Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Pawpaws starting to flower

(1/3) > >>

TriangleJohn:
Before a hard freeze this weekend I thought I would run out and snap a few photos of the pawpaws in bloom. These are seedling trees collected from fruit grown by a researcher. The parents were all named cultivars but the seedlings are all crosses. Last year was the first time I got fruit off of any of them. Some were large, some were small, all were tasty. Looks like a heavy bloom this year but I don't know how the 26 degrees this weekend will affect them.

FlyingFoxFruits:
nice pics!  hope u get lots of fruits...u gonna try your hand at hand pollinating?

TriangleJohn:
I got plenty of fruit last year without hand pollinating so I won't be doing it this year. There seems to be a lot of pollinating flies and bees around when it warms up during the day (my yard is weedy). I don't know how the cold temps will affect the blossoms, they are now saying it will get into the low 20's tonight. All I can do is wait and see.

Bob407:
I think the flowers will be just fine, I could be wrong. While roaming around Tennessee in December I found a few trees pushing flowers and the temp was bouncing around from high 20s to high 30s.

FlyingFoxFruits:

--- Quote from: TriangleJohn on March 28, 2015, 10:25:36 AM ---I got plenty of fruit last year without hand pollinating so I won't be doing it this year. There seems to be a lot of pollinating flies and bees around when it warms up during the day (my yard is weedy). I don't know how the cold temps will affect the blossoms, they are now saying it will get into the low 20's tonight. All I can do is wait and see.

--- End quote ---

ok good to hear u get lots of fruits without having to worry about pollination!
good luck with the cold! I will pray for you and your poor man's bananas!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version