Author Topic: Sugar Cane Juicer  (Read 58525 times)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Cane Juicer
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 11:45:08 PM »
I can't wait to see the sugar cane jucier simon.

We should all get together with a metal fabricator and make one thats low cost and durable.

Thanks for the sugar cane thao. They were soft and great.

Had a conversation with Richard Rtreid  and I was surprised to know that there is so much information still new and still discoverable in this area.

Being that the  true internet for everyone has only been around for 15 years.

I'm glad I'm on this forum. So much exciting cutting edge stuff happening here on tropicalf fruit.
Thanks Mike and your welcome, if you would like to try more of the green ones, you said you liked. I have a lot more and can send another, just let me know.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
Does anyone have some good starter canes for trade? I would love to grow some tasty and juicy sugar cane.
Null,

I have the black/purple/red kind from this post http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2233.msg105080#msg105080
towards the middle of the page under my user name. Also have a bluish grey green kind, but i don't know why I can't upload picture at the moment. Will, later, when i can upload it. If interested, PM me and I can get you a few segments or a box to try some and grow the rest?

Thao,

I will pm you.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
The subject of this thread is about the sugar cane juicer but will but my question here.
Do they grow from cutting? Just like drgaon fruit cuttings?
Mike

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 04:50:57 PM »
The subject of this thread is about the sugar cane juicer but will but my question here.
Yes, cuttings/segments/pieces, tops like pineapple and off shoot/pups.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »

Picture didn't show up, so i'll just link you directly to my Flickr photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/111436229@N03/11358219135/#

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »

Picture didn't show up, so i'll just link you directly to my Flickr photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/111436229@N03/11358219135/#
Null,
That's the blue,grey and green one, I was talking about. You're getting both that kind and the purple one from that other post.

Anyone else having trouble posting pictures with the add image and from their personal album.....no, just me? I've always posted from add image before and it was fine.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
Nice pictures, they look beautiful especially the purple one.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 05:53:21 AM »
Found another video of what looks like the simular sugar cane machine from green planet

Simon I hope you got 3 other people helping you hold the machine while you juice...lol...or some thing really heavy to bolt the machine down to.

Looks like there's going to be a whole lot of shaking going on while you use some pressure to push the sugarcane in the hole.

http://youtu.be/MpijvrOWa9o

Here's one that uses the motor.

Sounds loud and noisy

http://youtu.be/zeId2hoiJOo

Remember to count your fingers after every juice!!

I want one!!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:56:53 AM by NaturalGreenthumb »

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 07:09:46 AM »
Here are some sites in Brazil which sell hand cranked, and motorized sugar cane juicers: One USD = Aprox 2.40 Reais
The hand cranked ones last  almost a lifetime You drink the juice to replenish the energy you loose in cranking !!!

http://96precos.com.br/Engenho%20Cana?p=gcb&gclid=CLui35PSr7sCFUgS7AodanYAig
http://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/ENGENHO-PARA-CANA
http://translate.google.com.br/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.buscape.com.br/moenda-de-cana.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dengenho%2Bpara%2B

This company sells models which you can adapt a motor also:
Moenda de cana e caldo de cana

www.uniutilidades.com.br
                                                           Good Luck
                                                                                           mangaba

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
Here are some sites in Brazil which sell hand cranked, and motorized sugar cane juicers: One USD = Aprox 2.40 Reais
The hand cranked ones last  almost a lifetime You drink the juice to replenish the energy you loose in cranking !!!

http://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/ENGENHO-PARA-CANA
http://translate.google.com.br/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.buscape.com.br/moenda-de-cana.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dengenho%2Bpara%2B. . . .
I've been looking at the manual juicers in your first two links for some time.  They are also being sold on Amazon.com but no reviews even after being sold for several months.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00DQBCU8K/

The company's website offers more detail (& free shipping):
http://www.sugarcanemarket.com/Sugar_Cane_Mill_p/b-60.htm

Other than finding absolutely zero reviews on the web, my main concern with this unit is whether it is made from a rust-resistant metal.  I'm waiting for some feedback but I'm ready to buy.

Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

mangaba

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
Here in Recife, northeast Brazil  there are many  hardware stores selling all sorts of sugar cane juicers!  The hand cranking ones are all made of cast iron  and are more popular for small scale juice production. Among the motorized ones you can get some models with stainless steel rollers. If you have any questions feel free to write. Although I am not in this business, will be glad to find it for you.
 Most of these juicers are manufactured in the state of São Paulo, some 2000 Km south.
                                                     warm regards
                                                                                    mangaba

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 09:18:11 PM »
LOoks like the currency conversion is $1= 2.33BRL

The machine cost is about 108,90 BRL is about $50

Any one from brazil have any information as to shipping to u.s.a and or has used one of these or has seen one of these out in the market in person?

