Author Topic: WTB cuttings of the best self-fertile loquat that exists on planet Earth.  (Read 913 times)

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
Yes, I'm aware that's extremely subjective. ;)

I only have room for one tree, and therefore it's gotta be a real winner.

Tastes amazing, relatively easy to root from a cutting, and heat/cold tolerant.

Thanks!
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
loquats do not root at all from cutting as far as I know.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
loquats do not root at all from cutting as far as I know.

Fruitwood Nursery sells what they call rooted cuttings:

https://www.fruitwoodnursery.com/starter-plugs-seedlings-and-rooted-cuttings/fruit-trees-rooted-cutting-plugs/loquat-rooted-cutting-plugs/

Now I'm not sure what their technique is. I'd guess you need growing tips with leaves attached, not scionwood with the leaves removed? The recently published book Loquat: Botany, Production, and Uses has a chapter titled "Propagation" that says in the introduction that they can be propagated by cutting or air layer, but the actual chapter text is paywalled and the book is $180 so I guess we'll never know what it says!

https://www.cabidigitallibrary.org/doi/10.1079/9781800620988.0008

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
Looking at various YT videos (for what that's worth) and some Googling (also, for what that's worth), loquats can be rooted from cuttings, though it's not quite as easy and clear cut as say, figs for example.

I considered seeds, but my understanding is they're not true to type, and take at least four years before you get any fruit.

Could go to the grafted route, but my understanding is they're not as tolerant to temperature extremes. I'm in Vegas so it'll need to be able to handle our hot temps (with afternoon shade) and lows that can linger into the high 20s for short spurts.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
drymifolia, I did notice the item on sale at Fruitwood nursery, but always seems to be out of stock. Never did see anytime when they showed it was in stock. Wonder why?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
I'm curious to hear what sc4001992 thinks is the best self-fertile loquat, though.  I know he's got a lot of them.  I have only tried my own... 'Christmas' loquat

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Brian, Christmas is a very good tasting loquat. I'm trying to finish up my loquat tasting/brix reading soon. I have a preference for the white flesh loquats, but they all tastes good. I think I will be done collecting new varieties after I get 3 more that I'm waiting for. That should make my variety total 90 or so.

drymifolia

• View Profile
drymifolia, I did notice the item on sale at Fruitwood nursery, but always seems to be out of stock. Never did see anytime when they showed it was in stock. Wonder why?

Their low prices mean they typically sell out within a couple days of adding new stock for many of their things. For their avocado scionwood, I signed up to be notified using the form on the listing page, and they were available in early December and sold out again later that same day. I got some, though. I assume it's similar for loquat plugs, they only are available for a day or two each year because everyone who signed up to be notified buys them immediately when they get the notification. This is from their FAQ:

When is the inventory updated for Scions?

Usually by the 2nd to third week in November we estimate our inventory.  We update it again in January once everything is cut and bundled.

When is the inventory updated for plugs?

Usually plug inventory is updated in June and again in September.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 02:51:31 PM by drymifolia »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
I'm on their wait/notification list, but maybe I will try again for the rooted cuttings since I don't believe they have many (difficult to root) at all.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Brian, Christmas is a very good tasting loquat. I'm trying to finish up my loquat tasting/brix reading soon. I have a preference for the white flesh loquats, but they all tastes good. I think I will be done collecting new varieties after I get 3 more that I'm waiting for. That should make my variety total 90 or so.

Thanks, I am lucky to have picked a good one it seems.  It is very nice tasting to me but I haven't ever tried any others to compare to.  Ninety varieties is an amazing collection!

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
A ended up buying a semi-mature grafted Christmas loquat from ANaturalFarm on Etsy. They've been a great seller.

That said, open to graft cuttings of rock star varieties in the future for those who have them on offer.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Reedo, good info, thank you. For the normal hobbist they won't be doing it that way so I say its not worth trying to root cuttings when it is so easy to graft. But good to know it can be done. Rooted cuttings will never be as strong grower as a seedling tree. Might be a good one to grow in a pot like a bonsai tree.

drymifolia

• View Profile
It sounds like cuttings we’re not very successful, but their best results were a 40% success rate which took roughly three months. That’s not typically a winning formula for commercial nurseries, but perhaps fruitwood nursery cracked the code.

I was curious about Fruitwood's method, so asked them. Here's what Marc said:

We usually get at least 50% takes when we root them in our propagation greenhouse that has a light shade and sprinklers that go off 4 times a day for  short period. Nothing fancy. We do dip them in rooting hormone before sticking them into a 50/50% peat/perlite mix.

Best,
Marc

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
Neat. Thanks for reaching out to them drymifolia!

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
Will air layering work on loquat?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
yes, air layer works fine like other fruit trees.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
yes, air layer works fine like other fruit trees.

Thanks Kaz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk