Author Topic: Persimmons  (Read 551 times)

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
Persimmons
« on: January 27, 2023, 02:35:54 PM »
Hi
Have a fuyu type and it fruits every other year.  Is there a way to make it fruit every year?  possibly by grafting another fuyu scion on to it??
Thanks
Bob

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Persimmons
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 03:10:52 PM »
Yes, I agree with you, probably the best is to graft multiple fuyu branches and then don't all the fruits hang ripe on the tree so long. I see similar issues sometimes with the fuyu if you let the fruits hang until they start dropping off the tree. I had a navel orange do the same to me. It had 70 normal size fruits on my large in ground tree (with 2 grafts of navel). I did not pick all the fruits soon enough since I wanted to get a photo of all my fruits ripe at the same time. Now this year it only had a handful of fruits. Here's my tree with all the fruits which I let hang to long. The fuyu tree had about half the number of fruits shown in the photo this year.

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 04:08:21 PM »
Hi
Have a fuyu type and it fruits every other year.  Is there a way to make it fruit every year?  possibly by grafting another fuyu scion on to it??
Thanks
Bob

I would plant more trees if you have the space

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 09:53:22 PM »
I had the same problem and planted another tree. Sometines one  will bloom at the same time as the other but not often. 
Regards,

Gary

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 10:20:44 PM »
With that much fruit it's no wonder the tree doesn't bear the next year. The way to solve alternate bearing is to thin the fruit. That also often results in higher quality of the fruit that remains after thinning.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 05:24:28 AM »
With that much fruit it's no wonder the tree doesn't bear the next year. The way to solve alternate bearing is to thin the fruit. That also often results in higher quality of the fruit that remains after thinning.

I was just going to say the same, alternate fruiting is what happens when a tree has a load of fruit one year, and none or a small quantity the next. Just thin the fruit as fruitnut suggested, that will brake the cicle.