Author Topic: sumo  (Read 5752 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
sumo
« on: February 21, 2022, 08:35:40 PM »
Anyone here know where to get grafted sumo tree from verified sources?

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Re: sumo
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 09:29:17 PM »
I was able to pick one up online from BriteLeaf last year. Theres also an online nursery in Jersey selling some on Etsy. Look up Mightyoaktreenursery

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 09:30:29 PM »
I was able to pick one up online from BriteLeaf last year. Theres also an online nursery in Jersey selling some on Etsy. Look up Mightyoaktreenursery

Have yours fruited? Are they authentic sumo's?

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 09:46:37 PM »
Not yet. I can't see BriteLeaf's trees not being the real deal. Not sure where the Etsy seller is sourcing from.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 09:53:55 PM »
There was just a thread about this very recently. 

I have a shiranui/dekopan/sumo from Harris Citrus.  They have been around a while and I see no reason why it would be a fake.  Fruit looks exactly like the grocery store fruit (though less shrivelled, I don't let it age).  It is really good, definitely one I will keep

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 12:35:06 AM »
There was just a thread about this very recently. 

I have a shiranui/dekopan/sumo from Harris Citrus.  They have been around a while and I see no reason why it would be a fake.  Fruit looks exactly like the grocery store fruit (though less shrivelled, I don't let it age).  It is really good, definitely one I will keep

My tree produces huge sized sumo compared to those sold in the market, I would say some are around twice the size.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYubOpavdQE/

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 01:58:17 AM »
FYI, if you purchased shiranui from UCR CCPP budwood, VI860 they have 3 accessions (versions). The shiranui from Harris is another variety of sumo, not the same as what is sold from UCR.

So the real sumo plants are not sold to the public, but all of the fruits are very good tasting. UCR seems to have the fruits that look much closer to what the stores sell as sumo. The true sumo that was brought into US by Sunkist Japan is not for sale to the public, they paid the fees and approved the growers here in CA to grow the crops to sell fruits to the store.

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/CRC4249.html

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 01:40:54 PM »
I am not very well informed on citrus breeding, but how would multiple very similar versions of a citrus fruit appear like this?  I thought even if you cross two parent plants only, the non-clone seedlings are highly variable, and only an incredibly small fraction would be marketable?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 02:44:56 PM »
Brian, I don't know much about the breeding either. But I think what they are saying is there were three different origin of the sumo. One was submitted from China (who said it was a sumo from Japan, could have been a seedling ?), and other one was from Brazil (don't know how they got it, or where), the last one is the true variety that you buy from the market, it came from Japan but not commercially available to buy any budwood from CCPP. Sunkist/Suntreat owns the patent rights and will not just let anyone grow it. They select growers here in CA to plant/produce the sumo for market.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2022, 06:24:36 PM »
Brian, I don't know much about the breeding either. But I think what they are saying is there were three different origin of the sumo. One was submitted from China (who said it was a sumo from Japan, could have been a seedling ?), and other one was from Brazil (don't know how they got it, or where), the last one is the true variety that you buy from the market, it came from Japan but not commercially available to buy any budwood from CCPP. Sunkist/Suntreat owns the patent rights and will not just let anyone grow it. They select growers here in CA to plant/produce the sumo for market.

If you live in FL, you can buy a Shiranui Mandarin Tree at $49.99 now.   The fruits on the pic looks those sold in store.

Florida Only: These options can ship to Florida addresses only.

Out of State: These options can ship to all states except the following: AK, AZ, CA, FL, LA, HI or TX.

If an option is not able to be selected, we are currently out of stock for that option. Click “Notify me when available” to get notified as soon as it is back in stock.

The Shiranui is a Japanese mandarin hybrid between a Ponkan tangerine and a Kiyomi tangor. Its fruit is large, very sweet and produces no seeds making it a highly desirable fresh fruit variety.

Although officially known as Shiranui in Japan, this mandarin variety has been trademarked as both ‘Dekopon’ and ‘Sumo’. In Korea it is called ‘Hallabong’ and in Brazil it is called ‘Kinsei’. No matter what you call it, the Shiranui can be recognized by its large protruding bump on the top of the fruit, which is ripe in early spring to early summer.

