed from a fruit that was born in an orchard with homogeneous genetics, say the large Keitt or Kent mango orchards in Mexico or CA, how significant will the genetic variation be in the seedling tree when compared with the parent tree.  Will you pretty much get a Kent mango if both parents are Kents?

There is some genetic shuffling that goes on during meiosis so no, you won’t get the same thing.  You will get something somewhat similar but there may be enough changes in flavor, fiber, size, etc that the fruit isn’t worth while.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2021, 12:02:45 PM »
About 2010 I planted on of Dr. Campbell’s boys monoembryonic seedlings - Martian Pride. Today I noticed it’s first flowers.   

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2021, 01:50:14 PM »
Any pics, Future? What made you choose that seed to plant--taste/growth habit/etc.?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2021, 01:57:15 PM »
Looks like many of the seedling trees are flowering here.  They only take 3-4 years to flower.  I wish they would go 5 or 6 before flowering to let them get a bit bigger.  But whatever its better than a grafted tree. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2021, 02:08:18 AM »

It would depend a lot on the genetics of that particular variety. If the gene pool is large and that particular monoembryonic variety selfed, you can have a plant that is completely different even though it was pollinated by itself.

If on the other hand you were growing a variety that was already selected for a particular trait or flavor profile over multiple generations, that monoembryonic variety, if selfed will likely yield an offspring that shows that trait or flavor profile.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2021, 02:14:52 AM »
Growing a few seedlings. 2 volunteer Glenns (mono) in ground; Lemon Zest (poly), Z20 (mono), Ceci Love (mono), Sweet Tart (poly), and maybe one or 2 others all in pots for now. I believe they are all from last season. Lemon Zest is growing tall fast.

Gave away a cluster of Orange Sherbets sprouting from one seed. Vigorous. 

Manalita threw up several sprouts as well. Grew fast, but not nearly as vigorous as LZ and OS. Gave that cluster away too.

Roblack,

Please keep us updated on the progress of your trees. I’m especially interested in the offspring of certain varieties I consider top tier such as Sweet Tart,Venus, Lemon Zest,Orange Sherbet, E4, M4, Pina Colada, Coconut Cream, Fruit Punch, Peach Cobbler, Pineapple Pleasure, Seacrest and many other top tier varieties.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2021, 02:16:45 AM »
About 2010 I planted on of Dr. Campbell’s boys monoembryonic seedlings - Martian Pride. Today I noticed it’s first flowers.

Yeah Future, let’s see some pics! How are the seedlings doing where your mom is at?

Simon