Author Topic: Amazing Multi-grafted citrus tree 101 in 1  (Read 4506 times)

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Amazing Multi-grafted citrus tree 101 in 1
« on: June 19, 2016, 11:44:32 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/JoeRealOne/media_set?set=a.10152380277601804.762176803&type=3

This guy in California has a multi grafted citrus tree with 101 varieties on it! WOW!

If you look into his albums he also has a 53 in 1 persimmon tree and an 85 in 1 prunus tree with peaches, plums, cherries, almonds, etc. on it

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Multi-grafted citrus tree 101 in 1
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:13:32 AM »
Yes that is Joe Real a friend of mine.  However, Joe has moved from the home where he produced his 101 in 1 tree and now lives at a different location.   Great guy. - MIllet

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »
aw that's sad. I hope the new owner is an avid gardener as well. I wonder if he saved any budwood from his trees?

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/JoeRealOne/media_set?set=a.10152380277601804.762176803&type=3

This guy in California has a multi grafted citrus tree with 101 varieties on it! WOW!

If you look into his albums he also has a 53 in 1 persimmon tree and an 85 in 1 prunus tree with peaches, plums, cherries, almonds, etc. on it

It is impressive but not so much practical. The tree has 101x the chance to be infected with a graft transmittable disease and would require a lot of pruning to maintain it's shape.

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 10:11:35 PM »
It's not 101 on 1.  Here are my grafts I just finished last week.  These are all on trifoliate rootstock.  The first one listed is the original tree.

Mexican lime stock
88-2
Owari
Pixie
Clementine
Gold Nugget

Mexican lime stock
Keffir lime
NZ lemonade
Gold Nugget
Valencia  x2
Pomona Acidless Lemon

Hamlin orange stock
NZ lemonade
Pomona Acidless lemon
Valencia x2

So I plan to keep these outside and move them into the garage when it is predicted to go below freezing and then back outside again when above freezing.

In the GH, I have the following:
Washington Naval stock
Cara Cara
NZ lemonade
Tahitian pomelo
Rio Red grapefruit

Honey mandarin stock
Gold Nugget
Pixie
Kishu

These were all cleft grafts.  I did some inverse T bud grafts in Dec.  The buds are still green but have not budded out.  I did a cleft graft of Kishu in March and it budded out in3 weeks and pushing more growth now. 

Van

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 12:42:24 PM »
Very nice.  Did you make those large wooden containers or did you purchase them.  They are very quality looking. - Millet

harveyc

• Isleton, Calif (Sunset zone 14, USDA 9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 04:57:30 PM »
Joe still owns his Davis home and I visited him at that home a year or so ago but now rents it out to UCD staff.  Some of the citrus grafts had died out due to lack of maintenance after he moved to his new home.

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 07:06:54 PM »
Yes I made those myself.  If I were to do it again, I would make each side removable so I could root prune if needed.  I still may be able to do it with these but let see if they live first.  I have one more already cut up but not assembled yet.  I may paint some Cu paint on the inside of that one. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 10:51:09 PM »
Vanman, the many large wooden containers at Versailles in France that contain the Versailles citrus collection look much like yours, but the sides are hinged so that they can be opened to attend to the tree's root systems. - Millet
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 10:53:31 PM by Millet »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »
 Vanman, I really like your boxes and I might try to build some too. I love the huge caster wheels and the volume of dirt. Millet's statement about a hinged side sure makes sense. I've got some potted citrus that needs to go in the ground or in a large box like yours and I like the idea of rolling them indoors for bad freezing nights. I'm worried about needing a ladder to pick the fruit on large trees in a large above ground container. How do people with big boxes handle picking chores ? Thanks, Tom
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:19:42 AM by Tom »

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 07:52:31 AM »
Thanks Tom. The biggest issue I have with them are that they are very heavy.  Maybe 400 lbs.  Not too big a deal on a flat smooth surface, but I like to keep they in front of a south facing white barn door in the winter. So that is located up the driveway at about a 20 degree incline. So I try not to move them too much.  One year I had an avocado tree in one of them. The forecast low was going to be in the teens and it was in the 60's that day.  It was Super Bowl Sunday so I thought I had plenty of time to move it after the game at about 9pm. When I went outside after the game it was 22 degree. Needless to say, but the avocado eventually died from that event.  I guess that would be true of an cold sensitive container plant. 
     The other issue with the heaviness is that my garage has a 3/4" lip on it, and each caster has to be somewhat lifted up on to the lip.  Momentum sometime works to get the caster up, but one time the caster broke away when I did that.  So if you have a big lip like that, you may want to consider a larger caster. 
     If I need a ladder to pick my fruit, I'll consider that a good problem to have.  Van

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 11:50:11 AM »
If I need a ladder to pick my fruit, I'll consider that a good problem to have. 

Agreed   :D

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 12:21:45 PM »
Great post vanman , you've got me thinking..... I've got too much gravel around my barn. I couldn't move #400 even 2 feet on small caster wheels even pulling it with my truck! I have some adjustable pallet forks that came with a Kubota tractor and front end loader. I could build the boxes on heavy duty pallets and move them when necessary with the Kubota front end loader !! I still don't like the idea of picking fruit from a ladder but I guess that's the least of my problems (like you and brian said). Thanks for all the ideas !Tom

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 02:57:21 PM »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 03:29:28 PM »
Thanks Millet, they are beautiful, really pieces of art. Way out of my league but would look on my front end loader. Tom
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:31:15 PM by Tom »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
If you go to Louie XIV's palace at Versailles, France one can see the huge citrus collection consisting of  hundreds of citrus varieties growing in such containers.  The collection was begun by King Louie XIV of France about 300 year ago.  Louie XIV had over 3,000 trees in his collection.  Click on the link below and you can see the Kings garden and Orangery.  The container trees you see in the pictures are all the citrus collection.  Hundreds and hundreds of them. - Millet

https://www.google.com/search?q=versailles+orangerie&biw=1366&bih=599&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjulaqc3-zNAhWK1CYKHYqDD2gQsAQINQ

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:18:09 PM by Millet »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 10:34:41 PM »
Beautiful ! After looking more loosely at the pictures they have hundreds of those boxes ! Breathtaking !! Thank you again for the pictures ! Tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk