Author Topic: first Savannah Cherry / Eugenia Calycina fruit  (Read 621 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
first Savannah Cherry / Eugenia Calycina fruit
« on: May 08, 2023, 09:59:32 PM »
I never tried these until now, got about six of them this year.  They are slightly sweet, no sour and no off tastes.  Flesh texture and ratio is much like surinam cherry.  One thing I dislike about surinam cherry is that scale insects like to gather in the folds and dimple at the bottom, but savannah cherry doesn't really have any place for them to hide. 

Could be a little sweeter, hoping with time it makes some sweeter fruit.  The ones riped to dark purple/black are definitely better than the red, the lighter ones are very bland

TropicalFruitSeeker

• Vancouver, Wa
    • View Profile
Re: first Savannah Cherry / Eugenia Calycina fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 10:55:24 PM »
exciting to hear they taste good. Did yours set fruit with just one or do you have multiple? I only have one, and I a little worried about the Eugenia low fruit set with only one plant.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 11:05:50 PM »
Looks good and nice fat size.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 11:30:34 PM »
nice, from seed?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 12:17:30 AM »
Yes this is from seed (well, actually a 9waters starter plant).  Only one, I did hand pollinate by picking one flower and touching the others with it.  Most of the flowers set fruit which is promising
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 12:26:07 AM by brian »

TropicalFruitSeeker

• Vancouver, Wa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 12:56:27 AM »
i got mine from 9waters too. Its 2 years old so maybe next year I'll get some flowers.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »
My E. calycinas too, came from 9waters down in Jupiter.  I bought 5 from there and lost one or two over time but the remaining ones got moved up out of 1s into 2 gals two months ago and are having a nice growth spurt right now.  Haven't seen any flowers on them yet but two of 'em are big enough that they should, soon.

Happy to read that yours taste good.  I'm hoping for similar results.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 02:59:10 PM »
Talking to Adam at FFF he said there are basically two types of calycina tasting notes: one is metallic and gross, the other is pretty pleasant balance of sweet/sour. I feel like the one I have is the sweet/sour. It never really gets pure sweet and definitely isn't as outstanding in flavor as CORG which is kind of papaya flavor when they're a good cultivar.

I have Nelita seedlings from Miguel that will flower this year, and have several other seedlings, along with grafts from Wildlands Nursery and Achetadomestica. I hope to find a real winner from this bunch.

This particular fruit shown here is much fatter than other calycinas I've seen and I am curious if it's a hybrid between CORG and Calcyina which I believe happens a LOT. I know for sure mine are cross pollinated by my CORG which only a few feet away.

Calycina and CORG definitely need more selected and named varieties.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 11:54:20 PM »
My Eugenia calycina is also on the mild/bland side compared to the COTRG's I've tasted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk