Author Topic: Eugenia uniflora var Dwarf Orange and 3 other rare Myrtaceae  (Read 507 times)

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
I have a few extra plants, so to spread these species to others and help pay for my hobby I put them up on eBay. Eugenia uniflora var Dwarf Orange aka Sellami’s favorite Pitanga, Eugenia keinii, Eugenia caipora and Psidium australe var Australe. Any ? please let me know and have a great day, David https://www.ebay.com/itm/185880496804?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=zGee3RFfQ0-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=zGee3RFfQ0-&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia uniflora var Dwarf Orange and 3 other rare Myrtaceae
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 11:01:55 PM »
Nice selection! I'm eyeing the dwarf orange pitanga...

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 11:05:00 PM »

so you're the SOB that has the higher bid now, huh?!

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 11:18:37 PM »

😂 This brings me back to the funny banter and jokes we all had going on the Rare Myrtaceae Auctions on Facebook.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 11:28:57 PM by Giant Gecko »

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 11:34:33 PM »
O man u can root the dwarf orange!!!! I just grafted up a few  like 2 months ago. Did you do anything special rooting it?
Bill

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 11:52:28 PM »

Jealous? I've never lost on any item I've placed a bid on on ebay... ;)

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 11:56:06 PM »
O man u can root the dwarf orange!!!! I just grafted up a few  like 2 months ago. Did you do anything special rooting it?

I had my plant outside until the first frost but before I bought it inside I needed to prune a small branch. With no rootstock available I figured might as well try rooting it instead of throwing it out. So I trimmed the growing tip off and most of the leaves then let it all heal for about a week before taking the around 7 inch cutting. Dipped it in some regular rooting hormone powder and placed that end a few inches down in 100% damp sphagnum moss in a tree pot. Then put a clear plastic bag over it to keep the humidity consistent. It was in my grow tent so temps fluctuated around 68 night to 82 day.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 11:57:58 PM by Giant Gecko »

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 12:07:13 AM »

I had my plant outside until the first frost but before I bought it inside I needed to prune a small branch. With no rootstock available I figured might as well try rooting it instead of throwing it out. So I trimmed the growing tip off and most of the leaves then let it all heal for about a week before taking the around 7 inch cutting. Dipped it in some regular rooting hormone powder and placed that end a few inches down in 100% damp sphagnum moss in a tree pot. Then put a clear plastic bag over it to keep the humidity consistent. It was in my grow tent so temps fluctuated around 68 night to 82 day.
I like the idea of letting the scion heal up before you remove it thats such a good idea iv overlooked! Iv got a real low (small) branch that im going to give this a shot on. Thanks dave!
Bill

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 12:19:53 AM »

I like the idea of letting the scion heal up before you remove it thats such a good idea iv overlooked! Iv got a real low (small) branch that im going to give this a shot on. Thanks dave!

Here is the cutting when I pulled it out of the sphagnum on Feb 1 around 2 months after cutting. The top is all new growth. I didn’t want it to put energy to the leaves first before growing the roots. I think cutting the growing tip and leaves help in that regard.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 03:43:03 PM »
The auctions close this evening. Hope you all are having a great weekend.