Author Topic: Flying Dragon plant  (Read 1502 times)

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
Flying Dragon plant
« on: November 21, 2021, 03:27:04 PM »
Anyone selling Flying Dragon plants?

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Flying Dragon plant
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 03:43:30 AM »
What size you looking for, and where you need them shipped?  Ton of sources out there, but maybe I can help.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 02:46:21 PM »
Tried messaging him and didn't respond, wanted to know if his flying dragon was true to seed or zygotic

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 09:39:21 AM »
Tried messaging him and didn't respond, wanted to know if his flying dragon was true to seed or zygotic

Most FD are true, or mostly true to seed. Mine were seed grown of 6 years and fruit stands true.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 02:53:02 PM »
Yeah I think roughly 75% FD seeds grow true, the ones that are not can be easily identified early on

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 06:36:06 PM »
Lazz has precipitous poncirus. I believe Georgia grown citrus has high-quality poncirus rootstock.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 09:00:42 PM »
Laaz's trifoliate is indeed fast flowering, though it isn't contorted like flying dragon so you likely won't get the flying dragon amount of dwarfing effect if you are expecting that.  It grows like normal poncirus as far as I can tell

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 11:18:40 PM »
Personally, I would prefer trees on other things than FD. I’ve found a semi-dwarf such as C-35 or Standard Trifoliate, or even US-942 are much better choices, even in containers. FD in containers tends to grow about 1.5ft and non stop fruit, rarely putting on any other foliage. So leaving the tree rather bare and to struggle a lot. Just my personal preference though. Trees on FD rootstock just grow so awfully slow!

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 12:48:17 AM »
Frank, if you are growing in containers I agree with you that FD might be too dwarfing.  However, when I planted trees on c-35 and other unknown rootstocks in the ground they became extremely vigorous, growing easily 3x as fast as they did in their containers.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »
Frank, if you are growing in containers I agree with you that FD might be too dwarfing.  However, when I planted trees on c-35 and other unknown rootstocks in the ground they became extremely vigorous, growing easily 3x as fast as they did in their containers.

I feel the rhizosphere has a large impact on this! It would make sense that they'd be a lot better in ground. Overall though, I think C-35 is one of the best for containers. FD is good for kumquats, as they are happy small and can hold lots of fruit at their small size.