Author Topic: Grumichama  (Read 43435 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Grumichama
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »
Drought tolerance is going to depend on type of soil they are in. Here they aren't very drought tolerant as lava rock doesn't hold moisture very long. I notice also that at time of flowering and fruiting they need quite a bit of water or you won't get good fruit set. Too much rain also is not good as the flowers will get pummeled.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2013, 05:25:22 AM »
A break in the rain here has allowed the grumixama to show off a bit. I counted 15 different flying pollinating insect on them the morning prior to these shots (not including ants). This is the second flowering of spring and I should get an extra 2-3 flowerings through summer and autumn. tree is kept at about 1.3m tall.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2013, 05:35:29 AM »
WOW! So beautifull photos... for me grumixama have one os the most beautifull flowers!  :)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »
A break in the rain here has allowed the grumixama to show off a bit. I counted 15 different flying pollinating insect on them the morning prior to these shots (not including ants). This is the second flowering of spring and I should get an extra 2-3 flowerings through summer and autumn. tree is kept at about 1.3m tall.

Definitely an impressive bloom.  Mine do bloom twice a year but I don't ever remember 3 times in a year.  Do yours follow definite and regular blooming seasons.  In my memory, the blooming timing on my two trees seems to vary with conditions and is not tied directly to a particular month of the year.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
I got fruit early this year.  March 18th and my bush is full of fruit.  We have had record rain the past two months which helped. 

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »
I've got my grumichama currently covered with bird netting as well.   The fruit tasted really good this morning.  Coffee and grumichama for breakfast! 

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
Hey Dave where did you get the netting? I am thinking of doing this bc last year the birds totally cleaned out my grumichama and Suriname cherry.  Mine are still green right now, so down here my season is slightly behind yours.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »
Any big box home improvement store has them. I got this one at Ace hardware.   HD and lowes has them also.  Or, get it online.   

Good luck keeping the birds off them!   The net isn't 100 percent effective but slows them down.

Grumichama ripen pretty quickly so you gotta pick them fast.   

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2014, 08:07:54 PM »

Definitely an impressive bloom.  Mine do bloom twice a year but I don't ever remember 3 times in a year.  Do yours follow definite and regular blooming seasons.  In my memory, the blooming timing on my two trees seems to vary with conditions and is not tied directly to a particular month of the year.

Yes and no. In years with average to above average rain it will just keep pumping out flushes of flowers then fruit 4-5 times over that warmer months. In dry years it will just put out 2 flower flushes. This year we got 10% of average here and it had a decent early season bloom and a light crop of average sized fruit. The second crop was light and very small and hardly worth eating. Its had sporadic fruit all summer, but they've not been good, like its been baked by the sun. So overall conditions have a factor on the crops, but micro conditions dont seem to trigger multiple crops.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »
I got fruit early this year.  March 18th and my bush is full of fruit.  We have had record rain the past two months which helped. 

How do they taste? If they have a sweet cherry like taste then I might buy one. You have a nice early pre-mango season harvest. When are they usually ripe for you?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2014, 08:41:32 PM »
They have very nice taste. Not really like a bing cherry, but as close to that as i've seen in any eugenia. It's usually rated as one of the best tasting eugenias. I think you'll like em.
PS how do you like new weather sticker as part of signature? This was one of Bangkok's idea on way to improve forum.PPS had to remove the weather sticker, but working on smaller less obnoxious version, so hopefully coming soon.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:00:49 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2014, 09:26:39 PM »
They have very nice taste. Not really like a bing cherry, but as close to that as i've seen in any eugenia. It's usually rated as one of the best tasting eugenias. I think you'll like em.
PS how do you like new weather sticker as part of signature? This was one of Bangkok's idea on way to improve forum.PPS had to remove the weather sticker, but working on smaller less obnoxious version, so hopefully coming soon.

I noticed your weather sticker! I am going to  look for one.
Thanks for the taste information on the grumichama. My last planting spaces are not optimum. Might have more shade than I like

Input you zip code  (not your town or city) here http://www.wunderground.com/stickers/classic.html?query=San%20Francisco,%20California for weather stickers.

http://fivegallonideas.com/wine-or-cider-press/   5-gallon bucket cider press

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:49:15 PM by zands »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2014, 10:07:32 PM »

I noticed your weather sticker! I am going to  look for one.
Thanks for the taste information on the grumichama. My last planting spaces are not optimum. Might have more shade than I like

Input you zip code  (not your town or city) here http://www.wunderground.com/stickers/classic.html?query=San%20Francisco,%20California for weather stickers.

http://fivegallonideas.com/wine-or-cider-press/   5-gallon bucket cider press

Murahilin is looking for a way to make the weather sticker your addy, rather than message signature. Also have them be a bit smaller so not so obnoxious. So please hold off for a while adding the stickers to your signatures. thanks,
Oscar

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
I ate another handful this morning. They taste really good. There is no objectionable off-flavors are anything.  No tartness either. The skin is edible as well. Seeds are easy to spit out.   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2014, 06:14:56 PM »
I ate another handful this morning. They taste really good. There is no objectionable off-flavors are anything.  No tartness either. The skin is edible as well. Seeds are easy to spit out.   

Their quality varies from tree to tree. I have 2 trees side by side and one has a bit of a bitter after taste and the other one doesn't.
Oscar

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2014, 02:29:07 PM »
"2 trees side by side"

I wonder if mine is grafted then. I got it from PIN.  Do they graft grumichama. I'll look for a graft line later when I'm home.

I started some from seed. They germinate very easy. Do they come true from seed?

I ate another handful this morning. They are ripening fast.   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2014, 06:25:21 PM »
"2 trees side by side"

I wonder if mine is grafted then. I got it from PIN.  Do they graft grumichama. I'll look for a graft line later when I'm home.

I started some from seed. They germinate very easy. Do they come true from seed?

I ate another handful this morning. They are ripening fast.

Grafted? I very much doubt it. Never heard of a single nursery that does graft them. Maybe Adam will attempt it now?  ;) (I suppose it's also possible to do airlayers.) Variation from seed? Obviously some as 2 i started from seed taste a bit different, as i posted above.
Oscar

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2014, 07:47:23 AM »
My grumichama fruit picture, only few but more than previous season

There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2014, 12:27:56 AM »
Quick question to the grumi growers here how do you treat the plant? I have been trimming all the suckers of the bottom and concentrating on a nice tree look but it grew nicely upwards then every branch just drooped to the ground and set like that. Looks terrible but that's how it wants to grrow and looks happy but would it be better as a scrubby bush and leave the suckers or keep taking them off?
Regards Don

Bronny

• Australia, South Wales, Gulmarrad, sub tropical.
    • View Profile
Grumichama
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2022, 12:23:37 AM »
I have a Grumichama growing in clay soil and it is producing lots of fruit at the moment, sweet and juicy. I fertilise with my home made seaweed fertiliser, and worm tea.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2022, 11:56:42 AM »
Hey, what should I do if I have two 1-year old seedlings per 4" pot of these?  Separate them when I up-pot, or leave them together?

I germinated several grumichama last year, but was out of materials and space, so put two seeds per 4" pot. :p  I plan to up-pot them in a month or two.

Thanks for recommendations!

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2022, 01:34:39 PM »
Suggest that you plant them together in pairs for better pollination.  It will be less stressful, too, since pulling or cutting them apart will stress or shock the roots.

Once they are old enough to bloom and set fruit you can evaluate the fruit and its flavor and if not so good or not productive you could prune one of the two away from each pair as necessary (or no)t and just leave the better tasting one(s).

That is what I would do in a situation similar to yours.

Paul M.
==

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2022, 10:17:00 PM »
Hey, what should I do if I have two 1-year old seedlings per 4" pot of these?  Separate them when I up-pot, or leave them together?

I germinated several grumichama last year, but was out of materials and space, so put two seeds per 4" pot. :p  I plan to up-pot them in a month or two.

Thanks for recommendations!
I assume these are the ones I sent you? If so I’m glad they’re doing well.
These are very hardy so separating them when you up pot them won’t harm them.
As mentioned they probably do better with another for pollination.
Mine didn’t want to set fruit this year for some weird reason.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2022, 09:00:50 AM »
Okay, thank you both!
Yes, J45, these are the ones from you, thanks again :)