Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

FL summer gardening ideas - best tasting & productive vegetables/herbs

(1/4) > >>

Julie:
Share your ideas on what vegetables to plant over the summer that actually taste good & are productive.

Basil - all types.  Thai, Genovese are what I've tried.  I'm going to try lettuce leaf basil & red basil this summer.
Lemongrass
Mint
Pepper - Habanada & Cubanelle
Eggplant - ping tung long (does not set fruit in hottest part of summer but plant survives & produces after/before the ends of the regular growing season).  Tempted to try thai frog egg & chinese string from Baker Creek.
Green Papaya
Okra - tried it before and didn't like the taste/texture, but will try again this year with new recipes
Garlic Chives
Bottle Gourd - tried it last year and it only set one fruit.  Anyone know where to get seed that can produce better in the heat?

Galatians522:
Almost everyone overcooks okra. Start by bringing your water to a boil. Next, add the okra and leave it in the hot water for 3 minutes--it will usually just start boiling again. At 3 minutes remove it from the heat and immediately drain the water. Butter and salt. I didn't really care for okra until I had it cooked that way.

Galatians522:
For summer vegetables, I am planning to grow several things that have worked well for me in the past. Cranberry hibiscus is a great leaf vegetable when you need a couple leaves for a sandwich or tacos (anything where a little tartness won't be out of place). Sweet potatoes are another good one. They are one of the only tropical root crops that has a short enough cycle to actually harvest in the middle of summer. Leaves and vine tips are great in stir fry or as a cooked green. Cooking bananas and plantains come in summer, too. Bell peppers grow well in the SHADE durring summer. I am experimenting with a nematode resistant variety called Carolina Wonder from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. I am also looking to grow day neutral pigeon peas, day neutral winged beans, and chayote. I'm not sure if the peas and beans will set pods over the summer when the temps are high. As I recall, my eggplant continued to fruit over the summer, but I had them in about 50% shade. Chayote won't fruit until fall, but the vine tips are good (1# green vegetable in Papua New Guinea) and will grow all summer.

Julie:

--- Quote from: Galatians522 on April 02, 2023, 09:40:06 PM ---Almost everyone overcooks okra. Start by bringing your water to a boil. Next, add the okra and leave it in the hot water for 3 minutes--it will usually just start boiling again. At 3 minutes remove it from the heat and immediately drain the water. Butter and salt. I didn't really care for okra until I had it cooked that way.

--- End quote ---

Will try this.

roblack:
Okra rocks! Will try your recipe Galatians. I like it fried too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version