Author Topic: Squash identification  (Read 610 times)

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
Squash identification
« on: May 20, 2023, 03:04:59 PM »
I got a squash that i didn't plant. Please help to identify. It's doing really well in central Florida and i plan to keep seeds.

Ana

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Squash identification
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 04:05:51 PM »
Did you plant seeds that you saved from last year? If so, you probably got an accidental cross.  Squash cross pollinate like crazy.  If you planted more than one variety, or even if your neighbor planted something, they could have cross polinated. Commercial growers have to separate squash types by a mile or so!

It is probably a hybrid zuchinni, and you can come up with some wild looking things. We have had all kinds of weird sports crop up the next year when we plant things too close together.  Eat it before you save the seeds, might taste like yuck.

Cheers, Carolyn.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 04:21:47 PM »
Last year i grew seminole pumpkin which does not look like this one. Then these stated showing i thought squirrels replanted my seminole.
Just tried it. Its more like calabaza. Not as sweet and orange like Seminole.

Ana

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 04:24:25 PM »
Prbably a seminole/zuchinni.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 09:54:09 PM »
It sure sounds like a hybrid with Seminole. I have a bunch of Seminole pumpkins that I am growing this year with different shapes, but none look like that one. The mottling would indicate that it is a moschatta squash of some kind (like Seminole and Calabaza). Moschatta and pepo squashes almost never hybridize outside a lab from the research I have read. When they do, pepo is the female. Here is an interesting article if interspecific hybridization interests you.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.researchgate.net/publication/369414894_Interspecific_hybridization_for_transfer_of_hull-less_seed_trait_from_Cucurbita_pepo_to_C_moschata&ved=2ahUKEwj5t_bzv6j_AhUFQTABHTfCDwIQFnoECBQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2rh0jJwIW1MH9xIFU6oUYL

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 10:44:12 PM »
It was not sweet and not deep orange color. Since i didn't grow any zucchinis or pumpkins other than seminole, that hybrid was probably brought by  squirrels or birds . Neighbors don't have veggies growing.
I plant its seeds. I will grow anything that survives Florida heat and rain.
Ana

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 12:31:53 PM »
If it is prolific but not very sweet, you could use it as a summer squash. Seminole makes a decent summer squash--the texture is just a little more coarse than a zucchini.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk