Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 64385 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #525 on: April 28, 2023, 03:40:47 PM »
Success! Late Growing grafted onto m. cerifera. Added Crystal scion.

Congrats roblack,

That new growth looks a lot like Cerifera leaves because of the serrations in the leaves.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 28, 2023, 03:43:06 PM »
Looks great Roblack!

Got around to up potting a few today

Always happy to see clean roots

Jaboticaba45, the roots look healthy. Hopefully everyone’s plants are exploding with growth now that it’s warmer. My trees are really starting to flush hard.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 28, 2023, 05:42:38 PM »
Success! Late Growing grafted onto m. cerifera. Added Crystal scion.

Congrats roblack,

That new growth looks a lot like Cerifera leaves because of the serrations in the leaves.

Simon

You are correct! Just pulled the buddy tape off, and found the growth was coming from the outer/upper part of the rootstock cleft graft.

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 29, 2023, 01:41:31 PM »
Out of the 45 ish trees I got from the December Group Order, 7 are looking like they have a fighting Chance. We will see

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 29, 2023, 02:58:50 PM »
These appear to be doing well:

ronke47

• Santa Monica, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 07, 2023, 05:34:34 PM »
Hah, I was about to respond with admiration at your successful grafting.  So far I am 0 out of gazillion, grafting onto cerifera, californica and even my Biqis from an earlier buy. Sadly, my  Californica which is many many years old looks like it is dying. I am not sure if this is because of all the rain we had or the fact that it is surrounded by banana plants. Or if they just have a finite life span.  My cerifera, both in pots and in the ground are all hale and hearty but so far no success with the grafts. I have decided I am just a crappy grafter though I'm doing okay with persimmons and avos.

One thing I have become really intrigued by is the fact that my three yang mei from the most recent buy, two  Wusu and one Dong Kui,  are all pushing growth from both below and above the graft.  Since the consensus seems to be that the rootstocks have a 50-50 chance of being male does it make sense to let these below grafts continue to push to give  me better odds of having a male in this harem? 

Somewhat related, this morning I inspected my two inground Biqi from last year's buy and have come to the conclusion that the so-called female looks to me like a failed graft and the so-called male looks to me like a successful graft.  The only sense I can make of this is that the labels got switched somewhere along the line.  On the other hand, the Biqi so-called male is huge and the so-called female is small and delicate so I guess I  will just wait and see on the happy day when they flower

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 09, 2023, 12:01:57 AM »
Hah, I was about to respond with admiration at your successful grafting.  So far I am 0 out of gazillion, grafting onto cerifera, californica and even my Biqis from an earlier buy. Sadly, my  Californica which is many many years old looks like it is dying. I am not sure if this is because of all the rain we had or the fact that it is surrounded by banana plants. Or if they just have a finite life span.  My cerifera, both in pots and in the ground are all hale and hearty but so far no success with the grafts. I have decided I am just a crappy grafter though I'm doing okay with persimmons and avos.

One thing I have become really intrigued by is the fact that my three yang mei from the most recent buy, two  Wusu and one Dong Kui,  are all pushing growth from both below and above the graft.  Since the consensus seems to be that the rootstocks have a 50-50 chance of being male does it make sense to let these below grafts continue to push to give  me better odds of having a male in this harem? 

Somewhat related, this morning I inspected my two inground Biqi from last year's buy and have come to the conclusion that the so-called female looks to me like a failed graft and the so-called male looks to me like a successful graft.  The only sense I can make of this is that the labels got switched somewhere along the line.  On the other hand, the Biqi so-called male is huge and the so-called female is small and delicate so I guess I  will just wait and see on the happy day when they flower

It would be a good idea to keep at least one branch from below the graft in the hopes of getting an opposite sex plant. If you have lots of growths belie the graft, it may be a good idea to remove most the growths so that the rootstock doesn’t overtake the grafted portion.

Don’t give up on grafting Yangmei. It could be that your scions/rootstocks weren’t in the best shape. A simple cleft graft works well for Yangmei onto Cerifera or Californica.

