Author Topic: Looking for Dioscorea species  (Read 1287 times)

allspark

• Zone 7
    • View Profile
Looking for Dioscorea species
« on: December 06, 2020, 07:48:34 PM »
Hello all, I grow different species of yams. I had to move from my house into an apartment two years ago and I lot a lot of varieties. I am looking to replace my lost varieties and also get some new ones. Primarily interested in edible species, but like Diosocrea in general. I live in the United States.

Dioscorea bulbifera. Purple Air Potato from Sapian. I grew this for a couple of years. Have had a hard time getting it again.

Dioscorea bulbifera Australian cheeky yam. Never got a hold of this one, and not sure how different it is from the other d. bulbifera, but would like to grow it.

Any other edible Dioscorea bulbifera cultivars. Air Potatos. I have a variety that was called "Hawaii" by the seller. It doesn't do well for me and is mostly sad. I would like to try a different variety.

Diocorea transversa. Pencil Yam, another from Australia. The seed seller on ebay doesn't ship to the United States any more and it got too cold in the move so it died.

Dioscorea altissima. Dunguey. From South America. I had seeds from this that sprouted. But the plants didn't grow large and I could never identify the species beyond what the seller said it was.

Diosocrea pseudo-tomentosa. Purchased this years ago from a seller in Thailand. Once again, could have been another species.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 07:57:06 PM by allspark »

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Dioscorea species
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 01:26:54 PM »
Member here named Caesar has a few varieties he could possibly help you out with. I've got some D. alata regular white variety that grows vigorously here in FL. The type that puts on lots of aerial bulbs not the store bought D. alata called "name" that doesn't make bulbils. Have the purple alata too but never puts on any bulbils. Think once again my D. polystachys may have died out. Will need some more bulbils for that species if anyone has some. Have a D. bulbifera species that's supposed to be edible. Have yet to try it but came from Caesar so I assume it truly is edible. Don't think he'd sell inedible types. However it looks damn near identical to the inedible bulbifera that grows wild all over FL. Not angular bulbils or anything like some edible types have. Didn't set any bulbils this year unfortunately but it is still potted which isn't ideal either.
Trying to grow it all!

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 02:32:39 PM »
Forgot to mention I'm in the market too for any cultivars of Dioscorea species that are edible. If you have some for sale hit me up!
Trying to grow it all!

Terranova

• Colombia and amazon forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 01:16:13 PM »
Hello
I have purple and white dioscorea
We called mapuey

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 02:07:44 PM by Terranova »

Terranova

• Colombia and amazon forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 02:12:46 PM »
And other dioscoreas too

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 07:21:01 AM »
Definitely an interesting shape to the leaves of that Dioscorea. Definitely interested in that! What others do you have and do you have pics of those as well?
Trying to grow it all!