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:21:53 PM by NaturalGreenthumb »

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 12:55:03 AM »
Besides the concerns members of the forum have mentioned (cost, durability, ease of use, rust), I would like to know how easy it is to keep the presses (manual or motorized) clean.  It is one thing for the juice vendors to do since the presses are used multiple times before they are cleaned for the day to be reused the next business day.  However, for me as a backyard sugarcane enthusiast with less use of these presses, is it worth it to make a delicious cup of fresh sugarcane juice only to spend a lot of time cleaning the press?  Just a thought.  For the record, I would love to get one of the presses to get fresh sugarcane juice.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 04:11:23 AM »
Besides the concerns members of the forum have mentioned (cost, durability, ease of use, rust), I would like to know how easy it is to keep the presses (manual or motorized) clean.  It is one thing for the juice vendors to do since the presses are used multiple times before they are cleaned for the day to be reused the next business day.  However, for me as a backyard sugarcane enthusiast with less use of these presses, is it worth it to make a delicious cup of fresh sugarcane juice only to spend a lot of time cleaning the press?  Just a thought.  For the record, I would love to get one of the presses to get fresh sugarcane juice.
Yes you hit the point!
Mike

mangaba

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »
I live in northeast of Brazil where sugar cane is planted and processed in sugar mills. The sugarcane variety for making sugar is different that for making  fresh juice . Fresh sugar cane juice is sold in stalls /shops along the roads and markets. Most of these juicers are powered by  small  diesel or eletric motors. The hand cranking juicer is more for small domestic use. No big maintenance needed except a good wash after use. As most of the hand cranking units are of cast iron, without daily use they pick up rust due to the wet tropical weather.
           Person interested in purchasing is advised to send an email  (can be in english) to supplier,  enquiring cost of equipment, packing and shipping charges.  Companies ship by Express Post (called SEDEX in Brazil), DHL  and Federal Express . Another option is to enquire with the supplier if they have a representative in the States and contact the representative.
           Remember that the cost of shipping  from Brazil , will be more than the cost of the  hand cranked juicer which is quite heavy as it is of cast iron.                               
                                                                       mangaba

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2013, 05:38:51 PM »
That's cheaper than the one NaturalGreenThumb found! The other one looked similar and was $180 and the cheapest shipping was about $200 so came out to a total of $380.00. The sites do mention that there may be additional taxes. If anyone purchased one of the cheaper ones, please keep us updated. I'd still rather deal with a seller from the US even though the international sellers have good return policies from what I've seen. I should get my juicer this Wednesday and I should put it together by Thursday. I already bought some grease for the gears but I won't be able to build a stand for my juicer until next week.

The juicers should be cleaned immediately after each use and gears have to be greased if you want it to last. The unit I purchased from Green Planet Farm weighs about 65 pounds and really looks industrial strength, you can add a motor to it but that voids the warranty.
Simon

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
How about this one?

http://youtu.be/4PW9pMyIsnM

Anyone with any info?

That was insanely delicious looking. I like all the thought out parts to this machine. Although, it still looks somewhat primitive. It's hard to believe that there isn't a more modern looking, easy to clean and operate machine. Nevertheless, I've got to get me a sugar cane juicer.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 11:16:24 PM »
Simon if I may I would like to examine your sugar cane machine when you get a chance to play with it. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:05:05 PM by NaturalGreenthumb »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »
Hey Mike,

Please come by and check out the juicer.  I'll post here or text you when I get it in. I plan on giving it a test run this Thursday around noon, will you be able to make it?

If anyone else on this forum wants to come check out the juicer please feel free to pm me and I can give you the details. Please bring some cane if you have any!
Simon

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »
I would think food grade metal would almost be a must (high nickel content).  If you do get one made from iron, I'd recommend seasoning the parts, coat with oil and bake in the oven.  The parts will black and not pretty, but it should give you some rust resistance.  You still need to clean and dry thoroughly.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 07:01:36 PM »
I would think food grade metal would almost be a must (high nickel content).  If you do get one made from iron, I'd recommend seasoning the parts, coat with oil and bake in the oven.  The parts will black and not pretty, but it should give you some rust resistance.  You still need to clean and dry thoroughly.
So like for seasoning cast iron pans :D

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
So like for seasoning cast iron pans :D

Exactly.

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »
What's this about seasoning the parts? What the hell is that?

My mind was focusing more on how lead will be in the metal and the parts.

Drinking sugar cane juice to be healthy  but die of lead poisoning.

But then again isn't there lead in everything.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »
What's this about seasoning the parts? What the hell is that?

My mind was focusing more on how lead will be in the metal and the parts.

Drinking sugar cane juice to be healthy  but die of lead poisoning.

But then again isn't there lead in everything.

Cast iron pans/pots, cookware, or other items made of iron, should be season, so they don't rust. Seasoning the iron metal, will also cause a non stick surface. So, if the iron parts of a sugar cane juicer was season, it will last longer and not corrode over time. Cast iron pans/cookware, that is well season, can last forever and is pretty much indestructible. Rusty iron metal or any kind of metal, that is rusted, is going to break more easily over time. Doglips, might know more about this though?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:48:39 PM by thao »