Author Topic: The Reed avocado thread  (Read 28050 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
The Reed avocado thread
« on: April 14, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
Thought it would be a good idea to start a post on Reed avocado. There has been a lot of interest on this excellent avocado selection. Would be good to start with who is growing it? Where is it growing? When do you harvest? Any other info regarding tree habits, fruit characteristics, and fertilizing schedule.

There is a Reed avocado in ground at the rented home over here. The landlord planted it more then 5 years ago. The growth habit is compact with a height of about 8 feet. The fruit is large and round about the size of 2 Hass. Green skin when ripe. Its growing in clay sand mix in Inland Orange county CA.

Fruit is high in oils has a great smooth creamy flavor. Its great fresh in sandwich/salads, use in guacamole, and use in shakes, putting, and pies.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:18:37 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

maui guy

• hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: The Reed avocado thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »
was top quality in San Diego so thought it would do well in Hawaii. It has not!! Last year was the best with an average crop of smallish avos  This year NOT ONE.
But a chance seedling fallen next to the mother plant has an impressive number of blooms [ actual fruit set & quality yet to be determined].

I highly recommend for So Cal
rich

intel415

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »
I recently bought a 15 gallon reed ~6ft tall, and i heard its a very good variety nutty taste good flavor etc.. you name it. Its flowering like a like a mad man lol. looking forward to harvest my first reed avocado.  ;D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
I am just about to race off fishing.It is the biggest tree of avo types here and I keep mine pruned to 15 feet.I have seen grafted reeds at 40 ft.They are heavy bearers ever second year.The fruit are alot like hass is taste and do not blacken when cut.A thick skin/shell means less pest damage.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »
Any one tried it in Florida?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Ed of Somis

• Ventura Co, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »
Mine in Ventura County (Somis) is a 3 year old tree. It bears huge fruit which I pick around Aug-Oct. The fruit is lovely green, and the tree is narrow in growth pattern. The one thing to consider when choosing this variety is: it is very frost sensitive. This tree burns before Hass or any others I have.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 12:42:19 AM »
I love Reed avocados! They are large, buttery, have high oil content and the tree does not take up as large a footprint as Hass. One of the best things is that they don't oxidize as fast as most other avocado varieties. I have a small Reed here in San Diego that I planted about 7 months ago. It is only about 5 feet tall and it just finished its bloom. It is currently holding about a dozen very small fruit that I will remove this year.

I recently purchased some scions from Oscar and grafted Kahaluu avocado onto my Reed so that they can cross pollinate each other. I hear that many varieties of avocados are sensitive to salt and also require good drainage. I planted my Reed on a very small mound to help with drainage. I got about 4 nights of light frost this winter and my Reed is still hanging tough. I actually had to scrape ice off my windshield during those several nights of frost.

I hear that Reed is one of the varieties of avocados that will still set a decent amount of fruit even without another flower type around. I originally wanted to graft Sharwil onto my Reed but I just read up on Kahaluu and it is supposed to be one of the varieties with the highest oil content and is preferred by some people. I can't wait to do a comparison between Reed and Kahaluu.
Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 06:30:49 AM »
was top quality in San Diego so thought it would do well in Hawaii. It has not!! Last year was the best with an average crop of smallish avos  This year NOT ONE.
But a chance seedling fallen next to the mother plant has an impressive number of blooms [ actual fruit set & quality yet to be determined].

I highly recommend for So Cal
rich

Sad to hear Reed did not do well on Maui. :'( Are you on the dry or wet side of Maui?
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 08:51:45 PM »
Last year was the best with an average crop of smallish avos  This year NOT ONE.

.They are heavy bearers ever second year

So may i conclude that Reed avocado's only give crop every second year? And is this only for Reed or for all avocado's?

I don't know much about avocado tree's and want to learn.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 08:58:19 PM »
here is a large reed next to a holiday for comparison. I've had quite a few of my reeds and holidays drop they are 2-3 months early.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »
Last year was the best with an average crop of smallish avos  This year NOT ONE.

.They are heavy bearers ever second year

So may i conclude that Reed avocado's only give crop every second year? And is this only for Reed or for all avocado's?

I don't know much about avocado tree's and want to learn.

Yeah its bears heavy every second year. This year I only got 1 Reed... last I had about 15-20. This is from a smaller 6-7ft tall backyard tree.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 11:06:44 PM »
Reeds are more biennial than most.Thinning heavy crops and fertilizing well straight after harvest can help combat this.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
I have a tree but has not bore any fruit yet, I have it to be one of the easiest varieties of Avocado to graft never had a scion fail of Reed. Thanks for tip Mike.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
Any one tried it in Florida?

Bump.

This seems to be worth taking a look, based on the comments of TX and CA growers.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 10:27:24 AM »
I just posted this an hour ago in another avocado thread:

BTW, had our first Reed shipped from McManigle Grove, Fallbrook, last night and all we could say is OMG!  That has got to be the richest, creamiest, most nutty avocado we've ever eaten in our life.  We almost didn't get the slices to a serving plate for eating it right out of the peel with a spoon.

Mark

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 11:22:37 AM »
Reeds are awesome Avocados and they are nearing the end of the season here in San Diego. The Farmers Markets and Nijiya Market still have some but they won't be here much longer. I hear that Nabal, one of the parents of the Reed is also very good. Reed is one of the parents of the Holiday variety. Reed is a must have Avocado variety in my book.
Simon

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »
I have a Reed, Bacon and Hass trees. The Reed was the first to give flowers and fruiting but they didn't hold... but this year i have hope!  :)

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »
Anyone have any trees for sale that can deliver to CA? I'm also looking for one too. Thanks.  :D

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 02:14:57 PM »
If you're in SoCal just contact your local nursery and ask. Even have the home depot garden people order one for you. I believe they have several in their catalog.
If you're patient then get scions from this month's weekend scion exchanges and wait a few years. Use any cheap avocado for rootstock, preferably with several branches you can multigraft onto. Best if you bought the rootstock last spring and topped it so it would have grown several nice and strong branches to work with now.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 05:06:36 PM »
Excuse me, fyliu, where is this "weekend scion exchanges" going to be held at?
Do you have any more info., maybe a link?

Thanks!
Sam

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 05:12:07 PM »
samu, you can find more information on http://www.ocfruit.com/Events.html

Jan. 17th from 9:00am-11:00am our annual Greatwestern Scion Wood Exchange will be held in the Millenium Barn at the OC Fairgrounds.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »
OC will have the most avocado scions and overall scions since people from all over socal, and even a few from norcal will bring stuff there to share.

Other exchanges around LA:

Jan 25th, 10am
 - LA Chapter http://crfg-la.org/calendar.html
 - Sepulveda Garden Center, 16633 Magnolia Blvd., Encino

Feb 7, 9:30am
 - Foothill Chapter http://www.foothillcrfg.org/calendar-of-events/
 - Los Angeles County Arboretum, The Palm Room, 301 N. Baldwin Ave., Arcadia
The easiest access is straight through the Gift Shop, then down the stairs to the right in the adjacent building. You do not need to buy admission to the Arboretum to get in. Let them know you are going to the CRFG meeting.

Feb 14
 - West LA Chapter https://crfgwla.wordpress.com
 - Probably this place @ 10am: Veterans Memorial Building, Kaizuka Room, 4117 Overland Ave., Culver City 90230
Annual scion exchange and grafting demonstrations

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
Wow..., so many activities coming up in our area too!
I will definitely plan to show up, at least  to a couple of them,
trying to not get too far behind from all of you guys...  :D

Thank you socal10b and fyliu!
Sam

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 11:13:04 PM »
Several nurseries in Ca have Reed Avocado.  You can find it at Atkins nursery and Epicentre Avocado. Epicentre also has other rare and high quality avocados.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 11:15:03 PM »