Author Topic: Sumo/Dekopon Available in Supermarkets  (Read 3654 times)

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
Sumo/Dekopon Available in Supermarkets
« on: January 21, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
The season is here. Saw cases of 7 Sumo(Dekopon) for sale at Wegman's for 13.99 as well as pre-peeled plastic containers of them for 4.98 a lb. Thought I'd pass that along.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Sumo/Dekopon Available in Supermarkets
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
The Dekopons on my tree look ready, but I'm waiting until February before picking.  I've read that leaving them on until February they develop more sugars.  I have eaten some from time to time, and as they age on the tree they have become better.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 12:30:35 AM »
Yes, I made the mistake this year of picking my Valentine pummelo before reading up on the picking time. Not much red and not very sweet, but still good flavor.

The first year we had Sumo fruit for sale in California a lot of us purchased some and some CRFG chapters got fruit donated by supermarkets for tasting. They were all sour and terrible. The next year was terrible too and I stopped buying them from stores after that. I just thought I'd warn you about high expectations. I'll still try to grow one to see how good they can be.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:39:24 AM »
Sumo available in local Whole Foods here as well.
- Rob

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:19:45 AM »
We've had sumo fruit in the Fresh Market since about the second week of January. I bought one and it was pretty good. I'd have to say 'meaty'. Still not the best citrus I've ever had but better than many. Better than or as good as the few sumos I've had. Enormous and expensive. Each section was a mouth full. First year they were mostly in February I believe. I think this is the third year available in central alabama.

The lack of consistent taste still amazes me across the board for citrus and other fruits. Also vegetables and meat vary from day to day and year to year. Some might be my taste but not to the extent I've noticed since I've 'grown up' !

Several Xie Shan, several Browns Select and Kishu are the best ever, few and far apart !

Tom
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:10:27 PM by Tom »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:39:26 AM »
In Japan after Dekopon is picked it is stored for 60 days at constant temperature to sweeten up the fruit and lower the acidity.  Evidently in the USA the growers are not interested in do so, as Dekopon is available in the stores in January.  I seen for the first time Dekopon for sale in the supermarkets in Denver, i did not buy one as the fruit had the appearance of being dry and old looking.  Anyway I have my own Dekopon tree. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
We've had sumo fruit in the Fresh Market since about the second week of January. I bought one and it was pretty good. I'd have to say 'meaty'. Still not the best citrus I've ever had but better than many. Better than or as good as the few sumos I've had. Enormous and expensive. Each section was a mouth full. First year they were mostly in February I believe. I think this is the third year available in central alabama.

The lack of consistent taste still amazes me across the board for citrus and other fruits. Also vegetables and meat vary from day to day and year to year. Some might be my taste but not to the extent I've noticed since I've 'grown up' !

Several Xie Shan, several Browns Select and Kishu are the best ever, few and far apart !

Tom

Tom

Did they have the origin on the sticker or a sign at the store?  The Sumos I get from Cali are never huge.  The are customarily a uniform medium sized fruit. The ones I got at whole foods were medium sixed and you could see from the box they were from California.

I have gotten Florida grown Shiranui,  sign said Florida Sumo and sticker I believe said Shiranui,  that were huge, at least a pound each.  Never seen them anywhere near that size coming from California.
- Rob

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »
I just ate a Sumo from 'Fresh Market'    It is almost too sweet.  There were some seeds in it. Do they come true from seed? I'll start them regardless.

I have a small dekopan in the yard (from Harris citrus).  It is an experiment.  Too small to produce fruit yet and seems to have stalled out on its growth rate. 

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »
Yes, I made the mistake this year of picking my Valentine pummelo before reading up on the picking time. Not much red and not very sweet, but still good flavor.

The first year we had Sumo fruit for sale in California a lot of us purchased some and some CRFG chapters got fruit donated by supermarkets for tasting. They were all sour and terrible. The next year was terrible too and I stopped buying them from stores after that. I just thought I'd warn you about high expectations. I'll still try to grow one to see how good they can be.
Fang
Where can I buy sumo tree?
Frank

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »
Tomorrow is Dekopon Day (February 1st.)   Dekopons should be held on the tree until the first day of February to let the fruit sweeten up.  I've been waiting.   My tree is just two years old, so I'll take that in to account when I begin eating them.  On two of the fruit, I am going to follow the Japanese method of warping them in cellophane and storing them for 60 days to let the acid content decrease.  The rest I am going to eat. Stay tuned.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 03:01:49 PM »
Fang
Frank
It's not available in CA yet as far as I know. CCPP budwood seems to be backed up because they provide them to nurseries first. So I guess we should see them in nurseries soon.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »
Bob, I need to get a couple bud sticks from you this spring.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »

Fang
Frank
Try the Harris citrus.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »
My wife and I had a couple Dekopons for an evening snack.  They were surprisingly good for a two year old tree's first crop.  The sugar content was a little higher then most citrus varieties, and the acid content was just a fraction higher then I would want.  The Japanese lower the acid content by wrapping the fruit in cellophane for 60 days.  On a scale from 1 to 10 I would rate this first crop at a 6.5.   As with most citrus varieties,  as the tree nears 5 years of age, the fruit gets better and better.  For a two year old tree just starting to give fruit, they were wonderful. I should add, the fruit produced were really quite large, a little larger that a good sized Navel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk