Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Feijoa in NJ zone 7a

<< < (10/10)

vnomonee:
Update: Fruit is mature.

I went to check the fruit today Nov 19th, gave each of them a gentle shake and they popped off cleanly! Would have dropped on their own probably in a couple of days. There were a couple even smaller ones that would not come off the tree so those will not mature in time. Because of the upcoming deep freeze I didn't want to risk damaged fruit if the protection was not sufficient.  I cut open one of the mature ones while still hard, there was clear jelly inside and fully developed seeds, flavor was slightly sweet but mostly sour. I ate the skin too and enjoyed it. At this stage it reminded me of an unripe/hard tropical guava (green skin white fleshed variety) but with better flavor.

I believe I have two different varieties based on the texture of the fruit the 2nd row from the other bush shows more pebbled skin. I did cross and self pollinate but forgot to label which ones were crossed I assume bigger ones are crossed.

I will leave these on the counter until they get soft and post a picture of the interior.

Pokeweed:
We have 3 fiejoas in the ground that endured 9°F for close to 4 days with steady 15 or so mph wind most of the time. No damage. They are tough. D

vnomonee:
Good to hear that they can take multiple days below freezing in the single digits. Did they flower and fruit after that 9f winter? 

--- Quote from: Pokeweed on November 20, 2022, 08:13:13 AM ---We have 3 fiejoas in the ground that endured 9°F for close to 4 days with steady 15 or so mph wind most of the time. No damage. They are tough. D

--- End quote ---

vnomonee:
Waitied until fragrant, about 3 days since picked. Opened a softer one this morning, the outside of the fruit smells medicinal and almost like mothballs or some kind of cleaner it's a familiar scent? Tried the inside jelly with the flesh, sweet and floral. Tried the whole fruit with the skin, very nice sour and sweet combo. I don't mind the skin at all atleast on whatever this variety is it's good. So while I did pick them before they dropped off the bushes, they were mature enough that they are able to ripen inside after a few days.

Freshly cut. Are they supposed to be more yellow? It did turn a little yellow after oxidizing. 

Gave another ripe one to my father who hasn't had a feijoa in 50 years since leaving Uruguay, he enjoyed it!

Last update:

Another ripe one. My ambient temps in the kitchen are in the 60s so they have lasted pretty long. This one is 8 days from picking and no signs of rot. It was soft and sweet.
More yellow inside:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version