Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Finding Land in South FL

(1/8) > >>

Jaboticaba45:
So,
I had a dream of getting land down in FL. Just right now, the funds for getting several acres in prime location is just not available to someone like me lol.
So, thing is, is it plausible to find a decent land (1/4 acre) for under 10k?
I found a few places I like, but what is everyone's thoughts on that? It would be bare minimum with no water, electricity, etc.
It seems like inland FL is really cheap. Anything by the coast is too expensive.
Lake Placid seems pretty cool, area looked cheap, and it looks like I could exploit the microclimate of the lakes in the area to be able to grow some stuff (mangoes, bananas, lychee, jabos...)
https://www.landsearch.com/properties/792-amour-dr-lake-placid-fl-33852/2590886
Something like this?
So, can someone tell me am I just going crazy, or is this something plausible? Good idea or super stupid?
What else do I need to consider?

brian:
If you own land you don't live on you have to be able to defend it from squatters, thieves, vandals, dumping, etc.

For what you are describing you might be able to essentially lease somebody's unused backyard

Jaboticaba45:

--- Quote from: brian on May 29, 2023, 03:58:28 PM ---If you own land you don't live on you have to be able to defend it from squatters, thieves, vandals, dumping, etc.

For what you are describing you might be able to essentially lease somebody's unused backyard

--- End quote ---
I’m not too worried about that, but something to consider
I hope to get it in a decent place so no one thinks of that. Would have to put a fence or something up it would just be trees there anyway nothing valuable.
Looking back at how much I invested to the greenhouse, maybe I could’ve just pooled it in a got a nice land in FL😂

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Areas to avoid? Areas to look into?
I want to grow coconuts there
But even that far south I’m doubting cause it’s so far from the coast😓

dwfl:
If you want good coconut production you'll want to be further south. And yes generally closer to the coast is better.

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: Jaboticaba45 on May 29, 2023, 03:35:27 PM ---So,
I had a dream of getting land down in FL. Just right now, the funds for getting several acres in prime location is just not available to someone like me lol.
So, thing is, is it plausible to find a decent land (1/4 acre) for under 10k?
I found a few places I like, but what is everyone's thoughts on that? It would be bare minimum with no water, electricity, etc.
It seems like inland FL is really cheap. Anything by the coast is too expensive.
Lake Placid seems pretty cool, area looked cheap, and it looks like I could exploit the microclimate of the lakes in the area to be able to grow some stuff (mangoes, bananas, lychee, jabos...)
https://www.landsearch.com/properties/792-amour-dr-lake-placid-fl-33852/2590886
Something like this?
So, can someone tell me am I just going crazy, or is this something plausible? Good idea or super stupid?
What else do I need to consider?

--- End quote ---

I am very familiar with Lake Placid. It does have a micro-climate, but anything near enough to a lake to get a significant lake effect will be way more expensive than what you mentioned. I looked at the lot you linked. That is in an old subdivision that never had roads built. The state has bought most of the lots around that property because the native scrub habitat has a lot of endangered plants and wild life (gopher tortoise and sand skink). So, access is limited and you may never be able to build on it (if that is important to you). Technically, there is a platted road there, but I don't know if they would let you clear it without mitigating (buying conservation land for the state in exchange for building rights). You might look at it on the Highlands County Property Appraiser's Office website or better yet, call them and talk to them about it--they usually have a good feel for what things are worth (as much as I hate to admitt that when my tax bill comes, lol!).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hcpao.org/&ved=2ahUKEwi084XyqJv_AhWCRTABHRtXDfQQFnoECBkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3uuHkzFXvISwMzw-BJTHXc

In any case, my advice with Real estate is to never buy anything that you have not seen in person--especially in Florida. I know of a guy who bought 2.4 acres at an auction for just a couple grand. It turned out to be a 30' wide drainage easment with a ditch down the middle.  :o :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version