Author Topic: I need help determining a mandarin variety  (Read 2752 times)

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
I need help determining a mandarin variety
« on: January 01, 2023, 05:06:09 AM »
A friend in Lafayette has the best Satsuma mandarins I have ever had. The trees are quite large. He bought them from Home Depot at least a couple of decades ago. They are very sweet and the fruit is ready in January. The skin completely separates from the fruit when ripe. It is definitely able to survive freezes.

Anyone have any idea what variety this could be? Or another worth trying? There are so many varieties at my local nurseries I don't even know where to begin to try to get the same one.

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
Re: I need help determining a mandarin variety
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 10:08:22 AM »
Probably an Owari, but not sure.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 01:07:04 PM »

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 01:07:54 PM »
Thank you. That's one I was thinking to get, so I'll pick one up and try it out. I've got room for a couple of types, so hopefully others chime in with guesses.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 04:07:42 PM »
Thank you. That's one I was thinking to get, so I'll pick one up and try it out. I've got room for a couple of types, so hopefully others chime in with guesses.

Hi Rispa,

If you don't mind my asking, where are you going to get one and do you have any concerns about buying a tree infected with HLB?

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 09:05:17 PM »

Hi Rispa,

If you don't mind my asking, where are you going to get one and do you have any concerns about buying a tree infected with HLB?
I have no concerns because I'm getting mine from a local nursery. So far as I'm aware the disease isn't here yet. They have about 10 varieties in spring, so there's a good chance they'll have any varieties people suggest here.

There are two nurseries, JRN and JRN2 that are my go toes. There is another farther away with good varieties called Arbor Gate. Nature's Grower Nursery has less variety, but sometimes gets oddball varieties of other plants, so I'll check them out too. There might be one or two more nurseries with checking out, but those that I listed always have what I'm looking for and more.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 09:06:53 PM »
Excellent! Good luck finding what you want.  :D

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 10:12:22 PM »
Your owari must be on the right rootstock for great flavor.  The tree also must age a good few years before it will produce excellent fruit.  It should do well on PT or FD.  Seville sour is great if it is compatible.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 10:50:40 PM »
Your owari must be on the right rootstock for great flavor.  The tree also must age a good few years before it will produce excellent fruit.  It should do well on PT or FD.  Seville sour is great if it is compatible.
Thanks. When I go next I'll see what they are on. Most of what I see here is on trifoliate.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 11:14:59 PM »
PT is  trifoliate  BUY it.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 11:39:03 PM »
Oh, then what does p stand for?

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 10:23:42 AM »
P stands for Poncirus

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 11:40:43 AM »
Um, I am in Houston as well and had a large grapefruit and blood orange diagnosed with HLB by Texas A&M a couple of years ago.  Harris County is in the quarantine zone for greening and while the trees you buy may not have the disease the Asian psyllid is here and can infect your tree as it did mine.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 01:30:20 PM »
Um, I am in Houston as well and had a large grapefruit and blood orange diagnosed with HLB by Texas A&M a couple of years ago.  Harris County is in the quarantine zone for greening and while the trees you buy may not have the disease the Asian psyllid is here and can infect your tree as it did mine.
Thanks for the info. That's really heart breaking to hear.

mar3

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 02:31:44 PM »
The other candidate that would've been readily available at that location two decades ago would be Brown Select. But you said it ripened in January, so it was likely Owari.

You've mentioned having room for more. I'd try to spread out the harvest periods with something like Miho and Early St. Anne.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2023, 08:41:16 PM »
The other candidate that would've been readily available at that location two decades ago would be Brown Select. But you said it ripened in January, so it was likely Owari.

You've mentioned having room for more. I'd try to spread out the harvest periods with something like Miho and Early St. Anne.
Thank you. Yeah I would love to have a long harvest. So you're thinking Owari, Brown, Miho, and Early St. Anne would give me the best harvest?

mar3

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2023, 10:06:03 PM »
Generally you can harvest Early St. Anne from September to mid October, Miho and Brown Select from October to November, and Owari from late November/December to first freeze.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2023, 02:45:30 AM »
Generally you can harvest Early St. Anne from September to mid October, Miho and Brown Select from October to November, and Owari from late November/December to first freeze.
Perfect. I'll plan to get all of them 😊 thank you!

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2023, 03:37:11 PM »

Additionally, "FD" is Flying Dragon, which is a dwarfed variety of poncirus trifoliata. So both are poncirus, it's just PT is straight-species and FD is a varietal.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2023, 05:54:53 PM »

Additionally, "FD" is Flying Dragon, which is a dwarfed variety of poncirus trifoliata. So both are poncirus, it's just PT is straight-species and FD is a varietal.
Thanks for the clarification. I suspected FD was flying dragon, the dwarfing root stock, but didn't know it's also trifoliate. Is there a way to tell if a plant accidentally got put on dwarfing rootstock? I wonder about my Cara cara

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2023, 06:30:54 PM »
Your Cara Cara should have had a variety/rootstock tag on it when you purchased it.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 02:33:47 AM »
Your Cara Cara should have had a variety/rootstock tag on it when you purchased it.
It should be trifoliate like the rest, but it is super slow growing.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2023, 06:48:47 PM »

Do you happen to have info for Japanese plums too? Like what combination of low chill plants allow you to have the longest fruit season.

celinedion

• Cleveland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2023, 05:22:32 AM »
A friend in Lafayette has the best Satsuma mandarins I have ever had. The trees are quite large. He bought them from Home Depot at least a couple of decades ago. They are very sweet and the fruit is ready in January. The skin completely separates from the fruit when ripe. It is definitely able to survive freezes.
Anyone have any idea what variety this could be? Or another worth trying? There are so many varieties at my local nurseries I don't even know where to begin to try to get the same one.

Maybe Miho Satsuma: Miho Satsuma is a popular variety that produces sweet and juicy fruit. It ripens around January and has a reputation for being cold and hardy.