Author Topic: can you pollinate atemoya with rollinia pollen?  (Read 1156 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
can you pollinate atemoya with rollinia pollen?
« on: May 07, 2019, 05:15:44 AM »
has anyone done this?  seems like all my atemoya flowers are always female at the wrong times... no males open   but i've got rollinia pollen for days.
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
Re: can you pollinate atemoya with rollinia pollen?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:51:28 AM »
With Annona, first day flower is narrowly open - it is a female stage. The next day the same flower opens widely, indicating a male stage. That’s when you collect the pollen in a little container. If no female flowers  found at this time, keep this container in refrigerator for up to 48 hrs. Next day look for female flowers and transfer pollen to them with a soft narrow brush. Collect fresh pollen from the male flowers. Flowers on my annonas are usually ready for pollination around 6 PM.

I did try to pollinate Rollinia with Atemoya pollen. Nothing took to far.
Zone Pusher

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:34:28 AM »
I tried pollinating Geffner atemoya with rollinia pollen. Still waiting to see if it worked. Will post results when more is known. Seems sugar apple or cherimoya would work.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »
I tried pollinating Geffner atemoya with rollinia pollen. Still waiting to see if it worked. Will post results when more is known. Seems sugar apple or cherimoya would work.

Im interested to hear if this has worked for you. 

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 08:37:56 PM »
sad to report the flower dropped. 1st time this tree flowered, so possible it just isn't ready to hold fruit yet. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk