Author Topic: Genome Editing - Not GMO  (Read 2245 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Genome Editing - Not GMO
« on: February 12, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »
The researchers will identify genes that make citrus susceptible to HLB and use the recently developed CRISPR-based genome editing approach to modify those genes. They will not be introducing foreign genes into the citrus. Instead, they will deactivate or modify native citrus genes. Genome-edited crops are not considered genetically modified organisms, or GMO. The genome-edited citrus varieties will then be examined for their resistance to HLB. In addition, the researchers will investigate public acceptance of products with genome-edited citrus. Past research has shown that certain species of bacteria are associated with HLB. In the United States, the dominant species is Ca. L. Asiaticus (Las). Genome sequencing has revealed that Las contains the Sec secretion system, through which a variety of proteins, called effectors, can be secreted into the citrus phloem. Scientists compared effectors to missiles being released into the citrus, causing damage to the phloem,

Millet
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:18:43 PM by Millet »

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Genome Editing - Not GMO
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:11:21 AM »
Millet, organisms whose genomes have been modified (edited) using CRISPR/Cas9 are nevertheless Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) in that their genomes have been modified!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 03:03:37 AM »
By that definition, pollination would result in genetically modified offspring as well. Cloning is the only way to not have genetic alteration, plus protection from radiation. I agree that cloning is a good method. We raise whatever rootstocks and then we graft clones of good tasting varieties onto them.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 03:55:52 AM »
Millet, organisms whose genomes have been modified (edited) using CRISPR/Cas9 are nevertheless Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) in that their genomes have been modified!
Pressure groups like Greenpeace are working hard in order to label them GMO, but organisms modified like this are not different from natural or induced mutants  that gave a vast majority of cultivated varieties.
By this logic all satsumas, grapefruits, oranges should be classified with GMO label.
Do you know, by the way, that we all are genetically modified with respect to our parents, since on average each generation has 40 changes in their genomes.   
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 10:51:59 AM »
fyliu and Ilya11, you are both right. What you mention are "natural" genetic modifications and therefore are OK as far as the likes of Greenpeace are concerned. The other types of genetic modifications are un-natural and therefore not OK. Gene editing has great potential for agriculture.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:43:44 PM »
fyliu and Ilya11, you are both right. What you mention are "natural" genetic modifications and therefore are OK as far as the likes of Greenpeace are concerned. The other types of genetic modifications are un-natural and therefore not OK. Gene editing has great potential for agriculture.

Why is it not okay?

Vlad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »
I meant as far as the likes of Greenpeace are concerned.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
Views on the GMO aside, when i think about having to modify citrus to allow their survival i always get sad. My main concerns aren't navel oranges, or Tahiti limes; they have an industry so big behind them that they are going to find a way (the irony is that the way of growing them that has been induced by big industries is the sources of the problems they plant experience, but this is another topic).
What i fear most are the heirloom varieties which are gown in handful by hobbyists, they won't move big money to be saved and they will probably disappear. That's painful.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »
I am not pessimistic at all.
From my life experience there are many more citrus hobbyist now than before and even industry is paying great attention to individual tastes versus mass production.
Best regards,
                       Ilya