Author Topic: Peak of the season fruit tasting event  (Read 4804 times)

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
Peak of the season fruit tasting event
« on: May 23, 2023, 01:11:51 PM »
What- Peak of the season fruit tasting event
Where- Starbucks 1001 Tamiami Trail, Punta Gorda, FL 33950
When- 11 am to 2pm Saturday, July 1st
Sample many types of mango and other tropical fruit. Bring your own fruit or make a donation to make it happen. Since our local fruit production was impacted, Eke Pono will be traveling the state buying the best fruit he can find. He will be doing some overnight travel and thus whatever you can contribute will help. All contributions will be directed to him.
Starbucks has been very hospitable for past events and has been generous enough to commit to hosting up to 50 people. Please reach out to me to let me know if you are attending. We will try to have some premium mango like Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet for you to try.
If you want to bring some fruit to sell or trade, that is encouraged as well. If you have any questions or want to confirm as a vendor or attendee, please message me, and will update and post an attendee list. Thank you.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Peak of the season fruit tasting event
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 09:39:04 PM »
I can come this year as not selling fruit this year.Kinda like cars and coffee but with fruit.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 10:08:02 PM »
I'll bring some mangos. Whatever is harvestable at the time. Slim pickings after the hurricane but should still have some.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 05:53:00 AM »
Since my wife's a school teacher and she'll be wanting to travel it's a possibility if we can find some decent lodging. It's a 6-hour round trip for me not quite Peak for us but possibly could bring some Bombay. I would be there more for the social aspect. I would like to meet of you fellas🙂
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 06:18:38 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 07:06:46 AM »
Actually if you can turn this into an annual event. Maybe get a community center from Parks and Rec I'll talk to some folks up here and a few over on the coast. One of them has a mystery machine that might be interested and in the near future I'm buying a conversion van. Punta Gorda seems like a good Midway point on the Gulf Coast

If I stretch the truth and tell him that the Bed Bath & Beyond in the mall has a pickleball court he'll be in for sure.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 07:27:13 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 09:03:27 AM »
Super!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 12:44:04 PM »
We'll go to this. Might have Pickerings; if not, will donate.

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 08:26:48 AM »
oh man. I already planned my vacation during that time.
I like the idea of making this an annual event. If I may suggest, public beaches from Siesta Key to Englewood have nice pavilions that can accommodate quite a good number of people. Could be alternatives to Starbucks.
Tom

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 09:27:12 AM »
Found a nice place to stay in Punta Gorda with swimming pool on roof  Wyvern Hotel :)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 10:09:39 AM by bovine421 »

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 10:59:37 AM »
yes its a fantastic hotel with a sunset view of the harbor- a spectacular bar with a view!

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2023, 03:13:31 PM »

Stop.....Check Again.... Your Kids will not be happy in the Pool.............

Renovations
The following facilities or services will be unavailable from May 10 2023 to July 31 2023 (dates subject to change):

Swimming pool

https://www.reservations.com/hotel/the-wyvern-hotel?rmcid=tophotels&utm_source=googleads&gclid=Cj0KCQjw98ujBhCgARIsAD7QeAj3o9dqVhIaZY5DYZ8luhPs2lSX8V9xITXRG7Sc7s-VanM7G8gDSQQaApYcEALw_wcB

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2023, 03:31:37 PM »
There is also the Sheraton 4 points which is an amazing property.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2023, 07:00:46 PM »
Thanks Palm City and Vincent I'll look into those other accommodations tonight but some of the feedback I'm getting is some folks would like to come but Saturdays is when they sell some of their Surplus. But I'm game I'm in

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2023, 01:25:43 PM »
Okay Vince I booked two nights at the Sheraton Four Points with a room with the balcony. So if it's just me and you we'll have a good time.🙂 I would like for a shot to try a Bombay seedling variety that I find is very unique. I have some callaloo that I was going to deliver to Pine Islander before they received the cane. They are probably still in recovery mode so I'm sure that's very low on his planting list. I may bring it and give it to you I'll check with my mother-in-law

« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 01:55:01 PM by bovine421 »

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2023, 01:29:24 PM »
cool! just spoke to my mango guy he is making a road trip and locking in mango for the upcoming event- we are going to try to find some of the finest- several people have confirmed, will be a really fun time with lots of premium fruit and relaxed atmosphere

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2023, 01:30:26 PM »
cool! just spoke to my mango guy he is making a road trip and locking in mango for the upcoming event- we are going to try to find some of the finest- several people have confirmed, will be a really fun time with lots of premium fruit and relaxed atmosphere

St Lucian callaloo

Jamaican callaloo Trinidadian ground spinach
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 01:34:40 PM by bovine421 »

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2023, 09:48:23 AM »
one month to the event- if you have any trees or fruit you want to sell, bring them!

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2023, 03:33:44 PM »
Fruit availability update:
Just secured a commitment from a premium grower (Redland area) to supply fruit! Let there be mango!

Activity update:
We can group tour a local mango farm with over 60 kinds of locally grown varieties!

CentralFLFoodForest

• 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 07:35:56 PM »
What would be a good per-person donation amount? Also, I would be bringing a group of 3 total people, is there still space for that many?

CentralFLFoodForest

• 9b
    • View Profile
Re: local mango farm tour
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 07:38:34 PM »
Ooooh! Where would this be in reference to the meeting location?

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 08:34:05 PM »
Bring mango or other fruit if you can, otherwise for 3 people $35 should work. Thank you.

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2023, 08:34:51 PM »
The mango farm is like 1.5 miles from the Starbucks.

CentralFLFoodForest

• 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 08:38:45 PM »
Awesome! Will do! :)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2023, 09:31:33 PM »
So for my girlfriend and me, it should be $23.33? My Pickerings have started ripening, so I'm doubtful any will last till July 1. Thanks!

Vincent

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2023, 09:38:06 PM »
Make it $23 and good to go!