Author Topic: Question about banana trees  (Read 422 times)

MJ88

• Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Question about banana trees
« on: May 22, 2023, 10:47:19 AM »
My Banana Tree is still pretty small and the new growth on it has come up very pale yellow with brown spots on it. I'm wondering what this could be attributed to. I think maybe overwatering on my part, it had been underwatered and when I started watering more it was looking good so I started watering more frequently. It's been fertilized twice in the past 4 weeks with Jack's 20 20 20, I do 1 tbsp a gallon and do a 4 or 5 second light pour on all my plants and nothing is burned so I don't think it's that. Also we get a lot of fog here as of late in the night and early morning hours, and it leaves the plants dripping wet quite often when I go look at them every morning. So I'm thinking that this might from a combination of overwatering which is causing the yellow anemic look, and the brown spots I think could be from excessive moisture getting in the little curled up new leaf, and it's just causing a little fungal growth or rot from just over saturation. Cause there's nothing on the other leaves just the new one. So if anyone with more experience has an educated guess or recognized this as some disease or something, please let me know. Any thoughts are welcome, I'd really appreciate the help.

MJ88

• Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Question about banana trees
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 10:49:23 AM »
Here's some other pictures. For some reason it only posted it when I lowered my pictures from 3 to 1. It always tells me error cleantalk.. please enable Javascript. I have no idea what anyone of that means, Javascript is enabled. Does anyone else have this issue or know what could be causing it? Anyways here's the other pictures

plantperson

• East Coast 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 12:48:44 PM »
I've had that happen before on Musa basjoo and it grew out of it... However, mine was much larger so I don't know how it will affect a small plant.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 07:33:08 PM »
Where is it? Outside or in a greenhouse?
In general, unless it is an old leaf, or a nutrient deficiency, too much water makes the leaves turn yellow. BUT, often "too much water" simply means poor drainage.

I have found that if you have enough drainage, you can't really overwater or overfertilize.  I put my bananas in a mix of 1/2 raised bed potting mix and half perlite.  I like the water to run through very quickly.

Carolyn

MJ88

• Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 10:41:14 AM »
Okay thanks for the advice. Yea the drainage isn't bad, I think it could be better though. After mixing my own potting soil a bit more in the past couple months I know that I would've added more perlite if I was doing it again. But it drain pretty good and it's been real cool so the water just hasn't been evaporating at all, if anything it adds more moisture to the soil with lead condensation run off and mild mild sprinkling showers/fog. Socal has had extremely strange weather lately. When it warms up it dries up much quicker and I was watering almost every day or every other. It's an outdoor plant, all my stuff is. I just can't figure this out. I don't know if it's over fertilizing or perhaps under. I'm gonna skip fertilizing till next month and see how it looks, I'd rather under fertilize as an experiment than try giving it more as an experiment and then have it be too messed up to save it. You can always add more, can't take it out. I think it might be some kind of rot when the leaves are forming and all curled up and water is just sitting in there or something and getting some weird fungal thing going on. As for the yellow I can't figure that out. The soil isn't what I would call wet or water logged in any way. When you stick your finger in a couple inches deep it just has a good somewhat moist or damp feeling, there's no liquid sitting in it, if you picked up a lump and squeezed it there would be no dripping or excess water, so I really don't think it's overwatering. I'm just a bit baffled, it could just be a phase like one of you said your plant went through. Hopefully it grows out of it. I sprayed it with a little anti fungal spray when I was spraying my peach tree which has shothole and that spray made a huge difference I think it saved it, so I know the spray works. So well see what happens. It seems healthy other than that, hopefully it continues to grow and our weather warms up so we don't have so much fungus friendly weather.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 12:08:57 PM »
yeah I always get this on banana pups if it rains before they're established, they always grow out of it
they might look ugly for a little bit but they'll come back stronger than ever
instagram @trumansacco