Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

New Zealand Lemonade polyembryonic?

(1/2) > >>

martweb:
Is NZL mono- or polyembryonic?

Millet:
I do not know about NZL exactly whether it is mono or polyembryonic  but I can say this> Almost all lemons and pure mandarins are true to type from seed.  NZL is a  cross between a lemon and a mandarin.

JSea:
It's at least sometimes polyembryonic (I have a few sprouts coming from one seed right now). The seeds are not very plump (relatively good sign as to whether a Citrus is highly polyembryonic). I am not aware of any seedling variation however, but then again planting Citrus from seed seems to be a very rare occurrence here so maybe hardly anyone has grown from seed.

I have a neighbour with a big tree of Lemonades, and I will ask to buy some crop and then sow the seeds, and can give a better idea of how polyembryonic it is from the seedlings.

As far as I'm aware, we don't know with certainty the other parent of the Lemonade. It could be a clementine or one of the other monoembryonic "mandarins" for example (hence higher chance for the hybrid to have formed in the first place).

DaveinNoVA:
I've heard it may have Meyer lemon in its parentage, which, of course, is not polyembryonic.  So there's that.

martweb:
Just guesses, so nobody knows for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version