Author Topic: Recommendation for water-soluble dragon fruit fertilizer  (Read 1264 times)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
Recommendation for water-soluble dragon fruit fertilizer
« on: February 07, 2023, 01:27:41 AM »
Hi

Can anyone recommend me a water-soluble organic dragon fruit fertilizer?

Thank you!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation for water-soluble dragon fruit fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 01:56:54 PM »
An expensive solution. Dragonfruits for me are some of my lowest effort plants and get the least expensive and least time intensive solutions - just gobs of slow release fertilizer and chicken manure.

If you're really set on liquid, you can use pretty much any of them, but I would choose the cheapest possible like General Hydroponics. I have tried tons of fertilizers for indoor plants of uh, various types, and there is very little difference in the end product.

The issue with liquid fertilizer is in fact you're just paying for water and the shipping thereof.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 02:51:42 PM »
An expensive solution. Dragonfruits for me are some of my lowest effort plants and get the least expensive and least time intensive solutions - just gobs of slow release fertilizer and chicken manure.

If you're really set on liquid, you can use pretty much any of them, but I would choose the cheapest possible like General Hydroponics. I have tried tons of fertilizers for indoor plants of uh, various types, and there is very little difference in the end product.

The issue with liquid fertilizer is in fact you're just paying for water and the shipping thereof.

Yes, I agree. Can always use a fish/kelp emulsion for vegetative growth which is water soluble.

OP, what are you trying to accomplish? Something to run through a drip line?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 03:49:44 PM »
Old trick for most Cacti if you can stomach it-

Urine

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 07:25:53 PM »

Yes, I agree. Can always use a fish/kelp emulsion for vegetative growth which is water soluble.

OP, what are you trying to accomplish? Something to run through a drip line?

No. I am just afraid of letting solid fertilizer touch the base of the DFs and causing them to rot, or disturbing the root system while mixing the fertilizer into the soil because they have little space in pots. So I thought, liquid fertilizer would be a safer option.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 07:30:02 PM »

Urine

Should be accomplished at night when no one is around!   ;D

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 07:34:27 PM »

I agree. Even though you buy it from the store...

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 07:40:09 PM »
No. I am just afraid of letting solid fertilizer touch the base of the DFs and causing them to rot, or disturbing the root system while mixing the fertilizer into the soil because they have little space in pots.

Ok maybe I shouldn't admit this but sometimes I put on so much slow release vigoro that I can barely see the soil anymore. There seems to be no limit to how much fertilizer they can take. I've never even seen young shoots burn from it. This said, I only apply when it is warm enough for them to grow.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 08:04:52 PM »
Ive had a similar experience K-Rimes

Someone told me once that Cacti can take really high N because (at least in theory) animals sometimes get wrapped up in cacti and die and then the rotting corpse is essentially draining onto the plant, could be an old wives tale though

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 08:10:41 PM »
as k-rimes said, most liquid fertilizers are designed for tomatoes ; ), they'll drink GALLONS of water/day in a matter of months. Anything your plant doesn't drink, stays in the soil as a salt
instagram @trumansacco

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 08:12:37 PM »
Ive had a similar experience K-Rimes

Someone told me once that Cacti can take really high N because (at least in theory) animals sometimes get wrapped up in cacti and die and then the rotting corpse is essentially draining onto the plant, could be an old wives tale though

Interesting, I heard something in a similar vein that cactus have spines because in deserts, animals will eat all the vegetation they can get and over time the only plants that didn't go extinct were the ones that didn't get grazed to death
instagram @trumansacco

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 08:13:53 PM »
No. I am just afraid of letting solid fertilizer touch the base of the DFs and causing them to rot, or disturbing the root system while mixing the fertilizer into the soil because they have little space in pots.

Ok maybe I shouldn't admit this but sometimes I put on so much slow release vigoro that I can barely see the soil anymore. There seems to be no limit to how much fertilizer they can take. I've never even seen young shoots burn from it. This said, I only apply when it is warm enough for them to grow.

Thanks K-Rimes. Which slow release vigoro do you use?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 08:20:10 PM »
I use citus avo. It's really, really cheap. I use chicken manure start of season, then switch to vigoro.

If you get rot at the base it's not a problem, just cut the flesh off. The plant will live just fine with just the spine. I have lots like this. I cut it to the spine in the middle of arms too, no problem. If it starts getting rot somewhere I do that surgery and call it a day.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 02:12:11 AM »
I also noticed that even when the base becomes just a tiny thin stick, it would still grow, I guess there has to be some cambium left. I even tried pulling thinking it would slide out but it's really stuck so the roots should be intact.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 03:11:50 PM »
Thank you all.

irun5k

• Saint Petersburg, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 09:53:45 PM »
I am just north of you, I use Dynamite 10-10-10 (red container.)  It is time release and contains micros, I've had no problem with it on my dragon fruit.  A good "from FL, for FL" product.

If you really want a water soluble, I've used Foliage Pro in the past- it has a solid reputation among container gardeners.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 10:15:51 PM »

Urine

The rich earth institute says the NPK of the average americans urine is 12-1-2

Urine

Should be accomplished at night when no one is around!   ;D

Ideally it needs to be diluted, and aged if its not your own brand.

Most places prohibit selling any produce treated with urine afaik

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 10:49:30 PM »
I also noticed that even when the base becomes just a tiny thin stick, it would still grow, I guess there has to be some cambium left. I even tried pulling thinking it would slide out but it's really stuck so the roots should be intact.

Interestingly enough, that thin stick in the middle of tbe cactus is the cambium. They are built opposite of most plants.