Author Topic: When to repot  (Read 2167 times)

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
When to repot
« on: February 08, 2016, 10:24:36 PM »
I have a 40 year calamondin that has been in the same pot for about 5 years. Leaves look good but it has not put out any new growth in a while. But the root ball is pretty dense. Should I leave it in the same pot and prune the roots? Should I also prune the branches? Or should I just put it into a larger container without pruning it?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: When to repot
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:41:02 PM »
What size container is the tree in now? - Millet

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:32:09 PM »
My 2 cents worth.........if you are happy with the size it is now........remove from pot.......take a bread knife and slice around the rootball in a box shape like a loaf of bread...in fact a bread knife is ideal.........say 2 inch all around......remove any rotting roots.......tease the outside roots out a bit........give the containor a good scrub and rince(new or old).......put in about 2 to 4 inches of fresh potting mix........rose mix is good or terracotta mix..........put back into pot at same height as before.......prune the top a bit as well.......cut back branches to outward facing bud....water with seaweed solution to get the roots active......keep in semi shade for 2 weeks .....Good time to repot now where you are as it will give the tree time to put out new roots over winter ...ready for spring flush........keep on the dry side of moist and after 2 weeks introduce to full sun........dont feed at all or add stuff to the mix at repot....wait until you see new top growth and then apply slow release fert to the top.........if you want it to grow bigger.....remove from pot........prune any cirling roots........tease roots a little .......pot up to a pot 2 to 4 inch bigger than existing pots......2 to 4 inch on bottom of pot......place rootball in.......backfill........water with seasol and follow above,..........no need to prune top........feed when sign of new top growth appears.......i put some mesh(onion sack) on the bottom of pot to stop mix leaching out..............I used to put gravel on bottom but i dont anymore....try to have 4 to 5 main branches on top.......prune to shape and prevent long leggy branches.......If possible put pot on pot feet and make sure there are loads of drainage holes ......this is what i do......I have 5 trees that i want to pot up but its been 42C here for the past three days and i will wait for it to become cooler before i do that........Hope this helps ....good luck.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:36:48 PM by laidbackdood »

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:27:06 PM »
Hi Millet, It is in a 16 inch container.
Laidbackdood - thank you very much for the great info

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:58:33 AM »
Vlad......All good.............I have killed many trees before i started to get anywhere with my trees.............i had two problems = 1....serial over waterer     2........serial over feeder        .........after therapy......I am fine now !    hahaha

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:23:26 PM »
Young trees should be repotted once every two or three years.  It is not advisable to keep trees in the same pot for too long otherwise they enter a phase of progressive deterioration due to impoverishment of the soil and lack of space required for further development of the root system.   Adult plants already in medium sized containers should be repotted at least every 3-4 years until they reach their definitive container, which would have a diameter of approximately 27 to 31 inches.  Very large trees can be kept in containers of this size.  If space is limited, a container with a diameter of 19-24 inches can be considered definitive.  The trees will be smaller but no less beautiful.   Its your choise to either transplant into a larger size container, or transplant the tree by cutting back the root system then placing back into the same container as described in Laidbackdood's post. - Millet
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:28:39 PM by Millet »

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 07:14:04 PM »
Looks like I will have to go to an 18 inch container. Any suggestions as to what type of container and soil?

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 08:36:29 PM »
Similar to what you have now....only larger.......easy transition for the tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk