Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Better tasting mango variety than Alphonso

(1/4) > >>

nileshkwr:
Those people who tasted Alphonso mango grown in Konkan region of India, have you come across any mango variety which tastes better than Alphonso?
I only like Uttar pradesh grown Dasheri tastewise. It was at same level tastewise.
Keshar, mallika, benganpalli, imam pasand, Ratna, Sindhu which I tasted were not even close to Alphanso.

Iceman716238:

--- Quote from: nileshkwr on May 27, 2023, 06:35:31 AM ---Those people who tasted Alphonso mango grown in Konkan region of India, have come across any mango variety which tastes better?
I only like Uttar pradesh grown Dasheri tastewise. It was at same level tastewise.
Keshar, mallika, benganpalli, imam pasand, Ratna, Sindhu which I tasted were not even close to Alphanso.

--- End quote ---
There are tons of mango varieties better than Alphonso here in the US. You don't have access to them in India unfortunately.

nileshkwr:
Can you name them, please?

simon_grow:
Taste perception and preferences are different for each individual but you may like ValCarrie, Carrie, Angie, Super Alphonso, J12. These have a different flavor profile from Indian grown Alphonso but they have some characteristics of the Indian resinous flavor of Alphonso. The ValCarrie is productive in my area and is disease resistant and has a richness passed onto it from the Valencia Pride and Carrie. J12 has a very different taste but my Indian friends really enjoyed this mango although it can have some s un even ripening issues when grown in my area. I love Alphonso with its metallic pine sol resinous gasoline flavor but these other varieties are as good or better without the Jellyseed or internal breakdown issues associated with Alphonso. Alphonso is also prone to Powdery Mildew at my location.

Simon

nileshkwr:
Last year Mr Satya told me, Valcarrie and Super Julie have excellent taste.
Any other mangoes? Taste should not be restricted to typical alphonso flavour.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version