Parentage: Ponkan tangerine x Kiyomi tangor
Harvest season: Feb-May
Growing zones: 9-11
Pollinator needed: No
Seeds per fruit: Seedless
Mature height - Full Size: 12-15 ft.
Mature height - Dwarf: 8-10 ft.
Size when shipped: 26-30”

We ship all orders the same business day if placed before 12:00pm EST. We ship trees Mon-Thu so that they arrive prior to the weekend. Your trees may ship the following week to avoid being in transit over the weekend.

Each of our trees is hand-grafted and raised with care at our nursery in Central Florida. We guarantee that you will receive a high quality, healthy citrus tree free of pest or disease - or your money back.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 06:26:48 PM »
I got one this week. Very nice plant. I am excited!!
Ana
Ana

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 10:28:07 PM »
I can't comment on the various "subtypes" of shiranui/sumo/dekopan, all I can say is that the one I have makes fruit pretty much identical to the ones sold as Sumo in grocery stores, and it is a really great mandarin.  It is very productive and good tasting for me, always seedless, easy peeling.  I think you will be happy with it.

I got mine from Harris Citrus in FL a few years ago, though they don't have it in stock right now.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 10:12:59 PM »

I just plucked out shiranui fruitlets.. finally got 1

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 07:54:14 AM »
Anyone here know where to get grafted sumo tree from verified sources?

Ive seen some trees labelled shiranui at armstrong in glendora. Might be worth a call.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 08:23:05 AM »
gozp, looks like you have new fruits for next season already, nice.

ManVfruit, same here, my fruits are much larger than the ones from the grocery store. I hope my fruits ripen in another month. Seems I have one grafted tree that has the largest fruits every year. My other trees has fruits that are slightly larger than the store bought fruits.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2022, 02:03:58 PM »
sc4001992,

Your fruits look more like real Sumo, with rough rind and clear necks.   Ours dont have these features.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 03:16:12 PM »
I have many Shiranui grafted trees from the UCR CCPP budwood. This one with the consistently large and bumpy neck was from my 2017 budwood purchased. As I mentioned before, the newer orders from CCPP like in 2019, 2020, 2021 seems to have the fruits that are more flat with no neck and also seems to have a lot more seeds (3-6 in each fruit) which is not right to me.

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2022, 04:38:18 PM »
I have many Shiranui grafted trees from the UCR CCPP budwood. This one with the consistently large and bumpy neck was from my 2017 budwood purchased. As I mentioned before, the newer orders from CCPP like in 2019, 2020, 2021 seems to have the fruits that are more flat with no neck and also seems to have a lot more seeds (3-6 in each fruit) which is not right to me.

I got my shiranui ccpp budwood in 2020 and it looks like your pics. Huge fruit and neck some seeds. Seems like it wants to be really productive its going to be a branch breaker for sure.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2022, 05:39:03 PM »
Goyo626, that's good news. When you order, you can't tell which trees they will cut your scionwood so I think if they cut it from the earlier accession then you have the good one from what I can tell.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2022, 05:49:51 PM »
I got my Shiranui in 2014, and planted it in the ground on Christmas eve of that year, so it is now 7 years  old as of  last Christmas.  This years crop had both fruit with the neck and some without the neck.  Both fruits taste the same.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2022, 05:56:09 PM »
Millet, was your tree from Harris?

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2022, 11:01:58 PM »

I actually plucked them out related to tree still to small to fruit. I bought 2 trees for myself.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2022, 11:12:49 PM »
Yes, that's a good idea. Your tree is to small, it you let it hang until ripe then the tree won't grow much by next season and it may not have any fruits either.

Your green sumo fruits look good.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 11:14:57 PM by sc4001992 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 11:26:00 AM »
SC400, yes my tree was from Harris

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2022, 12:02:04 PM »
Interesting. Our UCR CCPP budwood program did not release any budwood until 2017. I guess Harris and other florida nurseries had the Shiranui variety much earlier than here in CA. I did see some Shiranui fruits and plants from Harris and it seemed to me that the variety did not look to be as vigorous growing as the ones from the UCR CCPP source.

But the taste of the Shiranui was very good, no real difference in taste from the ones sold in grocery stores.