Author Topic: Fallen bamboo leaves??  (Read 768 times)

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
Fallen bamboo leaves??
« on: December 26, 2020, 02:15:19 PM »
Will fallen bamboo leaves make great mulch for my fruit trees? 

My oldham bamboos drop leaves all year round.  Anyone know if them leaves any good for mulch?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 02:23:37 PM by Lovetoplant »

dom89

• Trinidad and Tobago
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen bamboo leaves??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 03:09:52 PM »
I know it's used as a natural mulch locally. It's really high in silica and takes a while to decompose.
If you have a chipper, you can also chip the half rotten trunks for added volume. Half rotten is needed since fresh bamboo could damage the machine.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 08:23:35 PM »
According to the bamboo section in my ECHO handbook, bamboo does best when you leave the natural leaf mulch in place because it keeps the soil moist and allows the plant to recycle nutrients. However, those same benefits would also apply to your fruit trees. I have seen a local person who rakes them up all the time and his bamboo is doing fine. He actually adds them to his tilapia pond, claiming that it improves the flavor of the meat. Presumably, this is because the tilapia are eating the algae that grows on the leaves instead of "bottom muck."

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 09:03:04 PM »
Thank you

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 10:20:06 AM »
Bamboo leaves "weave" together when left naturally (at least mine do). They come out in sheets when I rake them dry and the layer of leaves is even slightly thick. Good for keeping moisture in, but maybe not so great if you want even, easy water penetration. I use them in my compost, they definitely take a while to breakdown, I just make sure to mix them in thoroughly so a layer doesn't develop.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk