Author Topic: Maria Black avovado  (Read 1072 times)

StelaG

• Central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Maria Black avovado
« on: May 25, 2023, 08:27:12 PM »
Does anybody know the story behind this avocado.  I remember someone talking about it a few years back but I can't find it.  We just picked up a couple small 1 gallon.  And trying to find the backstory.  I know it's a dwarf variety and that it produces large black avocados. I remember the founders name was actually "Maria Black" if im not mistaken.TIA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Black avovado
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 09:36:58 PM »
Where did you find it?  I've been thinking of planting that one myself.  Either MB or the one Julian Lara calls Improved Pollock.  I believe it's a mid-season, or fall, avocado, but don't know the exact months.  I'm pretty certain it would ripen between Simmonds and Monroe.  After eating my way through a box of California avocados, various varieties, I've come to a new appreciation of Florida avocados (but they have to be fully mature and properly ripened)!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 09:44:34 PM by johnb51 »
John

StelaG

• Central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 10:26:19 PM »
Where did you find it?  I've been thinking of planting that one myself.  Either MB or the one Julian Lara calls Improved Pollock.  I believe it's a mid-season, or fall, avocado, but don't know the exact months.  I'm pretty certain it would ripen between Simmonds and Monroe.  After eating my way through a box of California avocados, various varieties, I've come to a new appreciation of Florida avocados (but they have to be fully mature and properly ripened)!

These came from Leaph in WPB

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 12:00:09 AM »
You didn't ask him for the backstory?
John

VOLANT007

• USA, Florida, Vero Beach, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 12:59:02 AM »
Does anybody know the story behind this avocado.  I remember someone talking about it a few years back but I can't find it.  We just picked up a couple small 1 gallon.  And trying to find the backstory.  I know it's a dwarf variety and that it produces large black avocados. I remember the founders name was actually "Maria Black" if im not mistaken.TIA

Hey Stela, its Sam.  I don't know much about this variety.  Yes Leaph has a beautiful specimen at his home, my wife and I admire the shape and size every time we walk through his yard.  We actually have a friend that lives a few miles away that grafted us a tree and its doing well.  He also speaks highly of this cultivar.  Wondering if I should put it in the ground or leave it in a pot and graft scions from it onto another avocado tree. 
Paul Nison on FB might have some info on this variety, I believe he grows it and has posted a video or two sampling the fruit.
Sam

StelaG

• Central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 07:43:21 AM »

Someone else made the trip and we just asked them to get them for us.  I messaged Leaph but didn't hear back, maybe the wrong account.  I guess I can message him again. 

StelaG

• Central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 07:47:47 AM »
Hi Sam.  Its suppose to be a good candidate for growing in a pot, but would always do better in the ground if you hae room for it.  I seen a few videos even a couple Paul did.  Its also a very prolific producer from what I can see.  Hopefully its a winner and It will be replacing some of the other varieties we have. 

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 08:54:36 AM »
I have Maria Black and I've tasted the fruit.  The flavor was good, it was similar to Oro Negro, but matures earlier.  The tree seems healthy and growing well.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 01:51:56 PM »

The same guy who says he has an off property nursery but really doesnt?

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2023, 08:50:53 PM »
I have Maria Black and I've tasted the fruit.  The flavor was good, it was similar to Oro Negro, but matures earlier.  The tree seems healthy and growing well.

Hi Julie. Would you be willing to share some/sell some bud wood this fall? Not sure where in miami you are but I'd be happy to drive down.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 10:50:20 AM »
If the taste is similar to Oro Negro, that sounds pretty good.  A step up from Simmonds, Monroe, Choquette, and others.
John

StelaG

• Central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 02:32:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  We also have an Oro negro, but it didn't fruit this year.  Actually none of our avocados fruited this year. 

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2023, 12:19:22 AM »
If the taste is similar to Oro Negro, that sounds pretty good.  A step up from Simmonds, Monroe, Choquette, and others.

I like choquette too, and it’s very reliable and productive. Taste is so subjective. I do think Maria B is a step up though in my personal opinion

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2023, 12:21:31 AM »

Hi Julie. Would you be willing to share some/sell some bud wood this fall? Not sure where in miami you are but I'd be happy to drive down.

Not right now. My tree is small and I’m not sure how to get budwood and currently too busy to get into it (maybe in the future), but this variety isn’t too hard to come by. My tree was grafted by Zill (from Al’s fruit trees in Miami, though ready to grow gardens has this variety also)

JR561

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2024, 03:24:49 PM »
Anyone have any luck with this variety?

Mine doesnt seem to be setting any fruit at all.

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2024, 07:29:44 PM »

How long ago did it get planted?

JR561

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2024, 06:29:18 AM »

How long ago did it get planted?

At least 2 years now from a huge 7 gallon.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2024, 12:07:06 PM »
Maria Black was found in a lady's back yard in Vero Beach FL. Zills nursery propagated it and was the first wholesale  nursery to sale it.
Mike

Elijah

• United States, California, San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2024, 01:09:34 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  We also have an Oro negro, but it didn't fruit this year.  Actually none of our avocados fruited this year.

None of your avocado bear fruits this year?
What variety avocado are those? I must avoid them.

I have a few avocado trees and they are all blooming except Shawill. They are too young and need to focus on growth so I will take out fruits once they have them.

JR561

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 01:19:37 PM »
I take that back. I see a couple of fruits so.

GAME ON!

8)

JR561

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2024, 08:36:43 AM »
I take that back. I see a couple of fruits so.

GAME ON!

8)

Tree said nope not this year.

My Day and Wurtz are picking up the slack though thats for sure.

StelaG

• Central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2024, 07:18:40 PM »
We picked up a Thompson Red from Mike at TreesNmore last year.  It Flowered like crazy but I don't think it set any fruits.  We also have Brogdon, Oro negro, Lila, Donnie and one other unknown we grafted from a neighbors yard.  I can't even remember what the fruit looked like.  lol  We grow most of our trees in pots, lack of space.  Oro Negro also purchased from Mike, we put in the ground, along with 1 of the Thompson Reds at our friends farm.  That TR died, so we will probably graft another one and take ours down there and plant this year.