Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Root pruning pots for figs?

(1/3) > >>

Triloba Tracker:
I've read multiple places that figs "like to have their roots constricted" or something to that effect.

So it makes me wonder how a potted fig would do in either a superroots type of air pruning pot, or a pot treated with spin-out or microkote.

Does anyone have any direct experience growing a fig in a pot like this?

I currently have a Negronne/Violette de Bordeaux fig in a regular ol' pot (with gritty mix) and it seems to be perfectly happy, but after last growing season it had considerable amount of circling roots in the pot. Wonder if it would've been more vigorous in a root-pruning pot...

nullzero:
I grow a lot of figs in superoots. The figs adapt well to them.

Triloba Tracker:

--- Quote from: nullzero on February 28, 2015, 01:09:24 AM ---I grow a lot of figs in superoots. The figs adapt well to them.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! Have you been able to compare with conventional pots to determine if they do better in Superoots?

fyliu:
good idea. I'll try it this year. These holey pots need to be a certain size to do well. Small ones just dry out too fast. 3 gallon is probably the minimun. Anything less I have to frequently monitor for dryness.

Doglips:

--- Quote from: nullzero on February 28, 2015, 01:09:24 AM ---I grow a lot of figs in superoots. The figs adapt well to them.

--- End quote ---
I think figs would fruit on the moon.  Pretty bulletproof.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version