Simon

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 09, 2023, 10:06:20 AM »
Hey,
has anyone seen success grafting the scions of Adam and Eve from Marta?
Mine had little buds, but seems to be stuck there lol. Honestly not too sure now.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 09, 2023, 01:16:09 PM »
Hey,
has anyone seen success grafting the scions of Adam and Eve from Marta?
Mine had little buds, but seems to be stuck there lol. Honestly not too sure now.
So far mine look good. I did one of each onto yangmei.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 09, 2023, 01:21:00 PM »
My Eve graft is growing fine.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 09, 2023, 01:45:28 PM »
Nice. Glad to see that other growers are having success with them.one are still green, but still it’s annoying that they’re not pushing new growth just yet.

ronke47

• Santa Monica, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 10, 2023, 12:53:24 PM »

It would be a good idea to keep at least one branch from below the graft in the hopes of getting an opposite sex plant. If you have lots of growths belie the graft, it may be a good idea to remove most the growths so that the rootstock doesn’t overtake the grafted portion.

Don’t give up on grafting Yangmei. It could be that your scions/rootstocks weren’t in the best shape. A simple cleft graft works well for Yangmei onto Cerifera or Californica.

Simon
[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement, Simon.  I have tried both veneer and cleft grafts but am usually more comfortable and successful with the cleft.  I will keep trying!  And yes, not allow more than one sprout from below the graft per tree.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 12, 2023, 05:20:27 PM »
Hi

Donkkui and crystal scions I grafted on M ceriferas are pushing buds inside the parafilm wrap. Should I remove the wrapping or not touch them at all?

Also, should I remove all the cerifera branches and new growths and branches ?

Thanks

« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 05:27:13 PM by onur »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 12, 2023, 07:38:51 PM »
Onur, I would leave the Parafilm alone for now because if you remove it, you will probably knock the buds off. I would also leave some of the leaves from the Cerifera to support the grafts. When grafting trees, you want to leave some leaves from the rootstock so that the tree can continue photosynthesis.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 13, 2023, 07:45:35 AM »
Got something goin' on here, Crystal on m. cerifera:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 05:58:45 PM by roblack »

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: May 13, 2023, 10:46:05 AM »
Yangmei seems to graft and grow easily on M cerifera. Kind of hoping that the smaller sized Southern wax myrtle will affect the ultimate size of these yangmei trees.

Here is 2 Adam and 1 Eve graft
Adam

Eve

M cerifera growing wild(or someone planted these its a recovered riparian zone) in Houston

Some more young grafts on M cerifera

« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 10:50:52 AM by NissanVersa »

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 13, 2023, 11:40:05 AM »
Onur, I would leave the Parafilm alone for now because if you remove it, you will probably knock the buds off. I would also leave some of the leaves from the Cerifera to support the grafts. When grafting trees, you want to leave some leaves from the rootstock so that the tree can continue photosynthesis.

Simon

Thank you Simon.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 14, 2023, 05:01:09 PM »
Hey
east coast growers, I challenge you to a race to see who can fruit yangmei the fastest east of the Mississippi river.
Winner gets a grafted yangmei from me!
See you all in 2025!
Or maybe I'm wrong. There's a good chance someone may have fruited it already?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 15, 2023, 04:34:32 PM »
Deep Red on cerifera

Enkis

• Italy 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 17, 2023, 02:16:36 AM »
Wanted to start some yangmei from seed and i've read some sources saying it does best in 5 or even lower PH soil. Is that true?
If true, for those planting in-ground, what's your soil PH? Is there something you do to keep a low PH?
Keep planting and nobody explodes

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 17, 2023, 09:42:53 AM »
I have 2 Biqi growing in ground for 1.5 years or so. They are healthy. Soil ph is around 8, limestone beneath a thin layer of sandy soil.

Haven't had much growth until started watering and feeding them lately. It has been very dry here. It is possible that lower ph could have led to more growth, but plants look good and are responding to better care. I am convinced that at least Biqi and the 2 rootstocks they are on, can handle high ph. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 09:44:55 AM by roblack »

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 17, 2023, 02:19:19 PM »
Garden employees patrolling for pests on the yangmei grafts.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 17, 2023, 02:22:40 PM »
isn't that a ladybug?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 17, 2023, 04:42:43 PM »

Trying this again for the gazillionth time. I will add a couple more Biqi on this shortly

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 17, 2023, 08:27:55 PM »
isn't that a ladybug?

Haha… Yes! The lady by population is incredible this year. They’re everywhere. Patrolling my Yangmei grafts for aphids. 👍🏼

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk