Author Topic: Tasting my first feijoa (acca sellowiana)!  (Read 12655 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Tasting my first feijoa (acca sellowiana)!
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »
I have had for years Mammoth and Triumph in addition to Coolidge and Coolidge Improved, and several of the Edenvale cultivars.  All are grafted and grow with little care, producing great quantities of fruit.  It is my understanding that Triumph and Mammoth are commercial varieties in New Zealand that were originally selected by Edenvale Farms in CA.  The history behind the development and selection of feijoa is lost to time.  Both Mammoth and Triumph are large, tasty, with no perfume.  If left laying on the ground too long, feijoa will become perfume-like and less tasty than when fresh.  A slight softness is ideal, too much and it becomes compost.

Cultivar list:  http://feijoafeijoa.wordpress.com/cultivars/

Thanks Jack, in the case of my trees obtained from seed ideal flavor is achieved after 3 days of the fruit fall.

I'd love to get a named cultivar feijoa, but here in Argentina is impossible, so that the only thing left is for someone to send me a branch one day and grafting.

Impossible? You are not that far from Southern Brazil, and so many Argentinians vacation in S. Brazil. I don't see why it's impossible?
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
Thank's Jack, for posting cultivar list quite a few named varieties!

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »
I have had for years Mammoth and Triumph in addition to Coolidge and Coolidge Improved, and several of the Edenvale cultivars.  All are grafted and grow with little care, producing great quantities of fruit.  It is my understanding that Triumph and Mammoth are commercial varieties in New Zealand that were originally selected by Edenvale Farms in CA.  The history behind the development and selection of feijoa is lost to time.  Both Mammoth and Triumph are large, tasty, with no perfume.  If left laying on the ground too long, feijoa will become perfume-like and less tasty than when fresh.  A slight softness is ideal, too much and it becomes compost.

Cultivar list:  http://feijoafeijoa.wordpress.com/cultivars/

Thanks Jack, in the case of my trees obtained from seed ideal flavor is achieved after 3 days of the fruit fall.

I'd love to get a named cultivar feijoa, but here in Argentina is impossible, so that the only thing left is for someone to send me a branch one day and grafting.

Impossible? You are not that far from Southern Brazil, and so many Argentinians vacation in S. Brazil. I don't see why it's impossible?

Well, 1500km to the border; but some day I could travel :D
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk