Author Topic: What's wrong with this key lime tree?  (Read 346 times)

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
What's wrong with this key lime tree?
« on: November 21, 2023, 08:53:10 AM »
My in-laws are in Miami, they have a key lime they planted a couple years ago. This year all the leaves look twisted like this. Is this maybe HLB?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with this key lime tree?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 12:01:59 PM »
Nothing seems to be all that wrong with your tree.  The crinkling of the tree's leaves was caused by an insect called a thrip.   The damaged leaves are still producing energy to the tree.  This happened when the leave were still very new and young.  To prevent this happing to the next flush of leaves spray them with a good horticultural oil every 3 or 4 days until the firm up to kill the thrips.  Thrips are very tiny and extremely hard to see.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 12:23:48 PM »
Nothing seems to be all that wrong with your tree.  The crinkling of the tree's leaves was caused by an insect called a thrip.   The damaged leaves are still producing energy to the tree.  This happened when the leave were still very new and young.  To prevent this happing to the next flush of leaves spray them with a good horticultural oil every 3 or 4 days until the leaves firm up to kill the thrips.  Thrips are very tiny and extremely hard to see.

Ok thanks, I'll tell them that. They sent me photos because I'm "a fruit tree guy" but I won't let them know I don't know anything about south FL outdoor citrus growing, and just asked the forum instead  ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 06:43:03 PM by Millet »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 02:28:02 PM »
Other than the thrip damage, the tree looks great with no visible HLB at this time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 06:00:44 PM by Galatians522 »