Author Topic: Canola oil for pests experience?  (Read 400 times)

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Canola oil for pests experience?
« on: October 22, 2023, 02:51:39 PM »
So I’ve taken millets advice and am using hort oil this year. Despite paraffin oils appearing safe (no cancer in rat study) I’m still a bit nervous about using them in my attached greenhouse. I bought a hazmat suit and respirator for when I need to nuke the room with an ultra fine oil. For regular use, I am currently using a canola oil pyrethrine product diluted to 1% and a hand spray bottle for small spot treatments (check all of my plants 2x/week), without any protective equipment. What are peoples thoughts on the efficacy and safety?

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: Canola oil for pests experience?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 03:23:08 PM »
I wen't down the non hazardous / non toxic route for plant pest control. Still noticed minor effects from many " natural " control agents, biological control agents. If you have safety equipment, I would be using it. If a spray tank line nozzle gets blocked or pops off, you can get drenched or hit in the face. It is probably pretty safe, but you don't need canola and pyrethrum in your eye or up your nose. Yes it probably takes longer to suit up than spray, but might be worth the hassle. On of my friends who worked long term in a fried food shop developed a lung disorder from the oil vapour, not uncommon it seems. You won't get that from occasionally spraying, but your being exposed to tiny atomised droplets, which is different to what the rats were tested on. I would go safety where possible.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 09:03:49 PM »
All the cautions you want to do, is up to you.  It is no ones business, except you.   Horticulture oil is as safe as you get, when you need something to control aphids, thrips, mealybugs, spider mites, white fly  etc.  Horticultural oil sprays is so safe it is even allowed to be used with organic gardening systems.  You will not find anything safer that actually works.  There are many branes of horticultural oils on the market, and Ultra Fine is the best and purest in my opinion.

Oil-based insecticides have come a long way in the last few decades.  Lighter and more versatile than the “dormant oils” of yesteryear, today’s horticultural oils can be used at most times of the year and are effective against a wide variety of insects.  They’re also among the most benign pesticides, decomposing within a few days of application and causing minimal harm to beneficial insects and other untargeted organisms.  Accordingly, many brands of horticultural oils are OMRI LISTED for organic gardening. (From USDA)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 09:36:18 PM by Millet »

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 02:52:49 PM »
I was looking a a bit of literature about occupational exposure to mineral oil/water emulsion aerosols with machining and manufacture. Despite being constantly exposed to mineral oil aerosols there was very little pulmonary effect, and I’m sure that is worse with the metal particulate.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 07:09:02 PM »
As far as I know hort oil overspray is not dangerous, if anyone finds evidence otherwise I would be interested to see.